A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He was promoted to take care and try to improve Tua. I’m just seeing the team try and take a little more of an analytical approach here. Flores has to have it his way. He may not even get a head coaching gig this year.

Maybe, but you were on pace to make a playoff run, and you bench the better player for development? Where is the analytical thinking and strategy to back that argument?

Tua was, and is, sunk cost. His development and value, should have no baring on replacing Fitz. His value has severely depreciated if anything.

Its 100% bad business. It cascades into futuer decisions, and creates a bad precedent.

It takes courage to go against your boss's wishes, and will probably get you fired. They fired him. But he did what he thought was the best path to success. I'm for that. Everyone complains about the scheme and changing it up. Flores executes at that level.

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not sure why you’d just assume Quinn would be a failure. Or even Bowles. I’m not thrilled with the idea of Bowles, but that’s because I just see him as an extension of Zimmer. But there’s no denying he’s a very good coach. 

Because Quinn was a failure of a coach as recently as last year. I know you remember that, right? In fact, his last three years as coach were all terrible, where is best record was 7-9 over the course of those three years, including 0-5 when he got fired. What could he have learned in a year to make him better? Especially since the coach he is working for now also sucks. His only really successful year was when he had Shanahan as his OC, but even then he had the biggest choke job in the history of the Super Bowl.

IMO, Quinn's success as a DC comes with the talent he has had. In Seattle, he had the Legion of Boom. Enough said with that. In Dallas, he has some incredible young pieces including Parsons, Diggs, Lawrence, and Gregory.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

I don’t know all of the details as to why Quinn didn’t last in Atlanta. But things didn’t get better with his exit, either. So, it’s hard for me to jump right to him as a reason for a poor record. 

What I do know is that Quinn is a highly respected coach in the NFL, and players like and respect him. And of the candidates, he may have the best staff coming with him. 

You mention the players in Seattle and Dallas as if completely writing off the fact that he likely had a very large hand in their success.

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

That makes sense with Moore. He's just not ready, or maybe he just doesn't have the personality and demeanor to be a head coach.

I’m relieved. I’m guessing Dallas wants him long term. I just don’t see what the appeal is with Moore. Because he’s young? Sounds desperate to align with the new trend. I mean Dallas has been nothing but a disappointment. He’s either being held back by inferior bosses like McCarthy or Garrett or part of the issue. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t know all of the details as to why Quinn didn’t last in Atlanta. But things didn’t get better with his exit, either. So, it’s hard for me to jump right to him as a reason for a poor record. 

What I do know is that Quinn is a highly respected coach in the NFL, and players like and respect him. And of the candidates, he may have the best staff coming with him. 

You mention the players in Seattle and Dallas as if completely writing off the fact that he likely had a very large hand in their success.

Here is how his defenses faired in Atlanta:

2016: 25th in yards, 27th in points allowed.

2017: 9th in yards allowed, 8 in points allowed (this was a very good year)

2018: 28th in yards allowed, 25th in points allowed.

2019: 20th in yards, 23rd in points.

2020: 29th in yards, 19th in points.

Did he have a hand in Atlanta's defensive players' success? No, because there was no defensive success in Atlanta while he was there, outside of one year. He has been lucky with the talent he has had, that hides his faults as a coach.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 1

Figured Quinn’s defense having an epic collapse in the super bowl would disqualify him from being a serious head coach candidate again. I just don’t get the argument for him other than people like him. So what. If that’s the case, we should have just kept Leslie Frazier employed this entire time. I get the need to hire a leader and someone players will like and respect, but why is there so little conversation around proven success with these coaches? Seems like we’re justifying hiring retreads because they are nice and respected people. I don’t want to hire a jackass either, but at some point winning has to be a top consideration. If you don’t have a winning track record, move on. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Figured Quinn’s defense having an epic collapse in the super bowl would disqualify him from being a serious head coach candidate again. I just don’t get the argument for him other than people like him. So what. If that’s the case, we should have just kept Leslie Frazier employed this entire time. I get the need to hire a leader and someone players will like and respect, but why is there so little conversation around proven success with these coaches? Seems like we’re justifying hiring retreads because they are nice and respected people. I don’t want to hire a jackass either, but at some point winning has to be a top consideration. If you don’t have a winning track record, move on. 

I think Bellicheck indicates you can learn from failure....you just have to pick someone that does (see also Daniel Carlson...). I don't think we have any idea how most of these candidates will really do...

that said, I'm not a Quinn fan. Give me a new voice, please. Someone young players can respect and who will respect them, as I think a rebuild is coming....