Washington 31st in attendance

turtle28

17 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Pretty bad when Rivera can't get this crapfest to .500. Superbowl winner as a player. Superbowl appearance as a coach.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

He was sub .500 after that Super Bowl appearance.  He had three winning seasons in Carolina, the same that Bruce Allen had here.  

Rivera was not the savior we thought he was going to be.  There is still time, but he has to break the mold we already have for him and bring in better X’s and O’s guys.

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I disagree. It would have to be years of winning. They won 4 games in a row and were in the playoff hunt and the stadium was completely filled with cowboys fans. I just don’t think it’s as simple as “winning” anymore. It has to be sustained winning for probably 2-3 years before the fans start to come back and the stadium isn’t filled with opposing fans. 

It isn’t even that simple. 

Fans have more options for winning teams over the past decade, and can spend less money, for a better stadium experience.  You have the Capitals who were a winning team this past decade, have a transcendent talent on the roster and won the Stanley Cup with multiple playoff runs.  You have the Nationals who were a winning team most of the decade, a couple HOF talents and now a transcendent talent and they won a World Series with multiple playoff runs.  It is also much easier for folks in the metro area to make it to a game, and it is a more enjoyable and affordable experience.  

Our stadium is a dump.  Snyder doesn’t put in the money for upkeep.  We have pipes collapsing, railings falling, and there are always multiple toilets, urinals and sinks overflowing in the lower level.  Food is subpar in most cases, and the prices are high.  

Going back to the RFK days, our reach was huge.  There was no team in Baltimore, no team in Carolina.  Our reach went well into PA, and all the way down to South Carolina, .  Once the Ravens and Panthers came, and to a lesser extent the Titans, we lost some of our reach immediately.  The rest of our reach we’ve lost due to years of ineptitude, dysfunction and Snyder treating this team as his playground.  

It will take multiple years of winning to get the stadium back to anywhere close to a sellout, and even then I am not sure if that ever happens.  I find it likely the new stadium likely tops at 65,000.  I think a lot of the fans are gone, and not coming back, and there is a risk of losing even more with the name change.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 7:12 PM, lavar703 said:

I disagree. It would have to be years of winning. They won 4 games in a row and were in the playoff hunt and the stadium was completely filled with cowboys fans. I just don’t think it’s as simple as “winning” anymore. It has to be sustained winning for probably 2-3 years before the fans start to come back and the stadium isn’t filled with opposing fans. 

Longer

• Like 1

I don’t agree with the time frame. Fans are fans. A winning team motivates them. If this team has a new QB and the defense is back to 2020 levels and they come out on fire and are sitting at something like 9-4 going into December — that stadium will be full. And it will at least be pretty loud. 

It won’t be a meaningful, sustained buy-in. No one is going to be re-indoctrinated into unrestrained love of the Redskins just because of a 3/4 season of legit success. If they lost the next few, people would bail again. If they were to lose handily in the playoffs (or miss them entirely), people would bail again. If they came out and collapsed out of the gate the next season, people would bail again. In a hurry. 

No WAS fan is prepared to believe anymore. No one thinks we can do good, sustain good, or keep good things if we have them briefly. That’s for good reason. Because of the history, team will get no benefit of the doubt, no one sticking with them through momentary rough patches, and no one generally buying into the hope that they’re “on their way.” Mediocre success (a la 2020) won’t move the needle, it will need to be a genuinely, inarguably good team. And even then, people will be poised on the edge of the ship, ready to leap at the first signs of “same old, same old.”

But if they actually are capital-G Good? The fans will be there. It won’t take years to get them back in the door, if the team is legit. In other words, I don’t think it’s about the amount of time, I think it’s about how good the team actually is. These fans aren’t dumb — they know the difference between contender and pretender, in large part because few fans have been presented more “pretenders” than we have. A genuinely good team is different, and they’ll be there. 

They’ll be ready to bail at the first sign of trouble — but I think they’ll be there.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:12 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

He was sub .500 after that Super Bowl appearance.  He had three winning seasons in Carolina, the same that Bruce Allen had here.  

Rivera was not the savior we thought he was going to be.  There is still time, but he has to break the mold we already have for him and bring in better X’s and O’s guys.

The clear difference between the two is that:

1. Brice Allen was a team President, Rivera was just a HC who didn’t shop for the groceries 

2. Rivera had better winning seasons that Bruce ever did. This fanbase would’ve killed to have a 12-4 season & a 15-1 season with playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance last decade.

I agree that Rivera is more mediocre as a HC that people realize - as was Gibbs 2.0 & Shanahan in DC - but comparing Brice Allen to Rivera is an awful comparison in about every way.

On 1/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, Thaiphoon said:

Longer

I disagree, there are so many bandwagon fans in the DC area or as Kevin Sheehan and others have explained, DC is an Events town. If the Washington whatever’s win a lot even in one season fans will start showing up to the games bc they’re winning at the time and that will be the big event in the DC area when/if it happens. 

The same thing happened when the Nationals started winning and going to the playoffs, especially on their World Series run.

Now, will that be sustained?

The only way that fans/the DC areas interests will remain will be if the team continues to win after/if they ever do have a season where they win 11 plus games and win a playoff game or more again. 

But, fans will show up if the team has a winning season and is playing really well in that season. We saw it in 2015 when they won the Division.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I disagree, there are so many bandwagon fans in the DC area or as Kevin Sheehan and others have explained, DC is an Events town. If the Washington whatever’s win a lot even in one season fans will start showing up to the games bc they’re winning at the time and that will be the big event in the DC area when/if it happens. 

The same thing happened when the Nationals started winning and going to the playoffs, especially on their World Series run.

Now, will that be sustained?

The only way that fans/the DC areas interests will remain will be if the team continues to win after/if they ever do have a season where they win 11 plus games and win a playoff game or more again. 

But, fans will show up if the team has a winning season and is playing really well in that season. We saw it in 2015 when they won the Division.

Completely disagree with the first part of this. But see bolded.

We've had good seasons. Haven't done much to follow up. 

The fans are pissed now. It's no longer disappointment. It's apathy bordering on anger (or vice versa). If we put together an 11 win season, the attendance may rise a bit the next year, but you will still see opposing fans dominate the stadium for much of the season (which is what Lavar referenced). 

Why? Because 20+ years of Snyder taking advantage of the fans and our generosity in terms of money, time, allegiance, etc...

It would take at least 3+ years of sustained success for that stadium to be packed full of our fans. 

Sheehan has lost the plot if he thinks that this being an "Events" town means that the team that has been crapping on us for decades is suddenly going to have fans go "okay, everything is forgiven. I believe that the one playoff season is proof we've turned it around".

2015 was a lifetime ago. And the Nats are not this team. And the owner is not universally despised like Snyder is.

Like I said. Fans are pissed now. It will take sustained success (like you mentioned in the bold) but it's not gonna just be we win 10 games and then go 9-8 and the fans are back and dominating the seats. It's going to take sustained playoff appearances and 10 win seasons for a few years before we don't have FedEx be an away game for our players.