Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Q Tarantino)

vike daddy

Quentin Tarantino has finished the screenplay for his 9th movie, and following the Harvey Weinstein allegations, he is seeking a new studio home. Some of the first details on director Quentin Tarantino's Manson Family Murders Movie have surfaced and it's quite a bit different than we'd previously been led to expect. Originally, the still untitled movie was said to focus on Charles Manson and the Manson family murders. However, a new report has surfaced as studios have started bidding on the project that reveals Charles Manson and his string of murders will only be a small element of Tarantino's upcoming movie. Here's how the project is being described.

"There has been a lot of press that the script focuses on Charles Manson and the murder spree he orchestrated, but I'm told that is akin to calling Inglourious Basterds a movie about Adolf Hitler, when the Nazi leader was only in a scene or two."

The movie, which is only being referred to as #9 currently, as it's Quentin Tarantino's ninth feature, is said to be a drama set in late '60s-early '70s Los Angeles and most closely resembles Pulp Fiction, which was also set in Los Angeles. It was previously revealed that Margot Robbie (Suicide Squad) has been offered the role of Charles Manson's murder victim Sharon Tate, but a few of Tarantino's previous collaborators are also being eyed to star. Though no casting has been locked down, the director has written roles for and had talks with Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson. Jennifer Lawrence was also reportedly in talks to star at one point.

https://movieweb.com/quentin-tarantino-new-movie-manson-family-script-details/

Edited by vike daddy

Really wish he would have gone with a genre he's never done before.  Science fiction, horror.  I'll also be very disappointed if he doesn't grow the hell up about his, "Only ten movies," crap.  He hasn't made a bad movie yet, and the least he could do is wait until he's made a bad movie before he quits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vanity Fair reports that a source who was trying out for the movie has read the script and it does include the recently deceased Charles Manson and the murders that he ordered, but as a background element tied together by Sharon Tate, who was murdered at the hands of the Manson family. The movie is reportedly about a, "TV actor who's had one hit series and is looking for a way to get into the film business." The actor is joined by his "sidekick - who's also his stunt double" who, as it turns out, is also looking to take a shot at making it big in feature length movies.

The Manson murders, then, will be a background element, with one of his followers' victims, Sharon Tate, presumably linking the two stories together. As has been reported previously, Tarantino has set his sights on Margot Robbie for the role of Tate, which suggests that part may be significant.

Sources told Vanity Fair that Quentin Tarantino wanted a $95 million production budget, final cut, and "extraordinary creative controls" over the project. On top of that, Tarantino reportedly asked for 25 percent of the gross and rights to the movie revert to him after 10 to 20 years, which isn't entirely uncommon at all.  Another insider added that the movie, working title number 9, would have to make $375 million worldwide to break even, but conceded Tarantino didn't get the 25 percent.

With some A-list actors reportedly lined up for Quentin Tarantino's 9th movie and Sony backing the project, it looks like it's almost lift-off time. Though the plot details that were revealed are still pretty vague, it seems right up Tarantino's alley and it will bring the director back to Los Angeles where some of his most popular movies have taken place, including Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. 

https://movieweb.com/quentin-tarantino-new-movie-number-9-story-details/

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, O'Doyle Rules said:

Pulp fiction and reservoir dogs are good but overrated to me. Django was OK till the last 20-30 minutes. Found inglorious (didn't finish) and his latest one boring.

I'm all over the place on QT

• Like Reservoir Dogs, but think it's over rated
  • Love Pulp Fiction, that's a modern classic imo
  • Can't stand Jackie Brown
  • Kill Bill Vol 1 is great
  • Kill Bill Vol 2 isn't nearly as good, but is ok
  • Didn't really care for Death Proof, not even sure if I finished it
  • Inglourious Basterds is extremely over rated.  Outside of the café scene, that scene is great.
  • Django Unchained is pretty meh.  Wasn't terrible, don't really care to watch it again either
  • Haven't seen Hateful 8, but I'm sure I will at some point

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:
  • Like Reservoir Dogs, but think it's over rated
  • his best film IMO or at least my favorite
  • Love Pulp Fiction, that's a modern classic imo
  • great film but many think too highly of it
  • Kill Bill Vol 1 is great
  • Kill Bill Vol 2 isn't nearly as good, but is ok
  • Vol 1 has a better "ending" and better action, hard for me to separate the two, I kind of view them as one long film
  • Inglourious Basterds is extremely over rated.  Outside of the café scene, that scene is great.
  • Christoph Waltz makes this film close to perfect, IMO, it's my #2 behind RD
  • Django Unchained is pretty meh.  Wasn't terrible, don't really care to watch it again either
  • I like the way this film seamless switches from hilarious to heartbreaking to dramatic and back again, very good film

Left out the ones I've not seen.

Honestly, Hateful 8 may be my second favorite film from QT, outside of Pulp Fiction. It looked pretty boring when it first came out and I only stumbled onto it recently because I saw it was on Netflix or Amazon Prime (can't remember which one). Was oddly unique, but incredibly true to his style of filmmaking. Great performances all-around.

As for the topic at hand, I'm looking forward to this. Not all QT movies are great, but I have yet to watch one that I didn't at least enjoy, in some capacity.