Wildcard Round GDT - Dallas Cowboys vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

No need to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday for this thread, let's start the discussions NOW. 

We just witnessed one of the most stressful and gratifying games in years for this team and all we wanted was a chance to make a run in the playoffs and here we are. Not going to lie, the Cowboys were far below the list of teams I wanted to face.

Offensively, we are going to need Trent Williams to return or else it's going to be a LONG day for Jimmy and the offense. The Cowboys have three legitimate edge rushers in Tank, Gregory and Parsons. They can come from the edge or from the interior. Just a stupid stacked front the Cowboys have. Shanny is going to have to somehow slow that rush down and make them hesitant to pin their ears. The running game will have to get going from the get go and we will need to control the TOP. Diggs gets more hate than he deserves but he can be had just like Ramsey yesterday. Jimmy will need to try to manipulate his eyes with some pump fakes and maybe hit one over the top. Brown is a speedster but Deebo or Aiyuk can get him on those in breaking routes and can force some missed tackles for some big YAC plays. One reason why I don't like this match up aside from the pass rush of the Cowboys is that they are as good as it gets in terms of creating turnovers and we have a QB that loves giving the ball up with the dumbest decisions. If only JImmy could play a clean game......

Defensively, just like against the Rams, we have to force the Cowboys to be one dimensional. They have weapons all over the perimeter and a very good TE but it will at least give our DL a chance to get after Dak . It won't be easy as it was yesterday as the Cowboys OL is very good. Just like we need Trent back on the offensive side, we will need K'waun back on the defensive side. Tartt has a groin strain so I have no idea if he will be able to go or not but that will be a loss if he can't go. The communication between him and Ward is just top level and they don't allow many breakdowns when they are playing next to each other. Then you have Hufanga also banged up but I haven't read what happened to him. I don't want to rely on Johnson starting next to Ward. If we can have Tartt/K'waun back and with how much Thomas is improving and with Moseley back in action, we at least will give ourselves a chance to somewhat slow this passing offense down. When the Cowboys get rolling, boy do they get rolling. I don't care if they played against the Eagles back ups, they put up 51 points on them on Saturday and put up 50+ against the WFT. Who else has been doing that this season? If we have any leaks on the back end, it goes without saying what type of game this will be. So please #3, come heal up and get on the field this week! 

This may be a homer prediction but I truly believe talent wise this team can match up with ANY team. The losses come when we make stupid mistakes but we haven't been outclassed all season long. I think the run game is good enough and Jimmy makes enough plays without having multiple turnovers and we pull off another nail biter. 

SF 27

Dal 24

• Like 2

I think if we can get our run game going, we'll take this game. Seems like Dallas has not been great at limiting yardage in the pass game either, but they have been GREAT at forcing turnovers. If we can get Mitchell going and we're not forced to put the ball in the air, I feel pretty good about this one. 

This game is on CBS? Guess we're getting Nantz/Romo 

I believe this is our first playoff matchup against the Cowboys since the '94 NFCCG? Crazy how we used to play all the time in the playoffs but then had a 27 year drought 

We desperately need both Williams back. Parsons & Lamb will carve us up otherwise

Shanny vs Quinn is an interesting matchup. If any defensive coach knows Shanny and his tendencies its Quinn. 

Diggs leads the league in INT's but also apparently leads in yards given up. My prediction, he gets a pick but also gives up a TD to Aiyuk or Samuel. 

Think it'll be another close game. We'll have our hands full for sure. We'll need our pass rush and hopefully Tartt/Hufanga are back too

Edited by 49ersfan

35 minutes ago, Forge said:

Dallas #1 overall in dvoa 

Offensively- #6

Defensively - #2

STs - #6

Total - #1

49ers:

Offensively - #5

Defensively - #7

STs - #26

Total - #6

Crazy thing is if we are just average in STs, we probably finish close to the top 3. 

#5 offense vs #2 defense

#6 offense vs #7 defense

Hell of a match up across the board! 

12 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

This game is on CBS? Guess we're getting Nantz/Romo 

I believe this is our first playoff matchup against the Cowboys since the '94 NFCCG? Crazy how we used to play all the time in the playoffs but then had a 27 year drought 

We desperately need both Williams back. Parsons & Lamb will carve us up otherwise

Shanny vs Quinn is an interesting matchup. If any defensive coach knows Shanny and his tendencies its Quinn. 

Diggs leads the league in INT's but also apparently leads in yards given up. My prediction, he gets a pick but also gives up a TD to Aiyuk or Samuel. 

Think it'll be another close game. We'll have our hands full for sure. We'll need our pass rush and hopefully Tartt/Hufanga are back too

Yep, we are getting the A team broadcast with Romo/Nantz. 

Still worried about how we stop their pass rush, especially when they have Parsons coming off the edge. If Trent doesn't play, I just can't see us winning. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

Cowboys are going with a Whiteout, which means we get home reds. Is there a possibility for our throwback alternate home unis? I can’t remember the uni rules for the playoffs.

I feel like we can't, but I don't know that for sure either. I just remember that we wanted to wear our throwback whites against the Chiefs in the Super Bowl and they wouldn't let us. 

27 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Cowboys are going with a Whiteout, which means we get home reds. Is there a possibility for our throwback alternate home unis? I can’t remember the uni rules for the playoffs.

NFL would be smart to allow it, get a super throw back playoff feel. 

Niners record vs playoff teams:

4-4

Cowboys record vs playoff teams:

3-4

Cowboys had one win against the Eagles where they didn't play most of their starters but they would have probably won anyways.

Pretty even though. The rankings, the talent and record against playoff teams.

Niners went 2-4 in the division while the Cowboys went 6-0. One division is much better than the other but the Cowboys handled business against teams they should have, and we didn't.  That's why one team is the #3 seed, while the other is a #6 seed.

Doesn't matter now though! Just win baby!

I believe if we get our run game going, we will win this game. Hopefully Mitchell and Deebo are rested because they will get a good amount of the touches this upcoming game, strictly from the running back role. I would like to see Wilson get some touches too, but Kyle is stubborn about staying with the hot hand. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Offensively- #6

Defensively - #2

STs - #6

Total - #1

49ers:

Offensively - #5

Defensively - #7

STs - #26

Total - #6

Crazy thing is if we are just average in STs, we probably finish close to the top 3. 

#5 offense vs #2 defense

#6 offense vs #7 defense

Hell of a match up across the board! 

You got these numbers broken down for second half of the season?