• GDT - Wild Card Round || 49ers @ Cowboys •

WizardHawk

My mind set is different, all year long we had ups and downs, But more ups for sure. but this is a new season.. anything can happen.. Maybe our defense gets hot. (Turnovers and QB pressure) Our offense will be fine,. I am feeling our "play book" will open up more. 

I feel a ton of momentum coming this week.

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 1

Hot take #1: Greg the Leg is an average to above average kicker, and the number of misses he’s had, while unfortunate, is not unlikely for a kicker of that quality on a relatively small sample size of one season. Statistical noise.

Hot take #2: Having less trust in your field goal kicker is therefore a net positive, because you are more likely to go for it in situations where you should be going for it, anyway.

There’s my galaxy brain for the day.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Hot take #1: Greg the Leg is an average to above average kicker, and the number of misses he’s had, while unfortunate, is not unlikely for a kicker of that quality on a relatively small sample size of one season. Statistical noise.

Hot take #2: Having less trust in your field goal kicker is therefore a net positive, because you are more likely to go for it in situations where you should be going for it, anyway.

There’s my galaxy brain for the day.

Having your owner announce your lack of confidence in your kicker priceless.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just curious, what kind of offenses have given this defense the most issues? Is there any area of the field or any particular player(s) that were targeted? 

I fear most offenses that can run effectively. Although having our DTs back certainly help provide some level of comfort. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I fear most offenses that can run effectively. Although having our DTs back certainly help provide some level of comfort. 

Got it, seems like while it isn't impossible to get yards against this passing defense, you guys rather teams pass with the ballhawks on the back end and the killer pass rush.

Same question, but this time for what defenses troubled this offense?

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got it, seems like while it isn't impossible to get yards against this passing defense, you guys rather teams pass with the ballhawks on the back end and the killer pass rush.

A lot of our offensive struggles are self-imposed:

• Insisting on running between the tackles instead of outside.
  • Drops.
  • Even our scripted plays have been garbage some weeks.

But mainly? I would say a team that can stunt and attack our OL with the DL. Overall, though, I don't fear any defense. 

49ers match up very well against Dallas if we start slow. 

1 minute ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

• Drops.

But mainly? I would say a team that can stunt and attack our OL with the DL. Overall, though, I don't fear any defense. 

I noticed you guys are second in penalty yardage, just ahead of the Niners. So both teams have had plenty of self-inflicted mistakes. Makes sense as your offense is just too stacked for opposing defenses to truly make a major impact. 

Niners have a top 10 defense but were also the worst at defending the deep ball for a good bit of the season. I would expect you guys to test Ambry Thomas deep at least a couple of times. 

I wonder if you guys implement the game plan you guys had vs TB and just abandon the run game? Niners run defense has been very good especially as of late. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Look, if our offense is stuck in the mud, then facing a really good run offense that can control the clock is a problem. But I outright reject the idea that we’d rather face a team with a great passing attack than a great rushing attack.

Our offense is capable of putting up points on anyone, and our defense absolutely feasts when we have a lead and can pin our ears back. I don’t believe for a second that teams like the 49ers, Titans, etc are capable of beating us if we play well on offense. But can the Packers, Bucs, and Chiefs hang with us in a shootout where both teams play well? No doubt they can. 

14 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

• Drops.

100%… we give ourselves problems, certainly. If we don’t shoot ourselves in the foot, there isn’t a whole lot that NFL defenses can do about it.

26 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Yes if we play our big boys.   Our normal and best pass rushing front four isn't very good against the run.   I want 5-2 with Bohanna/Watkins rotating at nose.

8 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Look, if our offense is stuck in the mud, then facing a really good run offense that can control the clock is a problem. But I outright reject the idea that we’d rather face a team with a great passing attack than a great rushing attack.

Our offense is capable of putting up points on anyone, and our defense absolutely feasts when we have a lead and can pin our ears back. I don’t believe for a second that teams like the 49ers, Titans, etc are capable of beating us if we play well on offense. But can the Packers, Bucs, and Chiefs hang with us in a shootout where both teams play well? No doubt they can. 

For sure, I think too much is being made about Niners being a bad match up for the Cowboys. Like any of these match ups would be tough, and it's not like the Cowboys don't do things well which are weaknesses for the Niners. 

I expect this game to be very competitive and come down to the wire. Neither team really ever gets blown out and when faced against other playoff teams, the games are all mostly close. 

If Trent Williams does not play, I can't see the Niners winning this game. Cowboys are too good on the edges and will destroy McKivitz and force Jimmy in a few turnovers. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

But can the Packers, Bucs, and Chiefs hang with us in a shootout where both teams play well? No doubt they can. 

This is a good point - at the start of the year the three teams I feared on our schedule were: Bucs, Chargers, Chiefs (IE, 3 teams with good to great QBs).

I guess my counter is this: our offense has lagged for a significant time now. Which makes me leery for ball-control teams. It's almost like we need to rapid fire this team to start the engine.

But, as a whole, good QBs determine wins in the NFL which makes the 49ers the second best possible matchup for us in round 1 - and possibly best if we argue that divisional opponents by nature are harder than regular teams. 

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

This is a good point - at the start of the year the three teams I feared on our schedule were: Bucs, Chargers, Chiefs (IE, 3 teams with good to great QBs).

I guess my counter is this: our offense has lagged for a significant time now. Which makes me leery for ball-control teams. It's almost like we need to rapid fire this team to start the engine.

But, as a whole, good QBs determine wins in the NFL which makes the 49ers the second best possible matchup for us in round 1 - and possibly best if we argue that divisional opponents by nature are harder than regular teams. 

The main concern I have to this point is the only reason I see our O struggling is if our OL struggles.   Both in pass protect and run blocking. Mostly our interior giving up too much penetration On the other side I think our DL can be just as disruptive but can we back that up with a solid run defense.  I listen to a lot of talk radio lately Cowheard and Gottlied. They if course hate Cowboys and think Dak is not a top ten QB. And say the QB match up is even.   This to me is just a overly biased take.  I I don’t see how any one can not say Dak is a top ten QB.  Look at our game against AZ rams v SF. SD v Raiders.  How can any one say that Dak wa “worse” then Hubert, Stafford and The SF QB.  

this is one reason I earlier called out some of our roll players.  If they play solid then we will be in good shape.  I also think if our DL disrupts SF more then SF D line disrupts us then we can win this game rather easily 

but if SF gets close to 200 yrds rushing we will be in a world of hurt

• Like 1