Will R R go crazy to get Christain McCaffrey ?

RSkinGM

Oh god, please no. The only way I’d take McCaffery is if it’s on his rookie contract and that isn’t happening. The exact reason the Panthers want to trade him is the exact reason why we shouldn’t trade for him. He can’t stay healthy and he’s making $14.3 million next year as a running back who can’t stay healthy.

Just re-sign McKissic for 2 years for like $3 million a year. Keep Gibson as the starter, maybe draft a rookie RB in the mid to late rounds to take some carries away from Gibson but I don’t hate having Patterson as a 3rd RB and Jonathan Williams as a 4th option either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh god, please no. The only way I’d take McCaffery is if it’s on his rookie contract and that isn’t happening. The exact reason the Panthers want to trade him is the exact reason why we shouldn’t trade for him. He can’t stay healthy and he’s making $14.3 million next year as a running back who can’t stay healthy.

Just re-sign McKissic for 2 years for like $3 million a year. Keep Gibson as the starter, maybe draft a rookie RB in the mid to late rounds to take some carries away from Gibson but I don’t hate having Patterson as a 3rd RB and Jonathan Williams as a 4th option either.

I don't think we get a RB unless they are returning kicks and DeAndre Carter did pretty well for us in that category. I think that Patterson showed enough to stay on the roster and Jonathan Williams is good in a reserve role. I think it is imperative we resign McKissic.

• Like 1

Same question I ask from Black Monday until opening kickoff in Week One: What are we giving up?

Because McCaffrey is the type of player that you have to at least kick the tires. Putting aside the injuries for the moment, he’s a franchise-changing talent. Even this year, he was dominant when he was on the field. There were 5 games in which he played more than 40% of the snaps, and he put up 710 total yards in those 5 games (142.5 yards per game). Extrapolate that over a 17 game season, and that’s 2414 total yards. That would be 3rd most all-time, just behind CJ2K (in his 2009 OPOY season that put the “2k” in his nickname) and Marshall Faulk (in his 1999 OPOY season where we first met the Greatest Show on Turf). And right behind it would be...also McCaffrey, in 2019, when he put up nearly 2400 yards. The crazy thing is that among those 5 games I’m counting, he was on limited snaps in at least 2 of them (only 49% of snaps against the Pats and 59% against the Cardinals). 

The point being, he’s a genuine superstar when he’s on the field. A HOF caliber player. If we got him at full speed and full health, he’d be the best player we’ve had on our roster in...a long time. 

Obviously, the recent rash of injuries over the last 2 years means you can’t trust him to be on the field. I would assume this lack of reliability (and the size of the gamble any acquiring team would be taking) means it’s unlikely the Panthers get anyone to pony up the kind of return they’d likely demand. But at a certain price, that gamble could be worth it, for such a transformative player. Gibson plus a couple of picks, one this year (maybe a 3rd) and one next year (upside of a 2nd, conditional on snaps/playing time)? Maybe it’d be worth it. He’s a phenomenal player.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Same question I ask from Black Monday until opening kickoff in Week One: What are we giving up?

Because McCaffrey is the type of player that you have to at least kick the tires. Putting aside the injuries for the moment, he’s a franchise-changing talent. Even this year, he was dominant when he was on the field. There were 5 games in which he played more than 40% of the snaps, and he put up 710 total yards in those 5 games (142.5 yards per game). Extrapolate that over a 17 game season, and that’s 2414 total yards. That would be 3rd most all-time, just behind CJ2K (in his 2009 OPOY season that put the “2k” in his nickname) and Marshall Faulk (in his 1999 OPOY season where we first met the Greatest Show on Turf). And right behind it would be...also McCaffrey, in 2019, when he put up nearly 2400 yards. The crazy thing is that among those 5 games I’m counting, he was on limited snaps in at least 2 of them (only 49% of snaps against the Pats and 59% against the Cardinals). 

The point being, he’s a genuine superstar when he’s on the field. A HOF caliber player. If we got him at full speed and full health, he’d be the best player we’ve had on our roster in...a long time. 

Obviously, the recent rash of injuries over the last 2 years means you can’t trust him to be on the field. I would assume this lack of reliability (and the size of the gamble any acquiring team would be taking) means it’s unlikely the Panthers get anyone to pony up the kind of return they’d likely demand. But at a certain price, that gamble could be worth it, for such a transformative player. Gibson plus a couple of picks, one this year (maybe a 3rd) and one next year (upside of a 2nd, conditional on snaps/playing time)? Maybe it’d be worth it. He’s a phenomenal player.

What do you think is a reasonable trade offer for both sides?  Washington sends Carolina a 3rd and future 5th for McCaffrey?  Carolina fans would probably think that is too little, and I think Washington fans would feel like that's too much.  Usually when both sides are unhappy is where the deal settles. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

What do you think is a reasonable trade offer for both sides?  Washington sends Carolina a 3rd and future 5th for McCaffrey?  Carolina fans would probably think that is too little, and I think Washington fans would feel like that's too much.  Usually when both sides are unhappy is where the deal settles. 

I think we should get McCaffrey and a 3rd in 2023 for a 2022 second . That's a BIG contract to take on for an ijnury risk player . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I think we should get McCaffrey and a 3rd in 2023 for a 2022 second . That's a BIG contract to take on for an ijnury risk player . 

It’s never going to happen if that’s the case. The Panthers aren’t going to give up McCaffery for a mid round pick IMO and I don’t think Rivera is going to want to overpay in terms of draft picks for an oft-injured player despite how talented they are and despite that he used to play for him.

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

I don't think the ROI stacks up. That is a lot to give up for a player that has a lot of wear on them tires. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ghostnote said:

a player that has a lot of wear on them tires. 

He's just 25, 26 in June and hasn't played much for two years due to injury. He shouldbn't have a ton of wear and tear. He is a game changer if IF IF IF he can stay on the field. I agree with e16bball- let's at least kick the tires .

18 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Nah, I'd do that. But I don't think it's realistic. 

• Like 1