2022 draft prospects general discussion

AZBearsFan

I’ve been looking at some mock drafts and potential receivers. There are 2 WO’s from Ohio State that are intriguing. Don’t have their names at the moment but looks like both played with JF and have a good rapport with him. They are both listed as potential RD 2 players. Any thoughts from those who may watch more college ball then I do on these 2 and do you think they’d be good fits with the Bears. 

1 hour ago, BP42 said:

I’ve been looking at some mock drafts and potential receivers. There are 2 WO’s from Ohio State that are intriguing. Don’t have their names at the moment but looks like both played with JF and have a good rapport with him. They are both listed as potential RD 2 players. Any thoughts from those who may watch more college ball then I do on these 2 and do you think they’d be good fits with the Bears. 

If you’re talking about Wilson and Olave, which I presume you are, I’ve yet to see a mock that didn’t have both within the first 30 picks. Both would be awesome gets though if they were to be available to us regardless of the Fields/Ohio State connection. Both are explosive playmakers.  

• Like 2

Some initial thoughts:

-It’s weird going into a draft not really looking at QBs. I don’t really like any of them from what I’ve seen. Pickett would have been my favorite but 8.25” hands are like those of a middle schooler. 

-I like a bunch of the CBs and WRs. Both groups look deep, which aligns really well with our top draft needs. I’d love for Treylon Burks to be around when we pick R2 but I just can’t see it. 

-Dropped some coin on Evan Neal 1st overall pick today (+750). JAX will pick 1st unless they beat IND on Sunday, who clinches a playoff spot with a win. Not happening. They already have the QB and 2 good edge rushers. Lawrence is the franchise - protecting his blind side will be priority 1, and Neal is a freak. Plus, there are no QBs worth trading up to 1 for, and if you need an edge rusher there are 3-4 worthy of a top 10-15 pick (Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Ojabo and Karlaftis). 

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If you’re talking about Wilson and Olave, which I presume you are, I’ve yet to see a mock that didn’t have both within the first 30 picks. Both would be awesome gets though if they were to be available to us regardless of the Fields/Ohio State connection. Both are explosive playmakers.  

Crazy that both should (and probably will) go in the 1st round yet they are the 3rd & 4th most talented receivers at Ohio State right now haha...

The dream is Treylon Burks runs in the high 4.6s and drops to our pick...highly doubtful though...dude is a stud...

Difficult to decide on what type of receiver we will be looking for not knowing the HC but David Ball is a talented all-rounder who should fit any scheme...

Wan'Dale Robinson is a guy I really like for some schemes.

Right now my top choice is the Center from Iowa Linderbaum........ People are saying he's a first rounder, but he is still a Center, and they typically can slide to the 2nd.

Mustipher is a complete bum, and a major source of our issues this season, as someone constantly needs to help him out, creating holes elsewhere (like when Borom was left on an island in his first game against one of the league's best pass rushers)

I would absolutely be looking very hard at WR though.... as I think we all saw from Burrow getting Chase this season, exactly how big it is to have a stud WR to pair with your QB. Fields needs that guy, and as much as I like Mooney, and as much as he's become the focal point of the passing game this year, he's just doesn't appear to be that guy.

12 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Right now my top choice is the Center from Iowa Linderbaum........ People are saying he's a first rounder, but he is still a Center, and they typically can slide to the 2nd.

Mustipher is a complete bum, and a major source of our issues this season, as someone constantly needs to help him out, creating holes elsewhere (like when Borom was left on an island in his first game against one of the league's best pass rushers)

I would absolutely be looking very hard at WR though.... as I think we all saw from Burrow getting Chase this season, exactly how big it is to have a stud WR to pair with your QB. Fields needs that guy, and as much as I like Mooney, and as much as he's become the focal point of the passing game this year, he's just doesn't appear to be that guy.

Tyler Lunderbaum should go top 15...no way I see him getting out the 1st...he is the best centre prospect in a long long time.

• Like 1

Some of my favorite round 3-6 prospects:

Dylan Parham, C, Memphis

Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois

Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State

Gerrit Prince, TE, UAB

Leo Chanel, LB, Wisconsin

Travis Jones, DL, Connecticut

Zion Johnson, G, Boston College

Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia

Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming

Cole Turner, TE, Nevada

My #1 target in round 2 right now would be Drake London. Only thing getting him to round 2 potentially is injury and he has drops on occasion. Otherwise he is a monster

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Some of my favorite round 3-6 prospects:

Dylan Parham, C, Memphis

Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA

Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois

Troy Andersen, LB, Montana State

Gerrit Prince, TE, UAB

Leo Chanel, LB, Wisconsin

Travis Jones, DL, Connecticut

Zion Johnson, G, Boston College

Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia

Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming

Cole Turner, TE, Nevada

My #1 target in round 2 right now would be Drake London. Only thing getting him to round 2 potentially is injury and he has drops on occasion. Otherwise he is a monster

I really like Woolen...just unique size and length for the CB position...big fan of Jones as well again has real size on the inside...I would expect Zion Johnson to be gone by the middle of the 2nd round...couple of under the radar guys I like...

