Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

According to FootballOutsiders, they are average...ranked #18 overall in DVOA.  Yes, their pass DVOA isn't great at #24, but I think people need to stop looking at pass yards against, net yards against or whatever random statistic they are using to judge the defense.  They are #4 in turnovers and for all the yards they've given up through the air, they've given up the 15th least number of TDs through the air (10th most on the ground).  They've committed the 7th most penalties by yards on defense, but the 10th least 1st downs by penalties.  They're inconsistent, but they are the best when they need to be, as the mantra has gone.  I don't think we should really have expected a lot.  They've actually outperformed what I expected because of their situational prowess.  

Stats are fine but when every single game comes down to the final possession, and you let third string QBs appear as though they’re all-world QBs, you’re simply not a very good defense. I don’t know anyone that is okay with this type of defensive play. 

“Good when they have to be” has also included a whole lot of luck this season. I’m not complaining, but we have to be realistic about what to expect from them in the postseason. 

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Morlee said:

Stats are fine but when every single game comes down to the final possession, and you let third string QBs appear as though they’re all-world QBs, you’re simply not a very good defense. I don’t know anyone that is okay with this type of defensive play. 

“Good when they have to be” has also included a whole lot of luck this season. I’m not complaining, but we have to be realistic about what to expect from them in the postseason. 

They definitely weren’t good when we needed them to be against Philly and Dallas. That’s who you likely have to get through to get to the superbowl. Not confident that this is a championship caliber defense as it relates to the offenses ability to put up points (which isn’t always good minus the 4th quarter).

Certainly.  

2 minutes ago, Morlee said:

I agree with you, but this defense, no matter the scheme, has allowed 3rd-string QBs appear to be all-world for several years (Cooper Rush is the primary example, but there have certainly been others), which maybe puts it on the players themselves that have been acquired in that time.  I'm not satisfied, but there have been improvements.  Doesn't make them good, but it doesn't make them the worst either. 

Outside of a handful of teams (49ers most notably) though, there isn't a lot of good defense being played and it's made worse by the rules.  The Cowboys, as a primary example, have a very good defense, but they are liable to be exploited at times, as evidenced by them getting torched by the Bears and Packers' offenses.  

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Bottom ten in points allowed. Anyone see it getting better?

Not with the players we have available. Not with ED in charge of it. I know firing coaches this late in the season is beyond rare, but isn’t this an acceptable case to do so? I’m assuming he has his hands all over it, while lending an ear to the assistant coaches. I wouldn’t know as I’m not in the coaches room.m, but I’m sure I’ve seen Pettine coach better defenses than this. 

Can’t we just rid ourselves of Donatell and give the defense to Pettine for the rest of the year? I don’t want to just hand off play calling duties, as I feel he would still have some say in what happens. I don’t want him anywhere near the defense. Barring injury, this defense can’t possibly be any worst. Remove luck out of the situation, and there are a number of games this season that make this defense look like a D2 school, and we likely lose those games. Not really, but you get my point. 

4 hours ago, Morlee said:

Not with the players we have available. Not with ED in charge of it. I know firing coaches this late in the season is beyond rare, but isn’t this an acceptable case to do so? I’m assuming he has his hands all over it, while lending an ear to the assistant coaches. I wouldn’t know as I’m not in the coaches room.m, but I’m sure I’ve seen Pettine coach better defenses than this. 

Can’t we just rid ourselves of Donatell and give the defense to Pettine for the rest of the year? I don’t want to just hand off play calling duties, as I feel he would still have some say in what happens. I don’t want him anywhere near the defense. Barring injury, this defense can’t possibly be any worst. Remove luck out of the situation, and there are a number of games this season that make this defense look like a D2 school, and we likely lose those games. Not really, but you get my point. 

Are you saying that it can't get worse?

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How is changing D-coordinators at this stage going to help? Most Packers fans felt the same way about Pettine 

I don’t think it will help now. Next year, it has to be done. Point is we aren’t going anywhere in the playoffs if we have to get in shootouts and i don’t think there’s anything that can be done about that for the current season. This offense isn’t consistent enough to compete in 30+ point games. The offense shuts down for long stretches while the defense gets gashed.