Non-Power 5 Tackle Prospects

rocboysfootball

11 hours ago, RedGold said:

Raimann will be 25 by the time his rookie season starts.   Still like him, but he is 2-3 years older than most of the draftees.  

It's higher than most prospects for sure, but I'm fine with drafting a 25 year old if he is good enough, especially in the late 1st-early 2nd like Raimann is projected to go in. Unless someone is Brandon Weeden old at draft time, age doesn't matter much to me. You are only getting 4-5 years out of these guys anyway on their rookie contracts, when they are the most valuable.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It's higher than most prospects for sure, but I'm fine with drafting a 25 year old if he is good enough, especially in the late 1st-early 2nd like Raimann is projected to go in. Unless someone is Brandon Weeden old at draft time, age doesn't matter much to me. You are only getting 4-5 years out of these guys anyway on their rookie contracts, when they are the most valuable.

How many older guys that go in the first round actually pan out? I mean lets say 25+.

All the ones i can think of arent very good. But im actually gonna do the research with profootballref as my guide 

2020 - Arnette at 24, and hes on a PS somewhere.

2019 - Bradbury/McGary at 24. I think theyve rebounded to be decent/good this year, not to sure.

2018 - Hayden Hurst at 25! Found one and uh hes solid or bad? Dont even know what team hes on rn honestly, definitely not the Ravens.

2017 - Garrett Bolles. Hes actually a solid enough player for them after starting terribly.

2016/15 - Oldest players are 23

Not gonna go further, but Weeden and Danny Watkins are honorable mentions. So yeah definitely a mixed bag to say the least, even on 24 year olds in the first.

i wont discount because of age, but as far as first round status its up in the air.

On 1/4/2022 at 11:18 PM, RedGold said:

Raimann will be 25 by the time his rookie season starts.   Still like him, but he is 2-3 years older than most of the draftees.  

That's not necessarily bad. It means his rookie contract has all of his physical prime. 

On 1/5/2022 at 6:13 PM, Chiefer said:

How many older guys that go in the first round actually pan out? I mean lets say 25+.

All the ones i can think of arent very good. But im actually gonna do the research with profootballref as my guide 

2020 - Arnette at 24, and hes on a PS somewhere.

2019 - Bradbury/McGary at 24. I think theyve rebounded to be decent/good this year, not to sure.

2018 - Hayden Hurst at 25! Found one and uh hes solid or bad? Dont even know what team hes on rn honestly, definitely not the Ravens.

2017 - Garrett Bolles. Hes actually a solid enough player for them after starting terribly.

2016/15 - Oldest players are 23

Not gonna go further, but Weeden and Danny Watkins are honorable mentions. So yeah definitely a mixed bag to say the least, even on 24 year olds in the first.

i wont discount because of age, but as far as first round status its up in the air.

Usually, you are dealing with players with no growth potential. They are close to their physical prime and are well practiced at what they do well. That really does not apply to Raimann. 

You have had several solid older OL from Brigham Young. You have to ask why the player is only coming out at that age. With BYU it was Mormon who did missions, so they were out of football for two years, often married. they have the kind of stabilty and maturity coaches love. In this case, he's coming out of a non football background. Coming from Germany, you know that he played soccer his whole life which goes a long way to explaining his noted footwork. 

J

Not first round by Alejandro Villanueva was 24 when they Steelers switched him to OT.  I think Rainmann is a high 2nd rounder but I also do not think you will  find any LTs after him with his footwork.  Personally, I would have to think about taking Penning over Rainmann in the late 1st round IF I needed a LT.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That's not necessarily bad. It means his rookie contract has all of his physical prime. 

It wouldnt stop me from drafting him.   Just something that should be looked at,   He should be dominating against guys he’s that much older than.   Rainmann has other stuff that prevented him from doing so, but why is it just now clicking for him.    What happens when he’s not physically more mature than the other players.     I’d take him in the 2nd, but I typically don’t like guys looking for their first big payday 29 years+.    

Edited by RedGold

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

It would stop me from drafting him.   Just something that should be looked at,   He should be dominating against guys he’s that much older than.   Rainmann has other stuff that prevented him from doing so, but why is it just now clicking for him.    What happens when he’s not physically more mature than the other players.     I’d take him in the 2nd, but I typically don’t like guys looking for their first big payday 29 years+.    

Not me but it's OK to drop him a bit.

The question is how much of a drop is appropriate. If he would be evaluated at say  #20-#25 then I have no problem taking him at #30-#35. 

J

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Usually, you are dealing with players with no growth potential. They are close to their physical prime and are well practiced at what they do well. That really does not apply to Raimann. 

You have had several solid older OL from Brigham Young. You have to ask why the player is only coming out at that age. With BYU it was Mormon who did missions, so they were out of football for two years, often married. they have the kind of stabilty and maturity coaches love. In this case, he's coming out of a non football background. Coming from Germany, you know that he played soccer his whole life which goes a long way to explaining his noted footwork. 

J

I was just listing the first round prospects, he probably doesn’t make it there, but just going off history hes got a decent chance since hes an OL.  

Never said he couldnt make it in the NfL because of his age, I know with age comes maturity. Hes also a grown man dominating against 18-20 year olds, which has to play a factor. All these things are factors.(how many BYU guys actually make it post-mission btw?) 

15 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I was just listing the first round prospects, he probably doesn’t make it there, but just going off history hes got a decent chance since hes an OL.  

Never said he couldnt make it in the NfL because of his age, I know with age comes maturity. Hes also a grown man dominating against 18-20 year olds, which has to play a factor. All these things are factors.(how many BYU guys actually make it post-mission btw?) 

I think he is one of a group that is in the 1st/2nd border which would make him suitable for the Chiefs.

The all star games will tell us more, because his ceiling looks really good. I think he's a lot better than Trevor Penning, from Northern Iowa, that is getting spotted at the end of the 1st round. 

J