Just how good will the Bengals defense be this year?

theJ

It's a unit that struggled at times last year, but really came on at the end of the year.

Weeks 1-8:

• 189 points allowed
  • 3028 yards allowed

Weeks 10-17:

• 126 points allowed
  • 2584 yards allowed

Big difference in the second half seemed to be Burfict settling in, Atkins coming on a little more, and a general meshing of the unit.  So we should expect to see the second half defense to start the year, yes?  Except, now they're going to be introducing a few new players again.  Lots of new faces on the defensive line, and potentially a few in the secondary.  Plus a new starting LB.

How do you see the defense being this year?

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

I think around 11-14

i think the easy schedule will help

with the unit gelling

I think they'll be in the 6-10 range.

I'm banking on the hope that the new generation of pass rushers is a little better than the previous generation and gets some more rush.

Some more reference points, in last years rankings:

• 8th in points allowed
  • 17th in yards allowed
  • 20th in sacks (33)
  • 10th in net yards allowed per pass (6.1) (means last years secondary did great work with the lack of rush)
  • 21st in rushing yards allowed (113/game)

Obviously the Achilles heel last year was the rushing defense.  I'm hoping Billings, Glasgow and Minter can help shore that unit up.

Top 5.  Billings keeps anyone else from being consistently double teamed, and adds a strong push.  Lawson and Willis provide pass rush off the edges, and keep MJ a bit fresher.  taze plays with a chip on his shoulder.  The secondary, despite star power name recognition, plays lights out, especially with the line creating more pressure.  Minter, Vigil and (surprise!!!) Dawson add more tenacity and versatility the LB corps.

59 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

and (surprise!!!) Dawson add more tenacity and versatility the LB corps.

I haven't been following news too closely. Has there been any indication that Dawson is going to see the field this year?

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

If Burfict stays healthy and not suspended, 6-10 sounds about right.  Burfict looks like he's in the best shape of his career this offseason, and he can mask a lot of issues on our defense...

Until he gets suspended week 2 for tackling someone too hard.  

They could be top 10 this year, but they also be in the bottom 10. I think it will be no lower than 20, but that's only because I think the offense is going to struggle to stay on the field this year. Tackling should be better and the secondary will still be solid. Not convinced the pass rush will be better and I think teams will end up running on them a lot still. If this defense wants to be in the top 5, this DL is going to have to step up.

Archived