Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Why would they move on from a top 15 performer at his position? Smith isn’t nearly this effective without Hunter. Hunter and Smith are bargains as the 19th and 20th highest paid edge rushers by AAV.

Just saying, if a first round pick could be leveraged in a trade for Hunter and they feel Wonnum could be an okay replacement, it might be worth pursuing. Wouldn’t want to give him away but we may need assets to chase a new QB or upgrade the secondary. 

30 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Just saying, if a first round pick could be leveraged in a trade for Hunter and they feel Wonnum could be an okay replacement, it might be worth pursuing. Wouldn’t want to give him away but we may need assets to chase a new QB or upgrade the secondary. 

A bird in the hand is worth two in Busch Stadium or something. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It would need to be an offer that blew them away, I think. Having two elite edges is difficult enough for most teams, and having two that complement each other this well is almost impossible. Add in very reasonable contracts and that seems like an asset worth more than the sum of its parts.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Wonder if they consider moving on from Hunter next year. Seems like Smith is the better fit for the defense where maybe Hunter might be a more appealing option to trade to a 4-3 team where he was a top tier pass rusher. 

Let me present the cap answer to this question due to our restructure of Hunter we would lose 5.7 million dollars in cap space by trading him before June 1st and after that we would gain a 5.5 million dollars with 7.6 million in dead cap and our void years could also accelerate I'm not sure on that it probably isn't too viable to move on from him.

https://overthecap.com/player/danielle-hunter/3936/

Edited by solidvikingfan
  • Like 1

Harrison Smith's interception was his fourth this season and the 33rd of his career. He's now had a pick in three consecutive games for the first time in his career.

When asked about his recent string of takeaways, Smith credited Minnesota's pressure up front to allow plays like he's had to unfold.

Smith: "I'd say it definitely starts up front. And then the defensive scheme, we like to keep stuff as muddy as we can, so it kind of all works together."

https://www.vikings.com/news/harrison-smith-iinterception-sparks-comeback-victory-week-9

When Patrick Peterson was asked about his future NFL plans, remaining in Minnesota and retiring a Viking, the veteran CB responded:

“No doubt about it. I don’t want to go anywhere else. I’m not trying to go anywhere but Minnesota. I love everything around here. I would love to stay put.”

https://purpleptsd.com/2022/vikings/top_news/dont-expect-patrick-peterson-to-leave-the-vikings-anytime-soon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 3

On 11/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Danielle Hunter doesn't have the stats this year, but he's playing very well. He's opening things up for other guys to make plays.

He's the defense's Justin Jefferson!

Exactly! Zadarius' sack and pressures totals have benefitted from opposing OL using more than on player to defend against Danielle.  The latter has played well so far this season, considering where he's been stationed, and what he's been asked to do in the new, 3-4 system.

• Like 2

Many bring up a lot of stats on how good the Vikings D is.

Heard on the game today by an announcer, Minnesota Vikings have the worst red zone defense in the NFL.  Sure might be decent in scoring technically but when teams get down they, they are the worst one.

So not a good sign there, and that DL is an issue more and more especially with all the injuries.  Wish they got the run game going more, keep the D off the field and shorten the game.