Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

Vikings Head Coach Kevin O'Connell was midway through distributing game balls in the locker room:

"Two sacks, seven tackles. He was all over the place. Where's Danielle Hunter?"

Hunter humbly raised his hand, and the former quarterback spun him a spiral over the heads of teammates and staff.

The answer during the game was in the Giants backfield where he led an aggressive disruption of New York quarterback Daniel Jones in a 27-24 Vikings victory Saturday at U.S. Bank Stadium. Hunter was credited with four of Minnesota's quarterback hits on the day.

Hunter: "Just keep being persistent, keying off little things. We're all focused as a team. We had a little change of scheme, but everyone was doing their jobs and some of us were getting home. You just can't be scared, because you don't want to power rush the entire game because that's how guys get tired. Sometimes in games like this, you've just got to take your shot."

https://www.vikings.com/news/danielle-hunter-leads-surge-defense-against-giants-at-key-times

The D in 2023 might look vastly different then the D this year. Tomlinson, PP, Shelley and Tonga are all UFAs. Hicks, Kendricks, Zadarius (probably not, but maybe) could all be cap casualties. 

Hopefully they find some space to re-sign Shelley and Tonga. I think they'll cut one between Kendricks and Hicks (you save a lot more by cutting Kendricks). I would probably cut both, give Asamoah one ILB spot, and then find a cheaper ILB in free agency

• Like 2

Za’Darius and Tomlinson have both earned extensions. And extensions would likely lower their 2023 cap numbers. 

Hicks can easily be moved on from, with Asamoah taking his place. Kendricks needs to take a significant pay cut in a restructure to be worth keeping around. 

And if Peterson is willing to come back at a similar price point, he too should get an extension. Likely lowering his cap number. 

There are a lot of ways for the Vikings to create cap space. That’s not really a concern. The bigger concern is the very weak free agent class, and few draft resources. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

The Eagles are the 2nd best D in the NFL in terms of yards given up and #1 pass defense in the NFL in terms of yards allowed per game.  Tonga has played well no question but Jordan Davis has been hurt this year and missed a good amount of time.  Tonga simply was not on a roster, that is why his snap count is similar to Davis who has not played great as a rookie.

Getting production is great and having good grades is great, but the Vikings defense is freaking awful regardless of this one guy doing well or that one guy doing ok.  The unit is failing across the board and will not be constantly bailed out by the offense.  

But go ahead and take Khyiris Tonga over Jordan Davis.   By the way who knew Tonga before this season?  I did when he was on BYU and he should have easily be a higher pick than a 7th rounder and it was a shocker the Bears cut him.  Still the Vikings DL is pretty weak and even with say Tonga, Tomlinson and Phillips they are not destroying dudes out there.  Otomewo has played very well for the Vikings also, still as a unit until they actually stop people and make plays that get the D off the field, all of it is just stat collection.  

The fact Hunter and Z. Smith both have 10 sacks, great but again the D sucks and gets walked up and down the field game after game.  Individual stats again are great defensively but unless the unit dominates who cares, you either make plays and get off the field or you do not.  I still say Hunter is not a fit for this scheme at all and was far more impactful in a 4/3 and way more controlled and strong at the point of attack.  Now they just rush wildly to just get after the QB and apparently that is all that matters regardless of what you leave behind you.  

• Like 2

How is it relevant that you knew who Tonga was before this year? I know why they’re snap counts are similar. He’s played as well as Jordan Davis this year. If they can get that kind of production out of a player at that price it’s a building block for improving the defense next year. Hunter is a fit in this defense and has been doing his job all year. Go back and watch the games if you don’t think so. 

New athletic ILBs, better depth at the 5T and NT, more experience from the CBs and less off coverage, with more blitzes and this defense will work. Raise the floor of the roster and make small scheme/play calling tweaks and they can be an average unit next year.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

How is it relevant that you knew who Tonga was before this year? I know why they’re snap counts are similar. He’s played as well as Jordan Davis this year. If they can get that kind of production out of a player at that price it’s a building block for improving the defense next year. Hunter is a fit in this defense and has been doing his job all year. Go back and watch the games if you don’t think so. 

New athletic ILBs, better depth at the 5T and NT, more experience from the CBs and less off coverage, with more blitzes and this defense will work. Raise the floor of the roster and make small scheme/play calling tweaks and they can be an average unit next year.

Only if the coach agrees they need tweaking. Has any team bottom ten in points allowed gone far in the playoffs recently? 

I dont think the defense is that far off; scheme just needs to manufacture more pressure at certain times.

But 2024 is going to be interesting in terms of personnel. Tomlinson, PP, Shelley and Tonga will be free agents.

Hunter, ZaDarius, Kendricks and Hicks are under contract, but all 4 have hefty 2024 cap hits.

They'll have to make some tough decisions. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I dont think the defense is that far off; scheme just needs to manufacture more pressure at certain times.

But 2024 is going to be interesting in terms of personnel. Tomlinson, PP, Shelley and Tonga will be free agents.

Hunter, ZaDarius, Kendricks and Hicks are under contract, but all 4 have hefty 2024 cap hits.

They'll have to make some tough decisions. 

I think our draft focus needs to be defense again.

Hopefully Lewis Cine recovers and Andrew Booth stops doing his best Xavier Rhodes impression.