Fire JDR !! or ??

RSkinGM

5 hours ago, mar29020 said:

who the heck is suggesting 3-4 defense? We were awful for a decade with that defense.

We were awful more bc of our poor defensive coaching and a lack of talent on the DL & S in the 3-4 last decade than the actual scheme being a problem. 

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we switch to the 3-4 but, if we are switching coordinators some of the defensive coordinators people are suggesting are defensive coordinators who run the 3-4 defense. 

Switching to the 3-4 doesn’t make sense for us mostly because Chase Young & Montez Sweat don’t fit the 3-4 D at all. They don’t even kind of fit if like Orakpo & Preston Smith did.

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

who the heck is suggesting 3-4 defense? We were awful for a decade with that defense.

It’s essentially what we’ve been running this year with the goofy five man line.  

If we go back to it though, I’d want to do it right, and that’s by hiring Fangio and making an investment in MLB, two things we never did for the past decade.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s essentially what we’ve been running this year with the goofy five man line.  

If we go back to it though, I’d want to do it right, and that’s by hiring Fangio and making an investment in MLB, two things we never did for the past decade.  

They ran a 5 man DL out of necessity though bc Rivera & the Marty’s did a crappy job improving the LB corps last off-season. If they don’t do a better job improving the LB position this off-season, I’m going to blow a fuse. They absolutely have to improve the MLB position more than they did last off-season. What they did or didn’t do was inexcusable last off-season.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They ran a 5 man DL out of necessity though bc Rivera & the Marty’s did a crappy job improving the LB corps last off-season. If they don’t do a better job improving the LB position this off-season, I’m going to blow a fuse. They absolutely have to improve the MLB position more than they did last off-season. What they did or didn’t do was inexcusable last off-season.

They also kept an excess of DL, a couple of whom do not fit a 3-4.  We need to decide what we want the front to really look like.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They also kept an excess of DL, a couple of whom do not fit a 3-4.  We need to decide what we want the front to really look like.  

Oh I think it’s clear we are going to run a 4-3 D. I don’t think there’s any question about it. I get it’s fun to discuss defensive scheme changes and defensive coaching changes but I don’t think Rivera is going to change one thing about his defense or offense other than bringing in more talent.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Oh I think it’s clear we are going to run a 4-3 D. I don’t think there’s any question about it. I get it’s fun to discuss defensive scheme changes and defensive coaching changes but I don’t think Rivera is going to change one thing about his defense or offense other than bringing in more talent.

Oh I know that, but we still need to decide what to do with Settle, Ioannidis and Payne, as well as find a rotational DE.  

8 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Oh I know that, but we still need to decide what to do with Settle, Ioannidis and Payne, as well as find a rotational DE.  

For me the answer is obvious that you trade Payne bc he’s going to cost too much to re-sign. Then, you re-sign Settle. It’s tricky though, I thought they should’ve already traded Payne at the trade deadline & also re-signed Settle.

I’m very concerned that Settle is going to leave & get to start somewhere. There’s a lot of teams he’d start on I think.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

For me the answer is obvious that you trade Payne bc he’s going to cost too much to re-sign. Then, you re-sign Settle. It’s tricky though, I thought they should’ve already traded Payne at the trade deadline & also re-signed Settle.

I’m very concerned that Settle is going to leave & get to start somewhere. There’s a lot of teams he’d start on I think.

I agree.  Settle should be a top priority.  He is a good player.

Although I don't want to lose Payne.  Payne was playing great for most of the year.  But we might want to consider trading him if we can get good compensation.  If they are keeping JDR that might be a reason to trade him because something isn't clicking with players and coaches.

• Like 1

Watching these Playoff defenses and how thy move around and come at you from differnt positions just makes us look so BLAH ! I still think ( even moreso ) we need changes. I don't know if Sam Mills has any say in how the D-line attacks an offense or not but we definately need new ideas !

BTW- In this deep dark cold Winter, take solace in the fact we did beat Tom Brady and the T B Buccaneers ! We really did . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Assuming Payne stays it doesn't make sense to pay a 4th DT imo.  He just doesn't play enough snaps.

Gotta agree here.  He is the type of player you replace with a 4-7th round pick, and quite frankly, is a player that the good teams let go to free agency because they usually draft well and have their replacement in house.  This is the perfect example of what the Ravens do in being selective in who they extend, which I think @e16bballmentioned in an other thread recently.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gotta agree here.  He is the type of player you replace with a 4-7th round pick, and quite frankly, is a player that the good teams let go to free agency because they usually draft well and have their replacement in house.  This is the perfect example of what the Ravens do in being selective in who they extend, which I think @e16bballmentioned in an other thread recently.  

Agreed.  Also before anyone states a late round pick won't provide good depth at DT, we drafted both Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle in the 5th round. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:43 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

If Settle walks and I expect he will bc I don’t expect Rivera to trade Payne & re-sign Settle or vice versa. I think we already have a 4th DT replacement on our roster in Daniel Wise. I guess it doesn’t hurt to take a late round DT to develop/compete w/ Wise but I was happy with what I saw out of wise in the preseason and in the small amount of snaps he got this year. I definitely think he can be our 3rd DT, maybe even more in time.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:51 PM, MKnight82 said:

Agreed.  Also before anyone states a late round pick won't provide good depth at DT, we drafted both Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle in the 5th round. 

Yep and also Daniel Wise looks like good depth too as a UDFA/vet min young DT pick up.

Edited by turtle28