Top ten defenses

patriotsheatyan

15 minutes ago, GamedayGuru said:

The Saints over the Last 6 games would put them, #1 in both these categories vs all other teams this season

15 ppg 
264 ypg 

just saying...

As much as I hate to bring it up, the knocks against Saints D are legitimate, in the sense that the Saints have played some bad offenses.  Now I'm not hating, I love this defense, and they're so much better than they have been in the past, they might as well be the 2000 Ravens.  In years past, Saints D would not have shut the Dolphins out, they would have given up 30+ and Jay Cutler would have been high-fiving Adam Gase until they got shut out the next week.

But I can't really put them above the more proven defenses at this point, and I think they'll finish middle of the pack overall.  Which is all we really need out of them to make a playoff run.  I hope they prove me wrong though.

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

As much as I hate to bring it up, the knocks against Saints D are legitimate, in the sense that the Saints have played some bad offenses.  Now I'm not hating, I love this defense, and they're so much better than they have been in the past, they might as well be the 2000 Ravens.  In years past, Saints D would not have shut the Dolphins out, they would have given up 30+ and Jay Cutler would have been high-fiving Adam Gase until they got shut out the next week.

But I can't really put them above the more proven defenses at this point, and I think they'll finish middle of the pack overall.  Which is all we really need out of them to make a playoff run.  I hope they prove me wrong though.

Agreed. But they are at least average...and that’s bad news for the rest of the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I mean, I'd say Eagles front 7 passes the eye-test, at least. I'd take Denver's secondary over Phillie's haul though. 

@BAConrad agree, or am I being harsh on Eagles secondary....?

Nah, youre Not being harsh by saying Denvers secondary is better than ours lol. However I do think our secondary (and our defense) is underrated as hell.

Their defense as a whole unit is superior to ours.

We are better and deeper at DL, as we have the most talented starting DL in the league IMO with Graham-Jernigan-Cox-Curry. And then Barnett (who's been playing very well every week it seems), Chris Long, Beau Allen, Vaoa,  rotating in. 

As far as front 7 as a whole, Denver has the best player in Von Miller, but we have our own superstar in Cox (who btw has been the best interior DL in the NFL who isnt named Aaron Donald this year, and before today, Donald led all interior DL in in pressures with 28, and Cox 2nd with 27 despite missing 2.5 games!!!!). So Miller doesnt make a big enough difference to compensate for our superior depth and talent at DL and LB. Bradham and Kendricks have been better than any of Denvers LBs besides Miller (or Marshall) this year, and Hicks was as well until getting hurt. 

As for the secondary, our two safeties are a better duo than Denver's. Jenkins and Mcleod have been playing like Pro Bowlers all season. Obviously their cornerbacks are what elevate their secondary (as well as Miller and Wolfe) and are the reason Id say Denver is better. Talib, Harris, and Roby are as good a trio as Ive watched in a decade. And them getting torched today isnt necessarily a sign that they arent a top 3 D bc they are , its moreso because:

1. Our offense is the best in the NFL. Last season, people praised Kyle Shannaham and Matt Ryan for Atlantas offense and how hard they were to stop because of how many weapons they have. Ryan spread the ball all over. But I feel like our offense isnt being recognized for the same thing. Pederson, Reich, and Wentz have put together an incredible offense and scheme. Our offense is so hard to scheme against because of how many different guys that can make plays. Anyway,trailed off a bit there and thats a discussion for another time lol

2. Their offense doesnt do them any favors, and the two units almost seem at open odds against each other. 

I do really think that our defense is being underrated, however LIS. And when we have Darby back this year, it will be a top 6 or so unit by years end. Next year, with Sidney Jones and Hicks back, this defense will be one of, if not the, best in the NFL.

I dont trust the Steelers defense enough to put them top 10 yet.    Matt Stafford and Alex Smith are the only two decent QBs we have played thus far.   Kept Smith in check, but Stafford moved the ball easily on us....but we were able to keep them out of the endzone despite numerous trips to our red zone.

Our safeties are pretty awful.    Haden and Burns are solid but nothing special.    Our defense is good enough if our offense is playing well, but many times this year, it hasnt.    Our defense isnt good enough to stop Brady.   Maybe if we would actually play aggressive vs them we would have a shot....but I dont see it happening.    

5 hours ago, Danger said:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA 

I love this. 

Next year if we can keep everyone together and healthy then maybe. Our run defense is stout, no arguing that, but missing Jordan Hicks, Ronald Darby, and a very promising young CB in Sidney Jones isn't helping.

I don't know what you're laughing at, Bruno. Whether deserved or not, when Philly is playing good, everyone better rank their team and every single player/unit at the top or their fans breakout the usual "Philly-shuffle" (i.e., throwing batteries at Santa).

5 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

Denver's defense will probably stop caring with an offense this laughable.  In fact, today may have been the day.

I just can't wait for Sun Dec 3, 12:00 PM All Times are in Central Time.

nah they were just out schemed today. The defense asked for Osweiler. 

I don't think the Saints defense projects this well down the road.  I bet they finish somewhere middle of the pack.

Saints fans have been saying for years that a middle of the pack defense is all we needed to compete and so far it's proven to be true. 

18 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

I don't know what you're laughing at, Bruno. Whether deserved or not, when Philly is playing good, everyone better rank their team and every single player/unit at the top or their fans breakout the usual "Philly-shuffle" (i.e., throwing batteries at Santa).

I was laughing at the fact that you know our fan base on here, or at least I thought you did, about how we generally take peoples opinions too personally/seriously. But by your last comment it's become clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Eagles Fans threw SNOWBALLS at Santa. Over 50 years ago.
ONE eagles fan threw batteries at JD Drew.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don't think the Saints defense projects this well down the road.  I bet they finish somewhere middle of the pack.

Saints fans have been saying for years that a middle of the pack defense is all we needed to compete and so far it's proven to be true. 

Shame it has to come at the tail end of Brees career.

20 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

The Rams-Saints game ought to be fun to watch. You know the Rams want some payback for last year.(even if the coaching staff is new)

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The Rams-Saints game ought to be fun to watch. You know the Rams want some payback for last year.(even if the coaching staff is new)

We play at LA, so I'm not really expecting a win, and it'll be the best offense we have played since we've been playing well defensively.

Last year was payback for us, because you guys beat us in 2011 and 2013, even though we were the better team, and it very well may have cost us the superbowl in 2011, as it wound up eliminating our 2 seed and home field advantage against the niners, who we would have beaten at home.  We then would have spanked the giants at home(we weren't gonna lose to anyone at home that year), and then the Patriots in the Superbowl would have had to put their bottom ranked defense up against the offense that broke the GSOT's yardage record.

In 2013 it may have cost us the division also, but I can't remember if we held a tiebreaker over the Panthers or not.

Archived