Early Prediction: First Overall Pick?

SmittyBacall

As far as Thibs/Hutch, I think a lot will hinge on who we hire as the DC and what style of defense we run. I fully am expecting Thibs/Neal though.

I do like Hutch but I’m not sure I have him quite up there with either of those two. He seems to be a fairly volatile prospect by most too. Some have him as the #1 guy and I’ve seen others have him near the bottom of the top 10 to as low as the mid teens.

13 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

you mean the 1 Year he missed cuz he blew out his ACL.  he opted out in 2020 but he could have played. 

he didnt play much this year cuz he didnt have the ability to play RT as well as LT.  

I thought he also had a back injury?

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Placeholders until 2023 for what reason? We just saddled him with the worst set of weapons as a rookie and basically wasted his rookie year. No reason not to throw a bunch of resources and young guys to build with him this year, especially at the receiver/TE position.

When I use the term "placeholder" I'm not talking about guys like Tavon Austin and Laquon Treadwell.  I'm talking about a couple of veteran receivers who would be significant upgrades over the slugs we had out there this year.  They won't be All-Pro receivers, but they should be good enough to consistently get open and hold onto the ball when Trevor throws it to them.

If we can trade down from #1 and draft one of the top receivers and tight ends in the draft this year, I would be all for it, but the value needs to be there.  It just sounds like it's going to be tough to trade down from #1 with no great QB's available in this year's draft. 

What I was thinking we is find a couple of very good receivers who are mercs that we would need to overpay, but only sign them for a year or two.  Next year we won't be sitting at the very top of the draft, and we should still be in a position where a real difference maker or two could be within our reach for good value. 

In the meantime, we get the best value out of the picks we have this year.  We're not just a couple of wide receivers and a tight end away from greatness, so we need to make the best use of the resources we have.  That's all I was saying. 

What do you think of that?

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

When I use the term "placeholder" I'm not talking about guys like Tavon Austin and Laquon Treadwell.  I'm talking about a couple of veteran receivers who would be significant upgrades over the slugs we had out there this year.  They won't be All-Pro receivers, but they should be good enough to consistently get open and hold onto the ball when Trevor throws it to them.

If we can trade down from #1 and draft one of the top receivers and tight ends in the draft this year, I would be all for it, but the value needs to be there.  It just sounds like it's going to be tough to trade down from #1 with no great QB's available in this year's draft. 

What I was thinking we is find a couple of very good receivers who are mercs that we would need to overpay, but only sign them for a year or two.  Next year we won't be sitting at the very top of the draft, and we should still be in a position where a real difference maker or two could be within our reach for good value. 

In the meantime, we get the best value out of the picks we have this year.  We're not just a couple of wide receivers and a tight end away from greatness, so we need to make the best use of the resources we have.  That's all I was saying. 

What do you think of that?

This class is great as far as far receivers go. I think it’d be a mistake not to grab 2-3 receivers at least.

Look at the list of FA WRs last year and the production they got. Pretty much all of them under performed (look no further than Marvin Jones). Trevor Lawrence just had to go through one of the toughest rookie seasons ever. If you put him through another season where there’s even a chance of him not having enough around him it’d be malpractice imo. That’s the only thing that matters right now. 

Give him all the weapons and worry about other things later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Trading down seems nice, but the cost is prohibitive for a team moving up because the Jaguars are going to want full value for that pick.  Plus, I'm not sure there's a true #1 WR in this year's draft.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Trading down seems nice, but the cost is prohibitive for a team moving up because the Jaguars are going to want full value for that pick.  Plus, I'm not sure there's a true #1 WR in this year's draft.

Just you wait, 8 inch hands Kenny Pickett is about to save us. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

@CWood21  @Uncle Buck @.Buzz

As an outsider, I’m just curious where you all stand on DJ Chark in this conversation? Just reading through it sounds like you’re saying you need receivers 1-4. But I figured most fans would comfortably call him #2 if nothing else. I know the health is a concern.

Ideally he’s a priority this off-season. He’s been pretty underwhelming since his pro bowl season but the QB play likely played a large role. The offense with him compared to without him this season was evident.

A fully healthy Chark definitely has the upside to be a legit #2. Still need to ideally sign a guy like Godwin/Gallup (even with ACLs) or Mike Williams as well as use #33 to address the position. The receiver room is that poor.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This class is great as far as far receivers go. I think it’d be a mistake not to grab 2-3 receivers at least.

Look at the list of FA WRs last year and the production they got. Pretty much all of them under performed (look no further than Marvin Jones). Trevor Lawrence just had to go through one of the toughest rookie seasons ever. If you put him through another season where there’s even a chance of him not having enough around him it’d be malpractice imo. That’s the only thing that matters right now. 

Give him all the weapons and worry about other things later.

I do tend to agree with you on the free agent wide receivers.  It doesn't seem like it happens all that often that someone picks up a free agent and he goes off for huge numbers the following year.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Ideally he’s a priority this off-season. He’s been pretty underwhelming since his pro bowl season but the QB play likely played a large role. The offense with him compared to without him this season was evident.

A fully healthy Chark definitely has the upside to be a legit #2. Still need to ideally sign a guy like Godwin/Gallup (even with ACLs) or Mike Williams as well as use #33 to address the position. The receiver room is that poor.

What about a guy like Jamison Crowder? He’s been pretty underrated and with a better quarterback might be able to still contribute fairly significantly in the slot.

Then spend 33 on a WR/TE and re-sign Chark and you guys might be well on your way. 

Gallup would be pretty nice too. I still feel like Godwin is going to stay in Tampa. Financials might be the only thing that stops them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I do tend to agree with you on the free agent wide receivers.  It doesn't seem like it happens all that often that someone picks up a free agent and he goes off for huge numbers the following year.

Maybe not frequently. But it seems to me part of that is because bad teams, being run poorly, overpay big names to try and become relevant and continue to misuse their talent. Which is often why they were bad in the first place.

Emmanuel Sanders, PIT>DEN

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yep.  That's what I was thinking too, CWood21.  I'd like to get some weapons for us right now, but I'm afraid we would be losing a lot in value.  I was thinking we might be in a better position next year if we are maybe picking a little lower. 

I haven't done any real studying of the college receivers than watching a highlight video or two of each one.  They all look good, but I was hoping to get more of a Julio Jones/Larry Fitzgerald type.  A little bigger and an obvious #1 who can do it all.

@CWood21 @.Buzz what do you guys think of the situation with Jameson Williams?  Any chance he would drop to #33, and if he did, would he be worth taking with that pick.  I was thinking maybe we could look at him as kind of like a David Robinson situation when he was drafted in the NBA but had to spend some time in the navy before he could play.  Even though they missed some time initially, he ended up being a great pick for them.  How far do you think Jameson will fall now?

34 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

@CWood21  @Uncle Buck @.Buzz

As an outsider, I’m just curious where you all stand on DJ Chark in this conversation? Just reading through it sounds like you’re saying you need receivers 1-4. But I figured most fans would comfortably call him #2 if nothing else. I know the health is a concern.

I mean, that's probably his upside.  Like you said, he has trouble staying healthy as he's played in 43 games over 4 years which means he's likely missing at least one or two games a year minimum.  You give him the targets and he seems to produce with them, so as long as he stays healthy he's a solid WR.  Probably nothing more than a #2.

• Like 1