Pass me that wrench: Fixing the D in 2022

vike daddy

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Let's just say, as the roster exists right now (obviously, it'll change with free agency and the draft, but what would be the starting defense?

LDE:

NT:

RDE:

OLB (Joker):

ILB (Will):

ILB (Mike):

OLB (Sam):

CB1:

SS:

FS:

CB2:

Assuming no re-signed FA's maybe

LDE: Pierce

NT: Tomlinson

RDE: Lynch/Willekes

OLB (Joker): Hunter

ILB (Will): Surratt

ILB (Mike): Kendricks

OLB (Sam): Wonnum

CB1: Dantzler

SS: Bynum

FS: Smith

CB2: Boyd 

Barr could be SAM.

Sheldon might be a good RDE.  

Most of my front 7 spots were based on height/weight/body type. Our inside LBs are small. But Kendricks is a player. He'll adapt. We're going to have to find a couple bigger bodies though. 

I feel more confident that we can cobble together a solid front 7 with what we currently have than I am in our ability to field a secondary with what's on the roster. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Let's just say, as the roster exists right now (obviously, it'll change with free agency and the draft, but what would be the starting defense?

LDE: Armon Watts

NT: Michael Pierce

RDE: Dalvin Tomlinson

OLB (Joker): DJ Wonnum

ILB (Will): Troy Dye

ILB (Mike): Eric Kendricks

OLB (Sam): Danielle Hunter

CB1: Cameron Dantzler

SS: Harrison Smith

FS: Cam Bynum

CB2: Harrison Hand

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 2:43 PM, battle2heaven said:

I think Blake Lynch would start over Dye.  Dye might be lucky to make the team.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:21 PM, swede700 said:

LDE: - Lynch / Watts

NT: - Pierce

RDE: - Tomlinson

OLB (Joker): - Wonnum

ILB (Will): Kendricks

ILB (Mike): Barr / Lynch

OLB (Sam): Hunter (assuming healthy)

CB1: Dantzler

SS: - Smith

FS: - Bynum

CB2: - Peterson (assuming re-signed)

Lynch / Watts comes off in the nickel (non pass rush), Pierce comes off on pass rushing downs. Harrison Hand or Bynum in the nickel. 

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Lynch / Watts comes off in the nickel (non pass rush), Pierce comes off on pass rushing downs. Harrison Hand or Bynum in the nickel. 

Sorry, I don't follow. Who would replace Lynch/Watts and Pierce in the pass rush situations?

Would you shift Tomlinson to NT?

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Sorry, I don't follow. Who would replace Lynch/Watts and Pierce in the pass rush situations?

Would you shift Tomlinson to NT?

Obvious pass situations you could get your best four pass rushers out there as you’ll likely be in a four down style of alignment (under or boss front most likely)

if it’s a medium distance third down, Pierce comes out (doesn’t have to if you like him as a pass rusher) nickel goes in and the then you’ve got two of Tomlinson/Watts/Lynch playing the 3 and shade with Hunter/Wonnum on the edge. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

Donatell said that the team will use both 3-4 and 4-3 fronts and that “everything we do will make it hard” on quarterbacks. Donatell said he believes Hunter can play both defensive end and outside linebacker as needed in those multiple looks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/ed-donatell-sees-danielle-hunter-as-a-defensive-end-outside-linebacker-in-his-scheme/

• Like 1

1. I loved the energy that Donatell spoke with. Energy like that is contagious, and this team needs it. 

2. I liked how he mentioned takeaways as being an important aspect of the defense. That was always my biggest gripe with Zimmer’s approach. This team didn’t force enough turnovers. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 2:43 PM, battle2heaven said:

LDE: Armon Watts / James Lynch

NT: Dalvin Tomlinson  / Jordon Scott

RDE: Michael Pierce / Jalen Twyman

OLB (Joker): DJ Wonnum / Kenny Willekes

ILB (Will):  Nakobe Dean / Chazz Surratt

ILB (Mike): Eric Kendricks / Blake Lynch/ Troy Dye 

OLB (Sam): Danielle Hunter / Janarious Robinson

Ideal would be Troy Dye is totally out and they have Brandon Smith, Chad Muma or Troy Andersen at that other ILB spot which would bring some great versatility to the position, even Devin Lloyd or Damone Clark I would not mind at that ILB spot either and arguably Muma, Smith, Andersen and Lloyd could bring some pass rush potential as well.  All in the 2nd possibly.  Or if one goes Dean 1st round then they could address CB maybe 2nd.  

That would totally switch that defense around and make it decent but only really if Hunter is there to provide the elite edge rushing ability.  Muma could be long gone though but they got a shot at Smith, Andersen, Lloyd or Clark possibly.  Clark would be a big body compared to the rest with long arms but he can run and plays faster than he looks.  Andersen would provide elite range and coverage, same with Smith and Muma.  

Lynch might actually be better in a 3/4, and I would have Tomlinson as the NT not Pierce personally.  

That CB group would be freaking rough so that is a must draft a CB high but Gardner and Stingley are most likely long gone so they could be screwed.  Harrison Hand not sure he has shown anything to prove he is a starting corner, same for Cam for that matter, Breeland at times was better than him and Breeland was pretty bad.  

Edited by Ozzy

Right now I have the Vikings getting Derion Kendrick in the 2nd and Marcus Jones in the 3rd round.  Get your outside corner possibly and a slot corner since Stingley and Gardner are both gone.  Would not mind Booth or Taylor-Britt in the 2nd but have them being picked already, and Marcus Jones has great toughness and big time athletic ability in the slot.  

Will be a tough call because one could miss out on some edge rushers in that 2nd and 3rd round with Myjai Sanders, Sam Williams Tyree Johnson and DeAngelo Malone.  All depends on if they are keeping Hunter or not because if not that is a massive problem without him.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

LDE: Armon Watts / James Lynch

NT: Dalvin Tomlinson  / Jordon Scott

RDE: Michael Pierce / Jalen Twyman

OLB (Joker): DJ Wonnum / Kenny Willekes

ILB (Will):  Nakobe Dean / Chazz Surratt

ILB (Mike): Eric Kendricks / Blake Lynch/ Troy Dye 

OLB (Sam): Danielle Hunter / Janarious Robinson

Ideal would be Troy Dye is totally out and they have Brandon Smith, Chad Muma or Troy Andersen at that other ILB spot which would bring some great versatility to the position, even Devin Lloyd or Damone Clark I would not mind at that ILB spot either and arguably Muma, Smith, Andersen and Lloyd could bring some pass rush potential as well.  All in the 2nd possibly.  Or if one goes Dean 1st round then they could address CB maybe 2nd.  

That would totally switch that defense around and make it decent but only really if Hunter is there to provide the elite edge rushing ability.  Muma could be long gone though but they got a shot at Smith, Andersen, Lloyd or Clark possibly.  Clark would be a big body compared to the rest with long arms but he can run and plays faster than he looks.  Andersen would provide elite range and coverage, same with Smith and Muma.  

Lynch might actually be better in a 3/4, and I would have Tomlinson as the NT not Pierce personally.  

That CB group would be freaking rough so that is a must draft a CB high but Gardner and Stingley are most likely long gone so they could be screwed.  Harrison Hand not sure he has shown anything to prove he is a starting corner, same for Cam for that matter, Breeland at times was better than him and Breeland was pretty bad.  

Also love Clark if they can get him in the 2nd after going corner in the 1st.  How about Luketa for that other OLB spot?  He played some edge and some stack LB so I think he could kill in that spot.