A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

Poles, a former college football player who emphasizes scouting, has been with the Kansas City Chiefs since 2009 and was among the lead decision-makers in scouting and drafting Patrick Mahomes.

Adofo-Mensah, a former commodities trader with an Ivy League background, made a career change in 2013, taking on research and development for the San Francisco 49ers and building a team that made a 2018 Super Bowl run without a superstar quarterback.

“The Vikings wanted to interview a host of candidates with different backgrounds, and that’s certainly reflected in their two finalists for the GM job,” ESPN’s Courtney Cronin tweeted. “Ryan Poles’ strengths on the personnel side and Kwesi Adofo-Mensah’s background as a commodities trader with an economics degree coupled with his work in analytics/research in various front office roles will make the Vikings choose one of two paths when they hire a GM. Either can work – choosing someone who has more of an evaluation/scouting background or someone who is heavy in processes/analytics.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/ryan-poles-kwesi-adofo-mensah-nfl/?fbclid=IwAR3iVYqu_Ic7kLKmPmzBQZDReG159OdFdM6rEL6a9jod2yDtLXK4C-suiJQ

Poles:
- Former NFL Player (OL)
- Good Education, College Scouting Background (ground up)
- Long history in NFL (13 years with KC)
- Was part of team that liked Patrick Mahomes
- Fair communication skills

Adofo-Mensah:
- Former Commodities trader
- Highly Educated, with a business / NFL analytics background
- No direct scouting background
- Short history in NFL, but has been promoted relatively fast up the ranks
- Top level communication skills (something that may stand out more in a face to face interview)

I'm hoping for Adofo-Mensah. I prefer the NFL analytics background guy, and I am comfortable with someone delegating scouting to someone else. I also tend to favour the guy, who has been pushed up the ranks 'faster', likely in-part because of good work along the way. Both KC and CLE has strong OLs, but Poles gets a leg up since he has been with the KC OL longer. With Poles, I wonder how he'd be looked upon if they didn't get Mahomes (I liked Mahomes as the best QB that year). I'm sure its easier to get OL free agents to block for the best QB in the league. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm hoping for Adofo-Mensah. I prefer the NFL analytics background guy, and I am comfortable with someone delegating scouting to someone else. I also tend to favour the guy, who has been pushed up the ranks 'faster', likely in-part because of good work along the way. 

very well stated, and i tend to agree.

will the Wilfs, as lifetime businessmen and not intrinsic football people, also see it that way? we shall see....

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not surprising after I saw that the Bears made him as a finalist as well this AM.  We'll have to see how the conversations go, but I'd still like to think the stability of the Vikings' organization is going to make that job more attractive to him than the Bears.  

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Will be interesting to see come Tuesday. Bears only have meetings with coaches after the Poles interview. We will see if he even leaves the Building. 

one thing the bears having going for them? Justin Fields. 

Some may not see that as positively as others. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Pederson is a super bowl winning head coach. How he has the lowest floor compared to someone like Hackett, I just don’t understand. It’s not like Pederson rode the coattails of an elite QB to win a super bowl either. Could he repeat and be a super bowl winning head coach for a second organization? Don’t know why he couldn’t, personality fit is probably the biggest concern. But to say he has the lowest floor despite having the best track record in the playoffs despite still being a young HC (not by age but experience), I struggle to follow that logic. 

Thats my fault, i meant highest floor. My bad.

50 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Some may not see that as positively as others. 

38 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Is that a positive? 

I guess it’s how the guy thought of him coming out. We have seen tons of improvements with QB’s after their first year with the right staff. Hell look at Allen.

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

Yeah The Bears and Jags jobs are far better potential due to their QB's IMO.

but you have to also take in to account the team ownership. Bears....? avoid, please. Jags...? not as stable as the Wilfs.

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

I think I want the more analytics rout. I think that could be a better indicator of future success.

betting on a future technique as opposed to the standard technique over the ages. which is better, which will bear better results...? hard to say.