2022 Playoffs: Round One Chat

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, Remember The Oilers said:

The whole weakest #1 is premature. If they go 1 and done let's have at it but it seems like putting a ceiling on them. If the Titans win the SB does that mean they are better than prior #1s that fell short???

This Titans team have the most wins vs winning teams and are the only team that is undefeated vs division champions. Not that it means much, but that is their competition.

I don’t think it’s premature or some type of specific slight against the Titans. I remember having these discussions on the old board about the 2010 Falcons for example. Not all 1 seeds are created equal. 

Again if this is wrong it should be fairly easy to name the other 1 seeds the 2021 Titans are better than right?

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Define health? I cant speak for titans or Chiefs but I can tell you the bills havent been the luckiest when it comes to health whether it is injuries or covid related they have had their lumps. Their oline had 2 different LT having to play this year, 4 different LG, 3 different RG, and 2 different RT. Not to mention they lost their #2, #3, and #4 wr along with their stud TE to 1 or more games. Then you have defense in which your LB was out 2 games, your run stuffing DT has been out 6 games, then your stud shut down corner has been out since thanksgiving along with several other key factors. Bills could have had a couple more wins added on had they had a healthy team at the time. 

I dont agree that the titans being the weakest 1 seed. I think people have this presumption that titans dont have a high powered QB, or that even though they win games its not in a dominant matter as their point differential is only +65 while seed 2, 3, 4, and 6 have a higher point differential. It may be that they arent a top 10 offensive statistically or they arent a top 10 defense except in points given up. I think titans did what they needed to do this year and they now will get to show the world why they were the 1 seed next week

Tbh it seems like the Bills absolutely were the luckiest when it came to health 😂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

People who are saying the titans are not one of the worst 1 seeds ever, what 1 seeds in recent memory are they better than lol. Last years chiefs and Packers? Nope. We can go down memory lane 

By the numbers I don't think anyone would disagree. I'm sure a point diff of 65 is one of the lowest ever for a one seed.

But for me it's the combo of missing Henry and Brown, and having beaten so many playoff teams. I guess I don't really care if they're the weakest one seed ever - but they're definitely the best AFC team so I guess we would be saying it's the weakest AFC ever too then.

Read this morning from The Athletic:

[blockquote]

In the history of the NFL, teams have won only eight playoff games while starting a rookie quarterback. Two of those teams — the 2008 Ravens with Joe Flacco and the 2009 Jets with Mark Sanchez — won two playoff games and reached the AFC Championship Game. (No rookie QB has ever reached the Super Bowl).

That leaves us with six rookie quarterbacks who won their first playoff start:

1999 Buccaneers: Shaun King
2004 Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger
2008 Ravens: Joe Flacco
2009 Jets: Mark Sanchez
2011 Texans: T.J. Yates
2012 Seahawks: Russell Wilson

*Dieter Brock was technically a 34-year old NFL rookie when he won a playoff game with the Los Angeles Rams, but he spent a decade in the CFL prior to joining the NFL. If you count him as a rookie, he’s on the list for winning a playoff game with the 1985 Rams.

**Pat Haden also won a playoff game for the Rams in 1976, but he spent a year in the World Football League before joining the NFL.

If you break this list down even further, Yates didn’t get the 2011 Texans to the postseason. He filled in for an injured Matt Schaub. He also beat the Bengals, who were starting Andy Dalton in his rookie season. The 2012 Seahawks also got their win against another rookie QB, Washington’s Robert Griffin III.

That leaves us with four rookie quarterbacks who beat a veteran quarterback in their first playoff start. Of the four, Flacco and Sanchez were the only ones who won on the road.[/blockquote]

Edited by childofpudding
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Read this morning from The Athletic:

[blockquote]

1999 Buccaneers: Shaun King
2004 Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger
2008 Ravens: Joe Flacco
2009 Jets: Mark Sanchez
2011 Texans: T.J. Yates
2012 Seahawks: Russell Wilson

[/blockquote]

All 6 of those teams had a top 5 defense.

