A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

I like that they're casting a wide net for GM candidates, and the fact that several of them have worked with potential head coaching candidates is not lost on me.  It's a good way to vet those candidates, and see who might have good working relationships.

Bringing in all these varying backgrounds, I'm guessing part of the interviews will be their take on the cap situations, Cousins, and all that, so it's a way to crowdsource some ideas in that area regardless of who's hired.

• Like 2

Just now, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I assume these interviews are being done by Zoom?

From my understanding, yes. The team is looking to cast a wide net and interview many candidates via video conference. They’ll then narrow their list and do in person interviews with the finalists. 

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

From my understanding, yes. The team is looking to cast a wide net and interview many candidates via video conference. They’ll then narrow their list and do in person interviews with the finalists. 

That makes sense.

I was going to say with the amount of candidates we're tied to right now, the interview process may get done by October if we had to fly everyone in lol

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure how seriously I take any of these reports about “the Vikings are interested in…” since they haven’t hired a GM yet and that’s going to play the biggest role in who they hire as head coach. But it’s worth a note. 

There is some merit to it, because they are going to be running both searches in parallel to do their due diligence. The new GM will definitely make (or help make) the final decision, but they'll probably have a narrowed list and lots of research done beforehand. 

You want to give the new team as much time as possible to prepare for the Draft, free agency, etc. so you don't want this process to drag on forever.

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not sure how seriously I take any of these reports about “the Vikings are interested in…” since they haven’t hired a GM yet and that’s going to play the biggest role in who they hire as head coach. But it’s worth a note. 

Since they source Fowler, this is speculative from that ESPN+ article I sourced the other day.  No connection drawn, no interview request (yet).

47 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

There is some merit to it, because they are going to be running both searches in parallel to do their due diligence. The new GM will definitely make (or help make) the final decision, but they'll probably have a narrowed list and lots of research done beforehand. 

You want to give the new team as much time as possible to prepare for the Draft, free agency, etc. so you don't want this process to drag on forever.

I'd also assume that these GM candidates already have their ducks in a row as for who they want as their HC as well so the second they put pen to paper, they're calling their shortlist of HC candidates.