GM Finalists (Schoen, Poles, Peters)

Acgott

These are all good signs so far. Would like to see a Browns or Ravens guy on that list, along with Ed Dodds.

Who knows if that group of guys we have requested so far contains an actual good GM, and if there is, there is no guarantee we pick them, but interviewing more people gives you more chances at finding the right guy and it gives you more different points of view, which is great. This is at least much, much better than 2017 when we interviewed Dave Gettleman, Kevin Abrams, and Louis Riddick and that's it.

For all those who thought the Giants job wasn't desirable anymore because it we've sucked for a decade, see above.

The Giants job is almost always going to be desirable, and it is especially so this year, regardless of the cap situation and recent public perception. Bottom line, Mara is an owner who cares about winning and will spend money. We are in the best sports market in the world, and the team has a very rich and successful history overall. This doesn't surprise me at all.

I don't care how much Mara and co loved Schoen yesterday, bring all these guys on for interviews. I'm of the belief that you cannot cast too wide of a net in this GM search. Outside perspectives, even if you don't hire the person presenting them, are so valuable.

That said, I do think Schoen is ultimately the guy when it is all said and done.

12 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

On one hand I like they are doing their due diligence. On the other hand shouldn’t have this been the approach since once Reese was fired? 

They honed in on Gettleman and didn't want to risk another team hiring him. Awful, awful process. The good news is that they've seemed to learn from that. Whether they make the right choice from what it remains to be seen, but at least the process is sound.

Ryan Poles is an interesting name to consider. He's a former BC lineman, interviewed for the Vikings job as well, and has a really good feel specifically for the OL. If your number one concern is fixing the OL, assuming he can do the other facets of the job as well, he's definitely a guy you'd look at.

Also, without knowing much about any of these guys, I'm going to say that my favorite choice right now is Adam Peters, and I'd want him to bring Mike McDaniel with him as HC.

12 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

On one hand I like they are doing their due diligence. On the other hand shouldn’t have this been the approach since once Reese was fired? 

I think that the Giants have always prided themselves and keeping things in house an doing things the "Gians way."  So far, and I could be wrong, the approach they have taken this offseason leads me to believe that Tisch is having more of a say than usual.  

7 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

So far, and I could be wrong, the approach they have taken this offseason leads me to believe that Tisch is having more of a say than usual.  

And what are you basing this off of? Tisch is having the same involvement as he always is.

Giants are going out of their home because they realize they messed up when they rushed their last GM pick and went with a trusted former executive.

4 minutes ago, Acgott said:

And what are you basing this off of? Tisch is having the same involvement as he always is.

Giants are going out of their home because they realize they messed up when they rushed their last GM pick and went with a trusted former executive.

Because Mara has always been the driving force behind the "Giants way."  That and also there were reports that Mara wanted to actually keep Judge for another year, but Tisch ultimately made the call to fire him.

2 minutes ago, Gmen19851 said:

Because Mara has always been the driving force behind the "Giants way."  That and also there were reports that Mara wanted to actually keep Judge for another year, but Tisch ultimately made the call to fire him.

Maybe Tisch was pushing it, but I don’t think he has anymore power then he normally does. Mara is there everyday, and Tisch is still based in LA. Nevertheless, we got what we needed. A true blow up.

Just now, Acgott said:

Maybe Tisch was pushing it, but I don’t think he has anymore power then he normally does. Mara is there everyday, and Tisch is still based in LA. Nevertheless, we got what we needed. A true blow up.

Sorry if my original post pointed to him having more power.  I don't believe that.  But I do believe he's being more assertive.