Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

After a troubling start to the season, the Vikings’ pass rush came alive in Week 6 against the Miami Dolphins, posting a season-best 85.0 Pro Football Focus grade.

Za’Darius Smith led the way with two sacks, two hits and seven hurries for 11 pressures and a 92.0 PFF defensive grade. Starting running mate Danielle Hunter found his footing after a slow start to the season with a sack, two hits and three hurries for six total pressures and a 90.2 defensive grade. Second-year edge rusher Patrick Jones was third with four total pressures on two sacks and two hurries for a 76.2 defensive grade.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/los-angeles-rams-chiefs-benton-whitley/?fbclid=IwAR1Pwax4FaB566B3uZnfd0eGyPEQKImn0o95fPw0mQ3DPrSAyI_nJ9s67SI

35 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

After a troubling start to the season, the Vikings’ pass rush came alive in Week 6 against the Miami Dolphins, posting a season-best 85.0 Pro Football Focus grade.

Za’Darius Smith led the way with two sacks, two hits and seven hurries for 11 pressures and a 92.0 PFF defensive grade. Starting running mate Danielle Hunter found his footing after a slow start to the season with a sack, two hits and three hurries for six total pressures and a 90.2 defensive grade. Second-year edge rusher Patrick Jones was third with four total pressures on two sacks and two hurries for a 76.2 defensive grade.

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/los-angeles-rams-chiefs-benton-whitley/?fbclid=IwAR1Pwax4FaB566B3uZnfd0eGyPEQKImn0o95fPw0mQ3DPrSAyI_nJ9s67SI

I mean, they were playing with two backup OTs and backup QBs......I'm not going to get too excited just yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

I mean, they were playing with two backup OTs and backup QBs......I'm not going to get too excited just yet.

Exactly, and honestly Connor Williams is playing out of position as well and not sure he is that great of center at all, surprise they did not have him at guard.

OT Brandon Shell
OG Robert Hunt
C Connor Williams
OG Liam Eichenberg
OT Greg Little

Without Terron Armstead and Austin Jackson at OT.

Still it is really pathetic to give up almost 400 yards passing to backup QBs.  If Miami did not turn it over late I imagine the Dolphins would have taken the lead 17-16 and possibly won the game.  And based on the yards they had early they should have won the game even with those backups, but Vikings struggled against backups on the Saints also.

Sure they are 5-1 but honestly they will get kicked in the butt pretty soon here unless they clean some things up.  And it would be nice for once they get a decent lead, end the game and stop allowing the other team back into the game.  But maybe all these wins will give them some level of confidence regardless of circumstance.  

Also Darrisaw, some talked as if he was the top rated LT in the NFL, yeah sure did not look like that against Miami, didn't Phillips beat him more than once in that game?  And Raekwon absolutely crushed Bradbury a few times but that is to be expected.  

A win is a win though, and Bynum sure has impressed and Patrick Jones continues to play great and really take to that 3/4 D.  But Harrison Phillips honestly pretty disappointed in his play in general along with that entire DL, also Blacklock barely even gets in there and Lynch has not looked great either.  They really need a strong NT and that is something they do not have.  

• Like 2

Amid a culture change that has Minnesota 5-1 coming out of the bye week, Cam Dantzler spoke candidly about the past two years as the third-year corner is undergoing a renaissance season.

Dantzler: “I got my swagger back. They have faith in me now with what I can do and they make me play freely and be me. Nobody knows the inside story. There was more to it with me and Coach [Zimmer] last year. Outside looking in, you really don’t know as much. There was a lot going on last year. It was a roller-coaster for me.”

“They brought Breeland in and I feel like they just threw me to the side. I was like, ‘Damn. Am I good enough?’ I was questioning myself. Young guy. Second year. Just coming off a… I wouldn’t say ‘great’ rookie year. But toward the end, I improved a lot. I had that confidence and swagger into Year 2. And then when I got hurt, it was, ‘OK, we don’t need him anymore. Let’s throw him to the side.’ I felt abandoned."

“Everybody tried to make it seem like I was out-battled. Breeland is a great player. But I don’t feel I was out-battled. My spot was given away before it was even fought for. It was like, ‘OK. He’s going to be the starter. He’s going to be our guy.’ They just threw me to the side.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/cameron-dantzler-comeback-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR3dujX8T0wxlubs-j-Pl_5Wi6Z8NwzwL3YlY2ADP198ysRnVX4iEdJXLqU

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Amid a culture change that has Minnesota 5-1 coming out of the bye week, Cam Dantzler spoke candidly about the past two years as the third-year corner is undergoing a renaissance season.

Dantzler: “I got my swagger back. They have faith in me now with what I can do and they make me play freely and be me. Nobody knows the inside story. There was more to it with me and Coach [Zimmer] last year. Outside looking in, you really don’t know as much. There was a lot going on last year. It was a roller-coaster for me.”

“They brought Breeland in and I feel like they just threw me to the side. I was like, ‘Damn. Am I good enough?’ I was questioning myself. Young guy. Second year. Just coming off a… I wouldn’t say ‘great’ rookie year. But toward the end, I improved a lot. I had that confidence and swagger into Year 2. And then when I got hurt, it was, ‘OK, we don’t need him anymore. Let’s throw him to the side.’ I felt abandoned."

“Everybody tried to make it seem like I was out-battled. Breeland is a great player. But I don’t feel I was out-battled. My spot was given away before it was even fought for. It was like, ‘OK. He’s going to be the starter. He’s going to be our guy.’ They just threw me to the side.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/cameron-dantzler-comeback-nfl-news/?fbclid=IwAR3dujX8T0wxlubs-j-Pl_5Wi6Z8NwzwL3YlY2ADP198ysRnVX4iEdJXLqU

And it was obvious last year. Dantzler was better than Zimmer’s scheme and Zimmer couldn’t handle it. When Dantzler was on the field, he was clearly better than what he was replacing. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 9:27 AM, SemperFeist said:

The Breeland move was one of the weirdest under Zimmer. 

Yes, I never understood that move, especially since based on his play here in KC before, he was the most un-Zimmer like CB to ever sign here.  He was exactly what Zimmer didn't want in his CBs, inconsistent and undisciplined.