Rumor: Colbert stepping down after draft

warfelg

33 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont get why everyone hates on Keith Butler so much.

He is no **** LeBeau, but he has usually fielded pretty solid defenses, despite having offenses for the last several years that havent done their parts and losing key pieces several times.

At worst, he is the DC equivalent of Tomlin....an okay but flawed coach that you could upgrade, but you could also easily downgrade from.

It's about accountability. The Steelers aren't holding these guys accountable for not winning anything with a stacked roster the last eight years or so. Also, Fangio is way better at DC than Butler.

8 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

It's about accountability. The Steelers aren't holding these guys accountable for not winning anything with a stacked roster the last eight years or so. Also, Fangio is way better at DC than Butler.

I dont completely disagree with your logic, but again...Butler has been pretty solid.    If they clean house and hold EVERYONE accountable...so be it.    But firing Butler after a year where his defense was decimated and the offense did nothing to help the defense would be silly.

58 minutes ago, 43M said:

And if that is the case, as it likely will be....let whoever is promoted from within make the calls about the direction to take the team.

Cool. Who said they won’t? The only report came out that he might be done after the draft. The reaction from some was “that makes no sense”, when it in fact…does  

Whatever commentary you wanna add after that, awesome. Doesn’t make the GM in good standing leaving after the draft stupid - which is the only rumor reported at this point. It’s like a fiscal year and a calendar year for a company. The GMs year and the season itself don’t have the align. 

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Cool. Who said they won’t? The only report came out that he might be done after the draft. The reaction from some was “that makes no sense”, when it in fact…does  

Whatever commentary you wanna add after that, awesome. Doesn’t make the GM in good standing leaving after the draft stupid - which is the only rumor reported at this point. It’s like a fiscal year and a calendar year for a company. The GMs year and the season itself don’t have the align. 

If he is staying on to turn things over....sure, it makes sense.

If has much say in personell decisions going into 2022...it makes no sense.

Im not sure which will be the case, but Im betting you dont either.

11 minutes ago, 43M said:

If he is staying on to turn things over....sure, it makes sense.

If has much say in personell decisions going into 2022...it makes no sense.

Im not sure which will be the case, but Im betting you dont either.

Totally don’t have any clue, doesn’t make the decision that a GM stays on to completion of the scouting, prepping, planing, and ultimately executing on that plan dumb.…but the knee jerk “THIS IS STUPID” reaction was awful. 

Again, a GMs year STARTS after the draft ends and ENDS at after its completion. It does not start and end with the season. 

Edited by Dcash4

On 1/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, Dcash4 said:

Totally don’t have any clue, doesn’t make the decision that a GM stays on to completion of the scouting, prepping, planing, and ultimately executing on that plan dumb.…but the knee jerk “THIS IS STUPID” reaction was awful. 

Again, a GMs year STARTS after the draft ends and ENDS at after its completion. It does not start and end with the season. 

I wanted to give a few days to carefully craft my response to this:

In a very technical and literal sense you are correct. 

However in a hiring cycle sense you are wrong. 

This puts the Steelers at a big disadvantage if they think the answer is in house and they get hired away. If the answer is Khan or Hunt, they better announce that before they can get poached by other teams so they are locked in. I know the chances are slim, but what if Khan gets hired by the Bears, Hunt isn’t the answer, and KC steps down. Who’s doing the daily tasks of leading scouting, leading personnel movement, managing the cap, leading contract extension talks. 

Now there’s plenty of time for this to still happen, but I’ll be really concerned if the Steelers don’t name a successor, lose one of Kahn/Hunt, then go into the time of the offseason when jobs are settled, they might have to settle for promoting someone rather than being able to canvass what’s out there. 

44 minutes ago, warfelg said:

However in a hiring cycle sense you are wrong.

Am I wrong if the absolutely worst case scenario happens? Sure. It's also the most unlikely of situations. 

This team held onto Keith Butler for years as the successor to Butler. I'm inclined to believe if they wanted Khan to be the next GM that he wouldn't be interviewing with the Bears right now. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Khan gets hired by the Bears, Hunt isn’t the answer, and KC steps down

Do you think that Colbert doesn't talk with the Steelers at all and is hiding his intentions? Because that's the only way this works. 

If the answer is in house -- they are not letting them get away. You can tell them (if they haven't already) that they are next in line or you can push KC along and tell him it's not worth losing our next GM for 1 additional year. You could even say that KC could stay, but they are changing responsibilities and shifting the power -- which most likely leads to him leaving. 

Even if they do lose Khan and don't want Hunt have KC stay one more year to transition....they could get through the draft announce that KC is in his last season and open up one of the best, most desirable positions in all of sport. Allow KC to maintain the season/scouting focus (along with Tomlin) and use an entire year to bring in the next GM who will work alongside the already running machine and help dictate the future while KC is still there for the stability. 

I think a lot of people would have to be bad at their jobs to lose Khan, not want Hunt, and whoops KC left and no one in the building knew it was coming. There's things I don't like about the front office/ownership in the way they do certain things, but I don't believe they are completely unorganized and dysfunctional to allow that scenario to happen. 

I had a longer response typed up but these aren’t really even conversations anymore. 

All I’ll say is if they enter the offseason and announcements haven’t been made that there’s something in place, I’ll be concerned from a fan standpoint.