Off-Season Casualties?

DoleINGout

one thing I’m 1000% sure of, is that nobody we have on our team now, or that we can bring in next year, will figure out our system and play better in the slot than Jonathan Jones.

I didn’t realize how bad we really missed him, truly, until last night when it mattered most.

$8m is a little high. If we can extend him even another year, and knock that down to $6m, I’d be ecstatic.

I know everyone here hates Jakobi Myers, but has anyone compared him to Wes Welker? I know everyone thinks Myers is slow with a 4.63 40 compared to Welker's blazing 4.65. But if you look at the numbers, they aren't that much different. Throw in the fact that Welker had a prime Tom Brady and Randy Moss taking most of the attention. Myers had one start with Brady, a season with an old beat-up Cam Newton, and a season with a rookie QB. 

I'm in the pro Meyer's camp.  He makes some fantastic catches and then misses some others.  Certainly not elite but don't need him to be.  He's one of the few WR's that picked up the system and has been effective in it almost immediately.  I view him as a commodity in that capacity.  

1 hour ago, jofos said:

I know everyone here hates Jakobi Myers, but has anyone compared him to Wes Welker? I know everyone thinks Myers is slow with a 4.63 40 compared to Welker's blazing 4.65. But if you look at the numbers, they aren't that much different. Throw in the fact that Welker had a prime Tom Brady and Randy Moss taking most of the attention. Myers had one start with Brady, a season with an old beat-up Cam Newton, and a season with a rookie QB. 

I know nobody hates Jakobi Meyers, but I know only one person who is comparing him to Wes Welker when really he compares more to a Reche Caldwell. Decent enough #4 but clearly not a reliable top two receiver on a team.

Meyers is a nice player however if he's up high on the WR depth chart the Pats have little  shot beating other play off teams. Our group needs at least two if not three new WRs.  One injury to the group and the next up, Harry, (wasted roster space) Gunner and Slater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!👀.

Replace Gunner with someone like Slade Bolden who should be available later in the draft.  It funny BB will draft kickers and ST players however he never draft a KR/PR. Only one I can think of is Braxton Berrios.

Slade Bolden --- Sure hands can "PLAY" WR and in a pinch he can chip in secondary.

ADDED  I could see Bolden taking snaps away from  Meyers.

I like Meyers but I'm heartless. I'm looking to replace him. Thanks for your time and effort don't let the door hit you on the way out

I'm going after the best SWR in the draft  Also, added bonus, all 3 can play on the outside !!!!!!

Jahan Dotson --- Dream pick for me.

John Metchie III --- Finally after all these year the Pats drafted a legit WR. I can now sleep well!

Wan'Dale Robinson ---  @Crimmage Boy you got me hooked on him!

https://www.drafttek.com/2022-NFL-Draft-Position-Rankings/Top-College-Slot-WRs-2022-NFL-Draft.asp

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I know nobody hates Jakobi Meyers, but I know only one person who is comparing him to Wes Welker when really he compares more to a Reche Caldwell. Decent enough #4 but clearly not a reliable top two receiver on a team.

Honestly I think we have just been so spoiled for slot receivers since Troy Brown in 01 that we are a bit jaded on what we should expect from those guys. In most franchises in the last 20 years, slot receivers ARE just the 3rd or 4th WR and not even the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game. 

• Like 1

I agree, but most teams aren't running a majority of their offense though the middle of the field like the Patriots do. 

Their 3rd/4th WR isn't getting over 120 targets a season. They are probably getting 40-50. With how dependent the offense is on the slot position, they need someone with home run potential getting the ball thrown to them that many times. 

This offense works best with players who get YAC .. Meyers doesn't. Imagine how well Mac would do with SF's receivers .. Bourne was their 4th option and he quickly turned into arguably the best WR on the Patriots this season given his YAC potential. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

In most franchises in the last 20 years, slot receivers ARE just the 3rd or 4th WR

Everyone but the Pats. IMO there offense is gear for slot WR and the outside WR are complementary pieces. I thinks its opposite for most of the other teams. The only time different is Moss era. 

I just don't think BB puts much value on outside WRs. The Harry pick was shocking. My (WILD) guess, the whole organization beg him and begrudgingly agreed. BB Well if I'm taking one, I want the guy that will block in the running game.as well as catch the ball. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaPatsKid98 said:

Remember when AJ Brown was tweeting about how he’d love to play with Brady, and general consensus was he was the receiver we would be taking… 🥲 oh what a time 

Or when Deebo was posting on social media during his visit about seeing BB in a couple months... ahhh good times, good times. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

The 40 time is deceptive and isn't a good indicator here. 

Look up YAC numbers for Welker and compare them to Meyers.. that's really all you'd ever need to know. 

YAC stats weren't kept until 2011 and Welker was incredible with 708 YAC. He was playing with a pretty good QB and two really good TEs. It was a who do you cover situation which allowed all three to really excel. Welker had nearly 1600 yards, Gronk over 1300, and Hernandez 900 (14 games). Welker's YAC 5.9 per catch more than doubles Meyers' 2021 YAC ( 222 YAC 2.7 YAC per catch) but you have to figure in supporting cast. Welker benefitted from playing with Brady, Gronk, and Hernadez. Look at the difference when he went to Denver, He still had an elite QB but the numbers went to 4.2 YAC per catch. 

As for there being no comparison Combine numbers: Welker Vertical 30, Broad jump 9'5". 20 yrd shut 4.01, 3 cone 7.09   Meyers vertical 37 broad jump 9'10" 20 yrd shut 4.23 3 cone drill 7.07. very similar numbers. 

4 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Was Harry touted as a good blocker coming out? I scouted him for TCMD and I don't remember seeing it

Overview

Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/n-keal-harry/32004841-5265-4593-d716-d972ec2d4468

@Deadpulse  Do I have to put the link when I copy and paste comments from a story?