The Browns 2022 Offseason thread- retooling the rebuild.

Kiwibrown

Significant contracts coming to an end

1. Malik Jackson- I say he is gone

2. Anthony Walker- try and bring him back on the same contract 3-4 million per year

3. Njoku- let him test the market and maybe leave

4. Clowney, Id try and get him back on a 1-2 year deal, slight pay increase.

5. MJ Stewart, Id pay him two years 6-8 million

6. Ronnie Harrison, see ya buddy. 

AJ Green and Malik Mcdowell, id resign on the ERFA if they are up, keep developing them. 

Contracts that would be great to move on

Landry, hate to see him be cut, but 40 yards per game, Im not paying 40 million for that. He is in a similair position ot Baker, he looked great until he got hurt, he got hurt early. His value is at an all time low. 

Hooper. He looks like he is running in mud. So slow, we either figure out a new job for him as a route runner or move on. His blocking isnt that good either. 

Malik is almost definitely gone. He's washed.

Walker I'd be okay bringing back on another one year deal, but hopefully as a backup.

Njoku I'd bring back depending on the contract, but I have a feeling another team will offer him more money.

Clowney we need to bring back. I'd be hesitant given his injury history, but he's been very good for us.

Stewart I'd also like to bring back. He's looked good the past few weeks. Don't think he'd get a particularly big offer in the open market.

Harrison is likely gone. Wouldn't hate to see him brought back on a cheap deal, but won't be real upset if we lose him.

Green has been solid for a UDFA in his second year. McDowell we need to bring back because he's been the best DT of a rather mediocre group.

Landry I'd bring back if he's willing to take a substantial pay cut. Otherwise, it's been nice knowing you, Juice.

I'm not sure what the cap penalty will be like to get rid of Hooper, but he needs to be released. He'd be fine if he was making about 50% of his current salary, but he's vastly overpaid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Malik is almost definitely gone. He's washed.

Walker I'd be okay bringing back on another one year deal, but hopefully as a backup.

Njoku I'd bring back depending on the contract, but I have a feeling another team will offer him more money.

Clowney we need to bring back. I'd be hesitant given his injury history, but he's been very good for us.

Stewart I'd also like to bring back. He's looked good the past few weeks. Don't think he'd get a particularly big offer in the open market.

Harrison is likely gone. Wouldn't hate to see him brought back on a cheap deal, but won't be real upset if we lose him.

Green has been solid for a UDFA in his second year. McDowell we need to bring back because he's been the best DT of a rather mediocre group.

Landry I'd bring back if he's willing to take a substantial pay cut. Otherwise, it's been nice knowing you, Juice.

I'm not sure what the cap penalty will be like to get rid of Hooper, but he needs to be released. He'd be fine if he was making about 50% of his current salary, but he's vastly overpaid.

If we cut Hooper post June 1 there is a 3.75 hit and a 9.5 in savings so that seems like a no brainer. Cut him prior to that and there is a 11.25 hit a 2 in savings so it seems pretty obvious when he will be cut.

Conklin post June 1 would be a 3 hit and 12 in savings.

Tretter would be 8.25 in savings whenever we would cut him (I really like him but if we're retooling...)

Landry saves 15.1

Keenum would save 6.5.

I don't think Clowney will be interested in resigning. He played with heart but he probably would rather go somewhere more fitting.

Janovich would save 1.6, no one else really is worth mentioning.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Tretter is a trade option imo. Harris looked solid at center and tretter could get us a 5th or a 6th. 

Maybe. he would be due 8.25 from his new team and that isn't bad for a very good center. He'll be 31 soon so that isn't all that old for a C.

Conklin would be owed 12 so there may not be much interest in him after his injury. He will only be 28 though.

No one is trading for Hooper.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe. he would be due 8.25 from his new team and that isn't bad for a very good center. He'll be 31 soon so that isn't all that old for a C.

Conklin would be owed 12 so there may not be much interest in him after his injury. He will only be 28 though.

No one is trading for Hooper.

I could see Atlanta bringing  Hooper back, they know how to use him better.

Legitimately didn't think the rift between Stefanski and Baker was at all a thing, but the more I read the more convinced I am that we'll have a different starting QB in 2022. I hate to say this, but the team could be closer to rebuilding than revamping. 

We're likely parting ways with...

Baker, Jarvis, Hooper, Keenum (all for good reason in my estimation). 

I also find it unlikely Clowney and Njoku are going to want to re-sign here. 

We're going to have starting holes at QB, TE, WR, DT, DE, MLB, P. 

Additionally we'll need depth at S, DE, OT, TE, and WR. That's 12 spots on the team we'll need decent players/draft picks to hold down. Yikes.

The saving grace of the situation is that the team is as good as the systems and game-plans are being followed. Despite pretty terrible QB play, a barrage of injuries, uneven defense, and wide receivers forgetting how to play, this team was only completely destroyed like twice this season. In my mind, Stefanski is still the man, we just have to give him the guys he needs to do his thing and we'll be alright in the long run. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Stefanski is still the man, we just have to give him the guys he needs to do his thing and we'll be alright in the long run. 

Less of a Stenfanski fan at the moment than I have been.

He's not going anywhere I know, for now at least.

But I am questioning how far he can take us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

If we're talking solid starters I think we can get for cheap, I like these names: 

Derek Barnett, DE

Zach Ertz, TE

Jamison Crowder, WR

Alexander Johnson, LB

Using @Thomas5737 numbers from cuts, and not signing Mayfield to an extension, we should have more than enough for them and much more, if they are willing to come here.

Someone posted that we might need replacements at as many as 12 positions.

That's 4.

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

If we're talking solid starters I think we can get for cheap, I like these names: 

Derek Barnett, DE

Zach Ertz, TE

Jamison Crowder, WR

Alexander Johnson, LB

From an on field and locker room perspective, Zach Ertz intrigues me. 

With that said, with him on the back side of his career, I’m not sure I see him signing up to play in this offense. Fair or unfair there is a real stigma of being a pass catcher for Mayfield right now. Or any big name FA WRs. Signed me up though if we could do this.

In order of priorities, I would give the play calling to Van Pelt and demand Stefanski be a head coach.

Mayfield decision already made when Berry exercised option.  Let Case go and resign Mullins!  Maybe a FA QB like Trubisky or Darnold might make sense.

Underperforming contracts like Landry, Hooper, et al need to be restructured or dismissed.  Cap space and money need to be resolved before Trades and free agency.

On offense, obvious needs are WR and TE maybe C and backup T

On defense, needs are DT, LB and d backfield assuming we keep either Stewart or Harrison

On special teams, we need K and P