Draft Talk: Giants @ 1.5 & 1.7

Acgott

On 1/9/2022 at 10:15 PM, minutemancl said:

5 and 7 is nice. Would have been better to jump the Jets for 4, as I think they may be the biggest challenge for Evan Neal. 

Evan Neal, Aidan Hutchinson, and Kayvon Thibodeux are blue chip prospects at positions of need. If one of them lasts until 5, I'm imagining that the pick would be sprinted to the podium. 

Good news is that there are a lot of good prospects after those guys that are firmly in our pick range that are also super talented. Karlaftis and Ojabo at EDGE, and Cross, Ekwonu, and Linderbaum along the OL. 

I would love to get a GM who understands positional importance. The only positions you should be taking in the top 10 are OL, EDGE, QB. You can make an argument for WR and CB too. 

Ultimately, we should be looking into the needs of the Jaguars, Lions, Texans, Jets, and Panthers and trying to figure out what they may do. The more corners and safeties that go to those teams, the better. 

You can add Cross and Karlafatis to this list of blue chip guys. Cross is one of the best blindside protectors I’ve watched he needs to get more aggressive in run blocking. GK is just a beast and his only downside is his shorter than average arms. But he’s soo good everywhere else. Would love to have him and Azeez as our guys at EDGE. 

I really think George (the gap between Ojabo and Karl is much wider than people care to admit) is gonna get taken by the Jets. 

58 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

You can add Cross and Karlafatis to this list of blue chip guys. Cross is one of the best blindside protectors I’ve watched he needs to get more aggressive in run blocking. GK is just a beast and his only downside is his shorter than average arms. But he’s soo good everywhere else. Would love to have him and Azeez as our guys at EDGE. 

I really think George (the gap between Ojabo and Karl is much wider than people care to admit) is gonna get taken by the Jets. 

I think Ojabo and Karlaftis are very different players and the Jets go secondary with 4. I agree with your take on Cross and Karlaftis though. I'm having a hard time seeing 3 edge rushers go top 4 though. That would be worst case for us, assuming the other pick is an OL.

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think Ojabo and Karlaftis are very different players and the Jets go secondary with 4. I agree with your take on Cross and Karlaftis though. I'm having a hard time seeing 3 edge rushers go top 4 though. That would be worst case for us, assuming the other pick is an OL.

The only way that doesn’t happen is if the panthers trade up to get a guy. I doubt the Jets who’ve needed an edge rusher for so long pass up the opportunity to get a blue chip one. Unless Hamilton blows his workouts out the water. Those three are just that good. 

also I believe we are much more likely to trade out of 5 then 7. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YogiBiz said:

The only way that doesn’t happen is if the panthers trade up to get a guy. I doubt the Jets who’ve needed an edge rusher for so long pass up the opportunity to get a blue chip one. Unless Hamilton blows his workouts out the water. Those three are just that good. 

also I believe we are much more likely to trade out of 5 then 7. 

The Jets just signed Carl Lawson this past offseason and never got to see him due to an injury. Sure, they could use more edge rushers, but there is a chance they view Stingley or Hamilton as more valuable than Karlaftis given their secondary situation.

I think you're right about the trade as well. 5 is more valuable, obviously, and it gives a team who wants a QB a chance to jump Carolina. Also, we lose barely anything as we pick right after Carolina, so if we can ensure that the team we are trading with wants a QB, and know Carolina is taking one too, we lose nothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Jets just signed Carl Lawson this past offseason and never got to see him due to an injury. Sure, they could use more edge rushers, but there is a chance they view Stingley or Hamilton as more valuable than Karlaftis given their secondary situation.

I think you're right about the trade as well. 5 is more valuable, obviously, and it gives a team who wants a QB a chance to jump Carolina. Also, we lose barely anything as we pick right after Carolina, so if we can ensure that the team we are trading with wants a QB, and know Carolina is taking one too, we lose nothing.

The only thing is Carl Lawson was just good not great. GK has huge potential as a pass rusher

After the Senior Bowl this week Jermain Johnson is firmly EDGE3 and if blows the combine out the water he can challenge the top. 

super refined pass rusher and a much better run defender than Thibs and Karl. Hand game is nuts. really footwork. Long. Athletic. After watching him dominate at Florida State I was hoping everyone would keep him lower, but I’d take him at 5.

I am already hearing speculation that we will trade away the #5 pick for future capital. Noooo. Give me a hog, please. 🐷

Without knowing anything about the prospects available, my instinct is to go offensive line with the first two picks. Then EDGE, TE, RB and maybe nose tackle. Damn we have a lot of needs.

Edited by y*so*blu

On 2/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, y*so*blu said:

I am already hearing speculation that we will trade away the #5 pick for future capital. Noooo. Give me a hog, please. 🐷

Without knowing anything about the prospects available, my instinct is to go offensive line with the first two picks. Then EDGE, TE, RB and maybe nose tackle. Damn we have a lot of needs.

Think we go OL and Edge first round the. Another OL round 2. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, y*so*blu said:

That #5 pick could be worth a ton to a team like Pittsburgh or Denver. Carolina is obviously a candidate to take a QB, and Pitt or Denver may want to guarantee they get their guy.

Going back to 20 and picking up a future 1st + more is the best case scenario for me. Take the best pass rusher (Thibs or Karlaftis) at 7 after QBs go 5 and 6 then take Trevor Penning at 20. That guy is awesome.

51 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That #5 pick could be worth a ton to a team like Pittsburgh or Denver. Carolina is obviously a candidate to take a QB, and Pitt or Denver may want to guarantee they get their guy.

Going back to 20 and picking up a future 1st + more is the best case scenario for me. Take the best pass rusher (Thibs or Karlaftis) at 7 after QBs go 5 and 6 then take Trevor Penning at 20. That guy is awesome.

if we go all the way back to 20 from 5, we're likely looking at 2 firsts and a second to move that far back.  

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Agreed. As long as a trade back includes a 1st this year later in the round I'm in full support because there are plenty of quality OL later in the round as well. I think best BEST case scenario is getting top OL/EDGE at 5 and then trade out of 7. That way we get one of those top guys.

8 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

Agreed. As long as a trade back includes a 1st this year later in the round I'm in full support because there are plenty of quality OL later in the round as well. I think best BEST case scenario is getting top OL/EDGE at 5 and then trade out of 7. That way we get one of those top guys.

I think to get that amount of value, we'd have to trade out of 5, not 7. Jumping Carolina would be a big selling point. However, if we do move out of 5, most likely QBs are going 5 and 6 anyway, so we'd still get our guy at 7.

10 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

if we go all the way back to 20 from 5, we're likely looking at 2 firsts and a second to move that far back.  

Yeah for sure, especially if it is for a QB. If Pittsburgh moved up with us to grab Kenny Pickett for example, we'd be getting more than we got last year. The trade value chart, which is still pretty closely followed and is a good indication of pick value, has the #5 pick at 1700. 20 and 52 together equal are 1230, still about 500 short, plus there will be a premium since it is for a QB. So we'd be looking at something like 20, 52, 2023 first, 2023 fifth for 5. I'd take that in a second.

I have adjusted a stance I held recently that the draft is a crapshoot and you want to accumulate as many picks as possible to have as many chances as possible at hitting. I still believe that to an extent, but with a caveat- you want as many picks as you can get in the 30-70 range. That 2nd round is the sweet spot, especially in this draft. I'd be looking to trade 5 and 7 for as many picks in the 35-55 range as I could this year, and I bet I could get quite a few.