GM Finalists (Schoen, Poles, Peters)

Acgott

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Everyone always talks about how stacked the 49ers roster is, right? Well, go back and look at all the early misses this team has had and then look at the gems they have drafted in the later rounds or even all the UDFA contributors. Early picks are usually going to be the decision of Kyle or even Lynch, but as the draft progressed, that's where Peters and his team would have more influence. 

Everyone in the Niners organization and even fanbase acknowledge that Peters is really good at identifying talent in the mid to late rounds. That's where the draft evaluators make their money from. 

Giants definitely need help everywhere. Both your coordinators only have a year of OC/DC experience. Have you heard any speculation which way he would go, or if he would go outside the organization? 

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Giants definitely need help everywhere. Both your coordinators only have a year of OC/DC experience. Have you heard any speculation which way he would go, or if he would go outside the organization? 

I haven't to be honest. Not sure Peters will hire either as a HC. I think Ryans is definitely a HC within two years but don't think he becomes one in this coaching cycle. McDaniel is a different type of guy and isn't the prototypical face of the team that organizations look for but everyone vouches for him and say he is a genius at what does....BUT, he has no experience calling plays. He's a OC by title but Kyle still calls all the plays. But we have seen coordinators or positional coaches get HC gigs without calling plays. 

What have you heard in terms of potential HC targets or are you guys waiting to hire a GM first? 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I haven't to be honest. Not sure Peters will hire either as a HC. I think Ryans is definitely a HC within two years but don't think he becomes one in this coaching cycle. McDaniel is a different type of guy and isn't the prototypical face of the team that organizations look for but everyone vouches for him and say he is a genius at what does....BUT, he has no experience calling plays. He's a OC by title but Kyle still calls all the plays. But we have seen coordinators or positional coaches get HC gigs without calling plays. 

What have you heard in terms of potential HC targets or are you guys waiting to hire a GM first? 

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking as well. I wouldn’t be worried about McDaniel not calling plays, we can hire an OC for that, more concern with the personality and managing a team,

Giants haven’t publicly contacted any HC candidates yet. They want the GM to lead that charge. Regarding early rumors it’s Scheon/Daboll and Peters teaming with Flores.

Regarding McDaniels, do you see a scenario where he would take the Giants OC job, so he can call plays, even if the Giants go with someone else like Flores.

5 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking as well. I wouldn’t be worried about McDaniel not calling plays, we can hire an OC for that, more concern with the personality and managing a team,

Giants haven’t publicly contacted any HC candidates yet. They want the GM to lead that charge. Regarding early rumors it’s Scheon/Daboll and Peters teaming with Flores.

Regarding McDaniels, do you see a scenario where he would take the Giants OC job, so he can call plays, even if the Giants go with someone else like Flores.

I don't think so. Even though that would give McDaniel an opportunity to call plays, I think he will leave for a HC gig but not an OC gig. Unless he is close to the HC. McDaniel has been at Shanny's hip since he got to the league. But honestly this is just my opinion and I haven't heard if he would or would not leave for the ability to call plays. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Acgott said:

WOW... and i mean WOW like HOLY SH** WOW. That is unlike the Gmen in any way shape or form. I have to credit Mara and Tisch for basically saying "hey what WE are doing isnt working" ... This is a very different kind of power ive ever seen them give up. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

WOW... and i mean WOW like HOLY SH** WOW. That is unlike the Gmen in any way shape or form. I have to credit Mara and Tisch for basically saying "hey what WE are doing isnt working" ... This is a very different kind of power ive ever seen them give up. 

Yes, a very good thing to see. However, now we just have to trust them to make the correct hire 😄😩😭

• Like 2

I have a feeling it's going to be Joe Schoen. Would be happy with any of the three finalists, but him most of all. A good executive, but also a natural football guy with a rich background in scouting. I'd be very excited to see what he can do for us.

• Like 1

Found this thread regarding our last GM search in 2017.

Not to toot my own horn, but this is what I said in that thread:

The Maras want a change of culture but are going to hire a guy who is exactly like the guy they just fired. Gettleman would be a horrible hire and we'd get more of the same, and we'd also be looking to hire another GM in 4 years. Mike Smith would be a terrible hire as well, as would keeping Spags on in any capacity. We need a total clean slate.

5 years later, we are finally getting a clean slate!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Found this thread regarding our last GM search in 2017.

Not to toot my own horn, but this is what I said in that thread:

5 years later, we are finally getting a clean slate!

Going to pretend my post in that thread doesn't exist 😁

• Like 1