Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Q Tarantino)

vike daddy

Inglourious Basterds is a landmark, future iconic classic movie that is my absolute favorite war movie ever.  It's a 10/10, one of less than 30 movies I have rated as 10/10.  It is still the most profound theater-going movie experience of my life and I was so impressed with it that I sat through every minute of the credits just kinda stunned at how good it was.  I think a big part of it had to do with how poor the advertising was and that I was totally expecting something completely different. 

Django Unchained literally made a subgenre.  The Southern.  It's a classic just below Inglourious Basterds.  9/10 because it loses itself a little bit at times.

The Hateful Eight would be an all-time unforgettable, top 100 must watch movie ever made if it wasn't for two flaws that I just can't overlook.  It would have been without a doubt in my mind my second favorite movie of all time if these two flaws didn't exist.  They were: The Narration.  It ruined a major twist, it was WAY OUT OF PLACE FOR A WESTERN, and it was obnoxious.  It should have been cut completely.  The Flashback.  It had zero suspense and it tried to be suspenseful.  How could you not see that you're not going to have any suspense if you literally know which characters are alive or dead already?  Yet Tarantino tried to lay on the suspense.  It would have been wildly suspenseful and an all-time great scene if it came before, but it didn't.  It was ruined.  8/10. 

Pulp Fiction.  People judge this one too harshly because it's praised too much.  It doesn't deserve either.  It's a damn good movie, but not some top 100 all-time masterpiece.  8/10

Reservoir Dogs.  Without context of how Tarantino made it, it's meh.  With context, it's much better than meh.  It's one of the reasons Tarantino deserves as much credit as he does for his career.  He basically made filmmaking anybody's game.  8/10

Kill Bill I consider one movie.  The whole Samurai swordplay assassin wasn't my thing.  The anime interruption was definitely not my thing.  Above most movies made, but below my standards for Tarantino.  7/10.

Jackie Brown.  It was also very meh, but with great performances and some great dark humor.  7/10.

Death Proof.  I really wish he didn't consider this one of his movies and just considered it a fun little segment in a Grindhouse double feature.  Kurt Russell makes it what little good it is, but it's just... Meh.  Why?  6/10. 

I have a feeling this next one, based on everything I've read about it, will be somewhere between a 7-9. 

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The anime interruption was definitely not my thing.

I've heard this a lot. I get it. But there was so much absurdity in that film. The sound effects are so over the top, the purposefully cheap sets and backgrounds at times, the cut away to a pedo-violent-themed anime.. lot of weirdness to unpack. I could see how it was jarring.

Thought this may have already been posted but the plot has been revealed.

“Set in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969… [the film] focuses on a male TV actor who’s had one hit series and is looking for a way to get into the film business,” according to Vanity Fair. “His sidekick — who’s also his stunt double — is looking for the same thing. The horrific murder of Sharon Tate and four of her friends by Charles Manson’s cult of followers serves as a backdrop to the main story.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/plot-quentin-tarantino-charles-manson-195548292.html

So it's confirmed that the film doesn't specifically focus on Manson and the murders, it's just taking place in the background.

Edited by RamRod

16 minutes ago, August4th said:

hope tom lands the role..I like leo and brad but would like to see what tom and QT can cook up

Same. Tom is one of my favorite actors and I'd love to see what him and QT can do. It's been awhile since we've seen Tom in a dramatic role. It seems like he's doing nothing but action movies lately.

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

The Flashback.  It had zero suspense and it tried to be suspenseful.  How could you not see that you're not going to have any suspense if you literally know which characters are alive or dead already?  Yet Tarantino tried to lay on the suspense.  It would have been wildly suspenseful and an all-time great scene if it came before, but it didn't

If the flashback came first, wouldn't it spoil who the gang was?

Edited by MathMan

Just now, MathMan said:

If the flashback came first, wouldn't it spoil who the gang was?

Yes, so there really was no place for the flashback at all.  It was a great scene, but Tarantino should have cut it because it had no place in that movie.  I think the only reason it was kept was to explain Dern's character. 

15 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, so there really was no place for the flashback at all.  It was a great scene, but Tarantino should have cut it because it had no place in that movie.  I think the only reason it was kept was to explain Dern's character. 

I agree with you 100 percent about the narration. Makes me think there's gotta be a cut with the narration removed, and just music playing or something

• 2 weeks later...