Watson Reportedly Tore ACL in Practice

Apollo Stallion

What a #%$&*@? week. 

Pastor, BoB aint going anywhere. He'll sign an extension this offseason. Now Vrabel on the other hand.....

So apparently Deshaun was walking around the facilities yesterday with no swelling and hardly a limp. I mean it sounds like it was a simple and clean tear. 

Initially I feared he'd be gone this year and next, but if it's just an ACL, he'll be good to go for 2018

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

So apparently Deshaun was walking around the facilities yesterday with no swelling and hardly a limp. I mean it sounds like it was a simple and clean tear. 

Initially I feared he'd be gone this year and next, but if it's just an ACL, he'll be good to go for 2018

Not sure why everyone is freaking out about the long-term on this. Yes, absolutely sucks for this year, but should not impact his career other than an added level of concern for avoiding re-injury in either knee.  ACL's tend to shorten careers of QBs, but best case scenario for running Qbs is McNabb-ish 34 anyway, so I'll be ok with a "only" a decade of Watson.  He tore the other ACL in college and led his team to 2 national championship games and was a top 5 QB as a rookie, so it's not like this should alter his play style at all.  If anything, this should ensure he develops a focus on cross training and doesn't stray from professional trainers and medical staff which when done right dramatically decreases the chances of soft tissue non contact injuries (aka spend offseasons/free time at legit training facility like AP did at Memorial Hermann and not the Brian Cushing approach at Vinny's Jersey Gym and Pharmaceutical Emporium).

There are between 45-65 ACL injuries in every NFL season (almost 50% in preseason btw). Adrian Peterson led the NFL in rushing the season after an ACL tear.  Jamal Charles had the best season of his career coming off an ACL.  Nobody thought Willis McGahee or Frank Gore would ever play again after horrific college ACL and both had solid long careers. Tom Brady has had a pretty decent past 8 seasons since his ACL. Carson Palmer had the best season of his a career the year after his second ACL. Philip Rivers has had longevity.  Doomsayers that want to evoke Bridgewater (dislocation with possible nerve damage) and RG3 (2nd torn ACL + LCL & meniscus) are using the outliers, not the norms. Watson's gunna be fine - but a GM who doesn't ignore the o-line for the next decade just because his QB has mobility would be nice (see also; Indy).

8 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

What a #%$&*@? week. 

Pastor, BoB aint going anywhere. He'll sign an extension this offseason. Now Vrabel on the other hand.....

You think O Brien signing an extension? IDK man.  TBH, if he wanted to stay here long term he would have been signed the extension before this season coming off 2 straight playoff appearances. I just dont think he gets along with Smith.  If he does get fired, I would tell Watson to convince Dabo to be his next HC. 

44 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

You think O Brien signing an extension? IDK man.  TBH, if he wanted to stay here long term he would have been signed the extension before this season coming off 2 straight playoff appearances. I just dont think he gets along with Smith.  If he does get fired, I would tell Watson to convince Dabo to be his next HC. 

Yer no way Dabo leaves Clemson. He has full control of one of the best college teams in the country that he has built into a powerhouse.. Oh and recently he signed an 8 year extension with Clemson.

As for O'Brien I think he will be extended. He had this offense rolling with Deshaun and the team would be stupid to break that up. Nothing should change with the offense as far as coaching staff or the core group of receivers/backs. We will have some cap room and I expect them to try to upgrade the offensive line and secondary. Defensively, the jury is out on Vrabel but I wouldn't expect anything to change there either.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21299050/doctors-believe-houston-texans-qb-deshaun-watson-initially-injured-knee-seattle-seahawks

He might have actually torn it on Sunday, and they just didn't notice until he fell in practice on Thursday. Which means he potentially played basically an entire quarter of football with a torn ACL, and still managed to score two touchdowns. Then went through a few days of practice without complaining or even noticing.

8 hours ago, amazingandre said:

I think this entire coaching staff gets a mulligan on the season because of all the key injuries. The guy who shouldn't get a mulligan is Smith. He should be relieved of his duties. Either promote to non-football operations or fire.

