A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

22 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Ben brought it up now

No freaking thank you on that one.  Give me Ryan Day all day over Lane freaking Kiffin.  Interesting coach but not sure he is NFL material to be honest, he is good where he is at in college.  

Honestly Brian Flores could be the best HC out there right now, I was shocked he was fired.  He or Vic Fangio another guy who should not have been fired honestly.  

• Like 1

Spielman: 

"I am honored to have been a part of the Minnesota Vikings organization and this incredible community for the past 16 years. The people of this state welcomed me and my family and treated us with the utmost respect throughout our tenure. Michelle and I created many special memories with our children here, and we will always consider Minnesota our home.

Vikings fans, you are some of the most passionate in all of sports. The tremendous game day atmosphere and home field advantage at U.S. Bank Stadium is because of each of you. There is nothing like the emotions we shared together at kickoff each Sunday.

To the Vikings players, coaches and staff, I sincerely appreciate your tireless efforts to win and your dedication to this community and the fan base. There are so many talented people throughout this organization, and because of that, the Vikings will continue to be a special place in the future.

Finally, I want to thank Zygi & Mark Wilf and the entire Wilf family for believing in me and consistently providing the resources for us to be successful as a football operations staff. It is not common in the NFL to be in a position for this long, which goes to show how this ownership group believes in stability and supports their leaders.

While today is emotional, I wish the Minnesota Vikings and Vikings fans nothing but future success."

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/rick-spielman-issues-statement-after-being-fired-by-vikings

• Like 2

With Spielman being fired, I assume all of these guys are fired as well?  Not sure how all of that work exactly but I would assume Spielman hired them all so....  Will be interesting to see what happens, same with the Vikings coaching staff as well I guess even though Andre Patterson I assume would be kept on regardless of who is the HC, same with Keenan McCardell who actually has arguably HC ability if he continues to progress.  Maybe keep Kennedy Polamalu as well but I would not keep anyone else.  

Player Personnel / Football Administration

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I assume all of these guys are fired as well?  Not sure how all of that work exactly but I would assume Spielman hired them all so....  Will be interesting to see what happens, same with the Vikings coaching staff as

Everyone who’s under contract is still under contract. And they’ll remain under contract until a new GM or HC decides to let them go. 

Zimmer was officially dismissed by the Vikings on Monday morning (along with GM Rick Spielman, per NFL Network.) Sources tell CowboysSI.com that in the event that present defensive coordinator Dan Quinn moves on to a head coaching job after Dallas' present run is over, Zimmer - a former Cowboys assistant with deep ties to the Jones family - will be high on the list of potential Quinn replacements.

Quinn, as we've reported, will be a top candidate to take over in Denver with the Broncos having fired Vic Fangio. We're also told that if Seattle parts ways with long-time coach Pete Carroll, the Seahawks will be interested in bringing Quinn back there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dan-quinn-moves-dallas-fired-vikings-coach-mike-zimmer?fbclid=IwAR2aZ6hOfWoXambleam9rHsEoKJNkmMISoJrzcpfBkfZB8svXanEgNZhCIU

it's why we call it a carousel...

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

All of what these players are coming out and saying just cements for me how I’ve always tried to coach. 

sounds like the environment under Zimmer might have been a little stifling. 

The authoritarian thing worked for Zimmer when he first got here but like usual it faded and players go sick of it, a lot of players clearly did not respond to his leadership style and that was pretty obvious this year.  Clearly he did not change much, but Nick Saban used to be like that when he first got to Bama, he has lighted up quite a bit since then and adapted to the times, not sure one can coach players that hard anymore to be honest.  They just do not respond to it, it is a different time that is for sure.

some likely GM candidates:

Mike Borgonzi, Assistant General Manager, Kansas City Chiefs

Is this the year someone steals Borgonzi away from KC? The Chiefs lifer’s name pops up every cycle, but each time he’s remained with the organization. Kansas City’s roster has been chock full of high-level talent for years. The Chiefs have become a bit of a GM factory, and Mike Borgonzi has followed a familiar path.

He’s spent more than a decade within the organization learning the ropes. He served as the team’s director of football operations before getting a promotion in 2021. His fingerprints have been all over some of the franchise’s biggest acquisitions. It’s only a matter of time that he gets to call the shots somewhere.

Morocco Brown, Director of College Scouting, Indianapolis Colts

Morocco Brown is a familiar name to anyone who follows NFL personnel department news. He got an interview for the Falcons’ GM opening last year, and while the job ultimately went to Terry Fontenot, Brown certainly was better for the experience.

Brown has more than two decades of experience in the NFL, spending time with the Browns, Washington, and Bears before joining the Colts. He’s had a big say in the Colts selecting major pieces like Quenton Nelson, Darius Leonard, Jonathan Taylor, and Grover Stewart in recent years.

Thomas Dimitroff, Former General Manager, Atlanta Falcons

If a team wants someone who knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl, they could do a lot worse than Thomas Dimitroff, who has been out of football since the Falcons fired him and coach Dan Quinn one month into the 2020 season.

Quinn has rehabilitated his image by transforming the Cowboys’ defense into one of the best in football. Does Dimitroff deserve a chance to do the same? He built a roster that made six playoff appearances in 13 years, including in 2016 when the Falcons not only reached the Super Bowl but led the game by 25 points before seeing it all slip away.

Dimitroff’s long list of draft picks includes Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, and Grady Jarrett.

Ed Dodds, Assistant General Manager, Indianapolis Colts

It seems one of the league’s most respected talent evaluators is finally going to get the chance to run his own team. Ed Dodds interviewed for the Lions’ GM job last year, but it went to Brad Holmes. It’s hard to see him getting passed over again.

Dodds has been Chris Ballard’s right-hand man since 2017. Prior to that, Dodds helped build Seattle’s Super Bowl roster during a 10-year run with the Seahawks. The Panthers also had interest in Dodds last cycle, but he ultimately withdrew his name from consideration.

Louis Riddick, Former Director of Pro Personnel, Philadelphia Eagles

Long before he was a fixture on ESPN, Louis Riddick was a respected personnel man who spent more than a decade in the league with Washington and Philadelphia. He served as the Eagles’ director of pro personnel from 2010-2013. Riddick knows the game, and he knows how to communicate. It’s time some team made him the face of a franchise.

Joe Schoen, Assistant General Manager, Buffalo Bills

Joe Schoen is another name that’s been through the rumor mill at least once already. He was up for a couple of top jobs last offseason, but nothing ultimately materialized.

Schoen has been Brandon Beane’s top lieutenant the last five years, helping build a roster that has added Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, Devin Singletary, Tre’Davious White, and many other cornerstone pieces. Before joining the Bills, Schoen worked for the Dolphins for a decade. He worked his way up to director of player personnel before leaving for Miami’s division rival.

Eliot Wolf, Front Office Consultant, New England Patriots

Bill Belichick has hiring instincts. And the fact that he brought aboard Eliot Wolf in 2020 even though the two men had never before worked together should tell you something.

Wolf joined the Patriots after 14 seasons with the Green Bay Packers and two with the Cleveland Browns, who made him their assistant general manager in 2018. While with the Packers, Wolf was the director of three different departments at varying times: pro personnel, player personnel, and football operations.

Dave Ziegler, Director of Player Personnel, New England Patriots

Another rising star in Foxboro, Dave Ziegler has learned at Belichick’s knee for the last nine years. Before running the player personnel department, he was the director of pro personnel. Prior to joining the Patriots, Ziegler — a former high school special teams coordinator — spent three seasons with the Broncos.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-gm-candidates-watch-nflwk-15-2021-2022/