Off-Season Casualties?

DoleINGout

Just continuing the discussion from the Mac Jones thread here.

Also, maybe with some of the money the Patriots save they can trade for Calvin Ridley!!?

I think the Patriots would say bye-bye to Nelson Agholor, Isaiah Wynn, and an early/mid-round draft pick to get Ridley. [Wynn is former Georgia Bulldog for what it's worth.]

I personally would throw in McCourty too to get Ridley but I doubt that will happen with the Pats. But who knows.

Edited by DoleINGout

On 1/5/2022 at 10:28 AM, Deadpulse said:

McCourty leaving would leave us with more dead money than his current cap hit. If he retires, he would cost us like 4m in space lol. If he waits until after June 1st and we cut him it wouldn't cost us anything but it wouldn't save us anything either. 

KVN has no guaranteed $$ and would come with a 2.5m dead hit but save us 5m overall. Hightower is a FA this off-season. 

On 1/5/2022 at 10:33 AM, DoleINGout said:

How about moving on from Wynn, Harry, Jonathan Jones, Henry Anderson or Deatrich Wise? Agholor?

23 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Wynn wouldn't save us a dollar unless he was traded. Trade nets us 10.4m

Harry about 1.2 mil 

Jones would be the big one at 6.2 mil in savings

Agholor would save us 5 mil but I assume he's back or at least traded because a trade would save us 10m

Anderson would be about 2.4m

Wise is 2.5m 

On 1/5/2022 at 9:47 AM, Deadpulse said:

we will have about 28m heading into the off-season. CB franchise tag should be about 15m, leaving us with 13m and some easy ways to free up space. 

23 hours ago, SBLIII said:

With the cap going up this should be priority.

I mean even if you have to pay him 20 million per year, you can get away with a 7 million cap hit in 2022 as opposed to the 17 million cap hit on the franchise tag.

There are ways we can free up money, so we could be playing with roughly 35-40 million in the offseason. If we get a longterm deal done with Jackson that would give us the chance to go after a high profile WR or linebacker which we also need.

22 hours ago, Crimmage said:

BB doesn't go after high profile WR's historically but he did spend a 1st round pick to get Cooks, that has to be seen as going after a #1, right? Also, reports were out there that the Pats were going after Diggs but Buffalo gave a higher offer. So I think in the post Brady era you could see more interest in a #1 WR. 

• Wynn is only worth trading if you have a 1st round replacement or you have a team friendly Trent Brown deal..  10 Million for a LT isn't bad, he is at least average and has stayed healthy. I could certainly see him traded in camp if a team has an injury .. 3rd/4th round pick type deal. Trading at the beginning of the offseason I doubt though, wouldn't a team just draft a LT instead of trading a pick for him? 
  • Harry is cut / traded ASAP.. no chance he is on next years roster
  • Anderson is mediocre and an easy cut if they need space
  • Jonathan Jones being cut is crazy imo.. DB depth is one of this teams biggest issues. He is much better than Bryant in the slot.. Williams is a bust..Shaun Wade hasn't stepped on the field .. Jackson a FA .. they need all the depth they can get 
  • Agholor is only worth getting rid of if he is traded and you save 10M. That gives you enough money to either get his replace or they commit to a high pick WR who is going to start right away. They can't afford to lose what little speed they currently have. 

With regards to Calvin Ridley, an interesting item of note. Over the last few drafts it has been noted that the two WR's the Patriots liked most were Calvin Ridley and Justin Jefferson, both were drafted before their pick so we will never know if they really wanted them but interesting none the less. I could see it happening, but I don't think they would get that much for him. Do we know why he missed this season yet? Teams could be scared off from trading any valuable assets to get him. I haven't seen a lot of Falcons games but is he a true #1 as well? He was always playing with Julio so it is difficult to know if he is going to be able to carry an offense. 

1 minute ago, Crimmage said:

With regards to Calvin Ridley, an interesting item of note. Over the last few drafts it has been noted that the two WR's the Patriots liked most were Calvin Ridley and Justin Jefferson, both were drafted before their pick so we will never know if they really wanted them but interesting none the less. I could see it happening, but I don't think they would get that much for him. Do we know why he missed this season yet? Teams could be scared off from trading any valuable assets to get him. I haven't seen a lot of Falcons games but is he a true #1 as well? He was always playing with Julio so it is difficult to know if he is going to be able to carry an offense. 

Ridely is a true, viable #1. Absolutely. He is a top 10-15 receiver in the NFL. He just had to step away from the season because of mental health. It could be a ploy conspired by his agent to get him out of ATL easier since his value and relationship have changed with the Falcons but otherwise it was just a tough season for Ridley to grind through mentally.

45 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I personally would throw in McCourty too to get Ridley but I doubt that will happen with the Pats. But who knows.

If we trade Devin before June 1st it would eat 4.3 million in cap space. As much as I know you want him gone, it makes more sense to keep him around financially. 

Ridley will come with a 11.1 million cap figure, but trading Agholor would net 10 mil in space. 

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

If we trade Devin before June 1st it would eat 4.3 million in cap space. As much as I know you want him gone, it makes more sense to keep him around financially. 

Ridley will come with a 11.1 million cap figure, but trading Agholor would net 10 mil in space. 

I misunderstood the McCourty cap situation and only suggested moving him because I thought it would relieve the cap space.

In that case, I'd rather McCourty remain apart of the team and really I see him here for one more season anyways. Unless he decides to retire.

Ja'Whaun Bentley --- sign to a affordable contract, don't over pay
N'Keal Harry  ------  Gone but who knows with BB  He can block!!!
Dont'a Hightower --- Vet min or let him go.
J.C. Jackson -----  FT or contract
Devin McCourty  ---- Hard one. Talent gone however do you replace him with a rookie, doubt it.
Gunner Olszewski  ----  The draft is loaded with returners get one that can play WR. You should find one that can catch a punt. I don't care if he gets additional yards after the catch. 

I’m absolutely not trading McCourty for anyone. He arguably holds the biggest leadership role with the team, and it’s not like he can’t ball anymore. We owe it to him, to let him go out his way. Whether that course comes via walking away from the Patriots (we’ve seen big name guys get cut late in their career before) or simply retiring; I don’t think we can dump him off on another team. With that being said….

I would literally be on an endless-nut if we traded for Calvin Ridley. I just hope his head space is alright. & for the sake of that, with Falcons owner Arthur Blank showing support as he stepped away from the team this past season, he might just see it in the best interest of both parties for a fresh start. I don’t think they’d demand top dollar price for him at this point.

I would be comfortable with letting Meyers and Agholor both leave the team if we were able to obtain Ridley.

53 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I have no idea why people want to move on from Wynn?!

He's been, just ok this year. That coupled with his frequent health issues and a guy like Owenu in the wings, it makes sense to shed that 10mil in cap space and sign a cheap veteran swing tackle. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He's been, just ok this year. That coupled with his frequent health issues and a guy like Owenu in the wings, it makes sense to shed that 10mil in cap space and sign a cheap veteran swing tackle. 

I think he has been fairly good, above average. You are likely going to lose Karras and Brown or at least they are free agents, so I am not a fan of even more turmoil for the offensive line. Also not sure Onwenu can protect the blindside. I think he is better on the right side.

Edited by SBLIII

5 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think he has been fairly good, above average. You are likely going to lose Karras and Brown or at least they are free agents, so I am not a fan of even more turmoil for the offensive line. Also not sure Wynn can protect the blindside. I think he is better on the right side.

Honestly I think Trent Brown stays. One of those more valuable to us than to other's situations. We know he is a major factor here, but he's flamed out elsewhere.