The 2021 Patriots have a top 5 defense.

Its going to be difficult but Jones has the minimum support needed apparently.

Edit: The 1976 and 1985 Rams also had top 5 D's

Edited by SkippyX

Eagles Truth

They are 0-7 against teams with a winning record (0-6 vs playoff teams and lost to the Chargers as well)

They gave up 188 points in the first 6 of those games (31.3 per game)

They gave up 51 in the last game (with backups) but Dallas scored 41 against their starters earlier.

The Eagles beat the crud out of Atlanta, Detroit, Denver, the Jets, and the Giants (once)

I'm not sure any of that helps them in the playoffs.

I think its fair to say their defense might be as big a liability as the Steelers offense.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

They are 0-7 against teams with a winning record (0-6 vs playoff teams and lost to the Chargers as well)

We beat New Orleans who has a winning record and we should’ve beat the Chargers, so not sure that’s worth bringing up. 

Also, one of those losses to playoff teams is irrelevant as it was against our back-ups with the starters resting week 18. All of the other 5 losses to playoff teams all came in the first 7 weeks of the season. I hated the schedule when it first came out cause I knew as a team with a first year starting QB and first year HC and first year play callers for both sides it would be extremely difficult to get off to a good start. We were fairly competitve in almost all the games besides Cowboys and Raiders. We also hadn’t bought into running the ball at all and were being super pats happy throwing 30-50 times a game with Hurts before realizing that wasn’t a winning formula. Felt like Howie and Lurie probably wanted to get a good look at what Hurts could do early. That was the only thing I could think of early in the season for the lack of touches for the RBs.

Gannon was super vanilla early in the season like he didn’t trust the defense. Our run defense was pretty meh early (thank god we cut Wilson and inserted Edwards) in the season and is top 5 now. Granted we haven’t played a ton of great backs from what I remember. Our defense isn’t great by any means, but it’s not as big of a liability as the Steelers offense and if you don’t know that you haven’t been watching.

Tampa has lost 2 of their 3 best receivers and forecasts for the game right now are like 75 percent chance of rain and 20-30 mph winds. To be fair  it’s Tampa, so you can’t really know how accurate the weather will be till game day.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

The weather changes in Florida all the time.

That being said its looking like rain with constant 20 mph winds with higher gusts.

It might help the Eagles run game but Brady is probably the best bad weather QB in NFL history.

Its also really hard to cover people in the rain when you don't know where they are going but they do.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Bigger Underdog 

2017 Eagles to win any of the games they played that post season

Or

2021 Eagles vs TB

PS: NFLN playing Week 6 TB vs PHI. Maybe I'll watch to see the 9 carries by a RB (Sanders).

2021. 2017 Eagles were not a sizeable underdog in any of the games they played due to trench play and homefield.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:55 PM, soflbillsfan said:

Define health? I cant speak for titans or Chiefs but I can tell you the bills havent been the luckiest when it comes to health whether it is injuries or covid related they have had their lumps. Their oline had 2 different LT having to play this year, 4 different LG, 3 different RG, and 2 different RT. Not to mention they lost their #2, #3, and #4 wr along with their stud TE to 1 or more games. Then you have defense in which your LB was out 2 games, your run stuffing DT has been out 6 games, then your stud shut down corner has been out since thanksgiving along with several other key factors. Bills could have had a couple more wins added on had they had a healthy team at the time. 

I dont agree that the titans being the weakest 1 seed. I think people have this presumption that titans dont have a high powered QB, or that even though they win games its not in a dominant matter as their point differential is only +65 while seed 2, 3, 4, and 6 have a higher point differential. It may be that they arent a top 10 offensive statistically or they arent a top 10 defense except in points given up. I think titans did what they needed to do this year and they now will get to show the world why they were the 1 seed next week

you don't have to talk that much, you are just wrong. The Bills have been very healthy compared to the rest.

• Like 1