QB...Eric Barriere...Eastern Washington

WR...Xavier Hutchinson...Iowa State

WR...Dai'Jean Dixon...Nicholls State

WR...Taj Harris...Syracuse

WR...Skyy Moore...Western Michigan

TE...Josh Whyle...Cincinnati

TE...Jelani Woods...Virginia

OT...Abraham Lucas...Washington State

OT...Kellen Diesch...Arizona State

OT...Max Mitchell...Louisiana

OT...Jaelyn Duncan...Maryland

OT...Myron Cunningham...Arkansas

G...Cade Mays...Tennessee

G...Josh Sills...Oklahoma State

G...Lecitus Smith...Virginia Tech

G...Cole Schneider...UCF

C...Dohnovan West...Arizona State

EDGE...Boye Mafe...Minnesota

DL...Jordan Peevy...Texas A&M

ILB...Mike Jones Jr...LSU

ILB...James Skalski...Clemson

CB...Alontae Taylor...Tennessee

CB...Coby Bryant...Cincinnati

CB...Brendan Radley-Hiles...Washington

CB...Jalen Green...Mississippi State

S...Jalen Pitre...Baylor

S...Demani Richardson...Texas A&M

S...Leon O'Neal Jr...Texas A&M

S...Brad Hawkins...Michigan

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I really like Woolen...just unique size and length for the CB position...big fan of Jones as well again has real size on the inside...I would expect Zion Johnson to be gone by the middle of the 2nd round...couple of under the radar guys I like...

QB...Eric Barriere...Eastern Washington

WR...Xavier Hutchinson...Iowa State

WR...Dai'Jean Dixon...Nicholls State

WR...Taj Harris...Syracuse

WR...Skyy Moore...Western Michigan

TE...Josh Whyle...Cincinnati

TE...Jelani Woods...Virginia

OT...Abraham Lucas...Washington State

OT...Kellen Diesch...Arizona State

OT...Max Mitchell...Louisiana

OT...Jaelyn Duncan...Maryland

OT...Myron Cunningham...Arkansas

G...Cade Mays...Tennessee

G...Josh Sills...Oklahoma State

G...Lecitus Smith...Virginia Tech

G...Cole Schneider...UCF

C...Dohnovan West...Arizona State

EDGE...Boye Mafe...Minnesota

DL...Jordan Peevy...Texas A&M

ILB...Mike Jones Jr...LSU

ILB...James Skalski...Clemson

CB...Alontae Taylor...Tennessee

CB...Coby Bryant...Cincinnati

CB...Brendan Radley-Hiles...Washington

CB...Jalen Green...Mississippi State

S...Jalen Pitre...Baylor

S...Demani Richardson...Texas A&M

S...Leon O'Neal Jr...Texas A&M

S...Brad Hawkins...Michigan

Good list. Bryant, Taylor, Mitchell and Lucas should all be top 90 picks imo. I like Duncan late as well

Edited by beardown3231

On 1/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, Madmike90 said:

Tyler Lunderbaum should go top 15...no way I see him getting out the 1st...he is the best centre prospect in a long long time.

Agreed.  We've seen in 5 of the 7 past drafts a center go in the first round.  He's an easy top 20 pick IMO.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watching some of the stuff coming out of the Senior Bowl and I can't help but wish we had less holes on offence so we could scope up some of the defensive talent out there...

Darrian Beavers the LB out of Cincinnati for example would be perfect for this scheme...6-4" 255lbs...played safety, LB, DE then back to LB...he is a poor man's Parsons with that type of versatile but I doubt we can spend draft resources on an off the ball LB this off-season...

Perrion Winfrey out of Oklahoma could get a look in round 2 though depending on what we do with the OL in FA...dude is the perfect UT for this scheme and that position is so valuable that we might make the move for him...

Kerby Joseph from Illinois is a guy I really like as a rangy SS to put back there alongside Eddie in this scheme where taking the ball away is everything...he is a 3rd rounder who would make sense.

When it comes to the offence I am not massively sold on the skill position guys at the Senior Bowl...do however like some of the OL especially given the size and physicality...Trevor Penning is a guy who really interests me give his upside...seems like exactly the type of player Poles was talking about going after.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Only concern with him IMO is again press at the next level...I agree though he looks good from what I saw.

With his footwork I don't think press is going to be an issue. I know it's not vs good pro corners but some of those Senior Bowl clips of him getting by corners... wooo weeeeee