So what are you telling yourself after the last game of the season?

Dolphinmeister

I'm thinking I really like the new draft class for the most part, Holland, Waddle and Phillips are going to be better than average at their positions. Duke Johnson has been such a great surprise I hope he is back next year, and I have really started to like Van Ginkel's play. Both corners Howard and Jones are probably peaked and while still very good I have seen them trailing receivers more than in the past this season. If signing Watson happens, I will be very happy but if not, I will be good with Tua having another season to prove he can get Miami to the playoffs and win. I still feel he has a week arm and that is not going to change but if he grows in his mental game and can stay healthy he can be a very good QB.

The O-line and running game have got to be fixed though for Tua to ever be a Superbowl contender he will never be great enough to make up for short comings in the running game. I am still a little shocked at how bad he looked in the cold and nasty weather game last week and until I see him play better in those conditions I will be worried about late season games in the division but maybe that was just a fluke last week in Tennesse. 

Miami pretty much lost 3 games on the last play of the game this year so 12 and 5 was a possibility this season but honestly, I know that they were not that good, they beat bad teams and lost to good teams for the most part. I think this team was better than last season's team and if Tua had played every game Miami would most likely have made the playoffs.

My final thoughts are no long losing streaks next season, if Tua is the QB he has to continue to improve and get stronger.

Go Fins!

Agree on Harbaugh but not the other guy. Tua reached 'Good Enough' status awhile back. Think Tua is excited about learning a 3rd-different offense from 3rd-different O-coordinator in his 3rd season? Alex Smith says hi, suck it up buttercup. 

Pretty wild how Miami can sign an unwanted RB like Duke and he immediately produces significantly better than anyone else on the roster. Hmmm. 

Still in utter shock how all the resources spent drafting the o-line proved to be a waste of time over the past 3 seasons. Just like Duke, you could literally find UDFA or cast-off players from other teams that could perform better than this o-line. I've never seen anything like it. 

Big mystery is X, will he get a new contract or traded?

With the initial shock of Flores firing like most Fins fans I was angered. With the reports of the situation, if true,  it is evident changes probably needed to be made. Not saying Flores should have been the one to go over Grier or vice versa, keeping either presents its own set of concerns with what we have seen. 

I am still optimistic but now for different reasons. There was obviously a blind spot on the offensive side of the ball. Revolving door of Coordinators and O line coaches and an inability to hire talent in those positions due to, from what I am gathering Flores, either his lack of connections from being in New England his entire career, or his personality or both. Again I think he has a ton of potential if he can learn from this I think he could be the coach of the Belichick tree that does go on to have success in the league. Maybe I am wrong and it wouldn't be the first time, I have said it many times on this board that I can't believe this O line is just that untalented or uncoachable. It is a coaching issue which makes me optimistic it can be corrected sooner rather than later. Not saying no changes should be made, just maybe we don't have to "scuttle the fleet". 

I am more optimistic that Tua will be given a 3rd year and they will hopefully scrap the multi offensive coordinator system. 

I anticipate less controversy in the off season as to who the starting QB will be, if the alleged dynamic between Flores, Grier and Tua is to be believed.  

I am worried about the defense, for all his blind spots on offense, Flores had the defense playing very well. It is a talented unit though and should draw interest from talented coordinators if we make a change there. 

A lot will obviously hinge upon the head coach they hire. Not a fan of Harbaugh. I do like Pederson, Bienemy, Caldwell, and despite the unpopular opinion, I am not a definite no on Vance Joseph. Brian Daboll is interesting as well, he worked with Tua at Alabama and was involved with the development of the "project" Josh Allen in Buffalo.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

I do like Pederson, Bienemy, Caldwell, and despite the unpopular opinion, I am not a definite no on Vance Joseph. 

I forgot to mention I also like Pederson. Man he had the Eagles so fired up those first few seasons but I guess it was tough to overcome having Wentz at QB. I dunno. I just remember the Eagles defense flying around on every play. The team sure seemed well-coached to me, they played hard. And Doug has an offensive-minded mind. 

• Like 1

Give me Dabol or McDaniel.  See if you can convince current DC to stay or hire Fangio to replace him as DC.  Scheme wouldn’t change much at all if you can retain Boyer.  They have built that defensive roster to play a multiple look.

Sign 2 solid/proven OL and overpay for the best OL coach that has a history of developing young talent.  Draft a WR or C Linderbaum in 1st round.  Re sign Gesicki.

Or…. Trade a first round pick for Sean Payton.  New Orleans is in salary cap hell and will be for the next 3-4 years.  

• Like 1

Just looking at some season stats I see just how pathetic Devonte Parkers season was;

Games- 10

Rec----40

YARDS- 515

TD-----2

AVG-- 12.9

This is another in a trend of offensive players that should be great but just don't reach that status with this organization. I would be willing to bet that if he was to get traded he would have he would have an all pro type finish to his career.

10 hours ago, Dolphinmeister said:

Just looking at some season stats I see just how pathetic Devonte Parkers season was;

Games- 10

Rec----40

YARDS- 515

TD-----2

AVG-- 12.9

This is another in a trend of offensive players that should be great but just don't reach that status with this organization. I would be willing to bet that if he was to get traded he would have he would have an all pro type finish to his career.

Seems to me Parker was definitely underutilized this past season (and so was Gesicki).  Of course, he missed several games with injury but our Offensive focus on Waddle is concerning.  IMO we were so focused on scheming Waddle open that any other QB reads were almost nonexistent.  Our passing game was so Waddle dependent that often times when the ball went to any other receiver that player looked so shocked that they weren't prepared to catch the football.  Why did Tua look so bad against the Titans?  Because they covered Waddle.

I like Waddle, but if I'm using 2 first round picks to draft a WR then I don't expect to have to scheme him open on 70% of the passing plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Seems to me Parker was definitely underutilized this past season (and so was Gesicki).  Of course, he missed several games with injury but our Offensive focus on Waddle is concerning.  IMO we were so focused on scheming Waddle open that any other QB reads were almost nonexistent.  Our passing game was so Waddle dependent that often times when the ball went to any other receiver that player looked so shocked that they weren't prepared to catch the football.  Why did Tua look so bad against the Titans?  Because they covered Waddle.

I like Waddle, but if I'm using 2 first round picks to draft a WR then I don't expect to have to scheme him open on 70% of the passing plays.

It sure did make Tua's completion percentage that a lot on people like to brag about  look nice though don't it.

Edited by Dolphinmeister
  • Like 1