BS - Remember week 1 at home, at full health vs. a franchise that was 15-49 the past 4 years. THAT was our plan for this season.  Strip away the excitement Watson brought and we're a team that played one great game vs. the Titans (altho the Mariota and Murray injuries were factors), beat a bottom 5 Bengals team, 0-8 Browns trainwreck, and played one phase well vs. the Pats, Chiefs, and Seahawks, alongside epic defensive failure and coaching meltdowns with the ever present worst special teams unit in the NFL. Watt/Mercilus weren't the difference in the losses and Watson's pretty losses don't change the fact we've now lost to the Jags and Colts at home after sweeping both last year.  We've gone from the top defense in the NFL last season (w/out Watt) to giving up more points than any team but the Colts who just held us to 14 points and the actively tanking 0-8 49ers.

We just lost at home to a team that actually had a franchise QB before the season vs. a rookie project forced into action early because we spent an entire offseason on another terrible plan with the wrong QB for the 4th straight season.  They had to trade for a new starting QB during the season who's still learning the playbook who just put up 300 yards on the secondary we built ON PURPOSE with scratch and sniff safeties and without AJ Bouye (who happens to be starring for the new division champs).  Our QB that's been learning our "complex" system for 4 years who's expertise was touted over a QB that DWARFED his talent in every possible aspect, still can't do anything more than lock on to #10's like a 4th grader playing Madden, except with less accuracy.  We have Chris Clark, XSF, Allen, and Giacomini out there on purpose while running off the franchise LT over some guaranteed money we would have been nuts not to pay next year. They were missing their Pro Bowl CB, best LB, LT, and have a 34 year old RB on his last leg.  Oh yes, we handed them John Simon who was a huge factor in us surviving Watt's injury last year and would have minimized the Mercilus injury this year.

Outside of the Browns, the Colts are the worst coached and worst managed team in the NFL and we made them look downright smart this week and aside from 3 injuries the rest of our "plan" has been on purpose. Hell, the Colts owner Irsay is a crackhead who's mistress OD'ed in his flophouse paid for with team funds and somehow he hasn't stepped in his own feces more than McNair this season.  We are now officially the worst run organization in the NFL next to the Browns and they at least can fire everyone and build with a stockpile of draft picks while we have a guy who has signed 3 times as many safeties this year than 2nd contracts for players drafted on day 2 or 3 of the draft. 

As for our coach - you can grant him all the mulligans you want - it doesn't matter when he is just going to do the exact same thing like he's Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy on the 18th hole except Roy keeps missing because he had more balls than brains.  Understand just how rare losses can be directly pinned on poor coaching decisions and we're now looking at 4 of our 8 games that can be directly placed on the coach including fielding a team completely unprepared to start the season in week 1 and 3 meltdowns in the final 2 minutes.  4th strikes in one season is enough to show a great coach the door, better yet three 9-7 seasons with the division spotting us 4-5 cakewalks each year.  

The Jets have 4 wins with a McCown, Dolphins have 4 with Cutler out of the booth, and Bills have 5 all in a division with the Pats and each other.  We won't have the #1 overall pick for the 3rd time in Rick Smith's tenure, but we're staring at handing the Browns a top 5 pick or a top 10 pick in the first TWO rounds.  Please let that sink in for a second - the same GM presiding over a 3rd collapse and not even benefiting from it like the Colts or Giants will. There shouldn't be so much as a concession worker held over from management of this team after a 3rd implosion, yet I'm pretty confident the McNair's would praise Smith for all the extra parking if he dynamited NRG to the ground.  Clearly they exist in their own self congratulatory bubble and think their 3rd floor Enron showroom has everyone convinced they are the smart guys in the room.  

Report is that the surgery went great, there was no damage beyond the torn ACL which is a really really good thing. Recovery should be 8-9 months. He recovered in 5 months in college. I suspect that he comes back during training camp and probably sees some action in the 3rd pre season game and then sits out the 4th and starts week 1. 

I will feel a lot better about our future when he starts playing like the Watson of this season. 

all signs look good though. 

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

As much as i want to win this division, I certainly didn't want this. Sorry to hear about Watson. Didn't want to take him at 4, but was upset to see you get the best QB in the draft too. I kind of want to see Braxton Miller at QB

I've actually advocated Miller getting snaps, but apparently his throwing shoulder is completely ruined. I was reading about how he couldn't even get the ball 40 yards at OSU which prompted his move to WR.

I think a small ball/Read Option type offense would work, but I guess the coaches don't agree.

Archived