Why doesn't the NFL play 82 games like the NHL?

NeptunePenguins

With the NFL being not as tough of a sport as say hockey, in that hockey has lots of fights and the hits are overall more impactful due to speed and aggressiveness in the NHL, but it only plays 17 games. But why is that? If the NFL is truly not as tough as the NHL, shouldn't they have a 82 game schedule like them no? It makes no sense how the NFL is considered the weaker sport, but talking about extending to 82 games gets met with weird looks like what the heck, which is it? I don't understand why. To be honest if I was running the NFL the rules would be.

1. Change to pre-1978 rules

2. Play 82 Games

3. Allow fighting in the game, and only punish it by a 5 minute gametime timeout. 

4. No more protective equipment. No helments, no pads, and just straight up regular clothing. 

That would make the NFL truly comparable to some of the tougher sports in my opinion. 

Edited by NeptunePenguins

1 minute ago, Piquel said:

As someone that does understand, I'm feel sorry for you.  Wish I could help.

I mean I never hear anyone talk about the NFL as this tough gladiator sport like hockey and rugby. It has a bit of a softer rep online, and I want the NFL to sort of have that tough rep and such since it be my favorite sport. 

49 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:

With the NFL being not as tough of a sport as say hockey, in that hockey has lots of fights and the hits are overall more impactful due to speed and aggressiveness in the NHL

Arrested Development No GIF

But why is that? If the NFL is truly not as tough as the NHL, shouldn't they have a 82 game schedule like them no? It makes no sense how the NFL is considered the weaker sport, but talking about extending to 82 games gets met with weird looks like what the heck, which is it?

Do you have anything to back this up?

You havent raised a single objective point or indisputable fact to support any of this.

These are just opinions based on extremely faulty logic.

I don't understand why. To be honest if I was running the NFL the rules would be.

1. Change to pre-1978 rules

2. Play 82 Games

3. Allow fighting in the game, and only punish it by a 5 minute gametime timeout. 

4. No more protective equipment. No helments, no pads, and just straight up regular clothing. 

Your league wouldn't last a half a season.

Good luck with that, though.

and I want the NFL to sort of have that tough rep and such since it be my favorite sport. 

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Edited by 43M

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

You havent raised a single objective point or indisputable fact to support any of this.

I mean a lot of my Canadian friends or well former friends are always strutting about how the NHL is the "toughest, manliest, sport ever" and such. Plus Rugby plays without pads and helmets. I genuinely do like the NFL. I never see people brag about the toughest of the NFL on online forums and well chats. 

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Oh I see then. 
Edited by NeptunePenguins

2 minutes ago, NeptunePenguins said:
Oh I see then. 

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

Here it is. Due to the fact that the action isn't constant the NFL only has something like 11 minutes of actual play time. "An average professional football game lasts 3 hours and 12 minutes, but if you tally up the time when the ball is actually in play, the action amounts to a mere 11 minutes." 

Plus look at the comments here, most agree that NHL players have steely balls than NFL players. They are kind of looked at as a joke in Canadian circles. Tbh I kind of have an inferiority complex about being American. I remember moving to a cold climate and going outside in flip flops and a t-shirt when it was -30 for a couple of minutes once just to prove to them that I was tough, but instead I just felt very very cold. Yeah I kind of wanted to prove I was tough as them basically.