A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

27 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Players actually like him?

He's a better leader of people than Childress ever was.  But, I still have questions about whether his personality is any better of a fit as a HC, because I think he suffers a lot from what both Childress and ZImmer did, a narrowness of viewpoint instead of being able to see the big picture.  But, that's only a perception that I have...I could be wrong.  

• Like 1

Vikings owners, who met with the player leadership council after the firings, have been listening [to players' wanting a new attitude from the coaching staff].

Mark Wilf: “We want strong leaders. We want people that communicate and collaborate around the building, and from that we’re going to get the right minds, the right offensive minds, the right defensive minds, the right scouting, That’s the spirit we’re doing this in, and that’s our first criteria.”

Eric Kendricks:  “It’s going to be a new team next year full of new people, and some things maybe stay the same, some things maybe consistent. But it’s a new mindset. We've got to have a different strategy this next year in order to have different results. We've got to be on the same page. We've all got to step up, and we've all got look in the mirror.”

https://www.ballysports.com/north/news/culture-change-coming-to-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwAR1IN9ShstGPJu_qQaoTOlxZxjz-6SJDwBfSdjZyxHN1zJaotO8FyUUsFmI

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

This is my favorite GM candidate (and falls into the rising star/off the beaten path/non-recycled name)

Cleveland Browns vice president of football operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah

Kwesi Adofo-Mensah is currently the vice president of football operations with the Cleveland Browns. Prior to serving in this role, he was with the San Francisco 49ers as their director of football research and development. He also spent time with the team as their manager for research and development. While in San Francisco, Adofo-Mensah worked to implement analytical methods for in-game strategy and player evaluation.

Before his football career, Adofo-Mensah was a derivatives trader with Credit Suisse, trading energy commodities. He graduated from Princeton with a Bachelor’s degree in economics, and obtained a Master’s degree in economic from Stanford.

very interesting....

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Bieniemy actually played football, Childress did not...

Bieniemy had prior experience and communications with the Viking organization, media, and fanbase....

Childress played football at Illinois based on what I can find.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

He's a better leader of people than Childress ever was.  But, I still have questions about whether his personality is any better of a fit as a HC, because I think he suffers a lot from what both Childress and ZImmer did, a narrowness of viewpoint instead of being able to see the big picture.  But, that's only a perception that I have...I could be wrong.  

This is what I was getting at a little bit.  Bieniemy has the reputation of being similar in that regard to Chilly and Zim.

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I feel like we are going to go to far in getting the anti Zimmer because everyone wants a buddy

I don't think that's the case, I think most people just want a middle ground.

Coach them hard, love them after.  If there's no relationship between a player and coach it's hard for the coach to demand much of them, or hold a player accountable through any means other than fines and lack of playing time.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Coach them hard, love them after.

Players want to feel like they are being heard. They want to be coached, they want to be taught, but they don’t want to be ignored. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

I'm going to need a source on that 🤣

McNabb was very high on Childress, a number of Eagles players also had good things to say. And don’t forget that Childress was the biggest reason why Favre came to Minnesota. 

A lot of people have written pieces about how Childress changed once he became a head coach. Never under estimate how authority can change someone. And that seemed to have been Childress’ issue. 

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Coach them hard, love them after.  If there's no relationship between a player and coach it's hard for the coach to demand much of them, or hold a player accountable through any means other than fines and lack of playing time.

I feel like Zimmer that was more how Zimmer was early on. It just seems like every time we switch coaches we go for the opposite personality 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

McNabb was very high on Childress, a number of Eagles players also had good things to say. And don’t forget that Childress was the biggest reason why Favre came to Minnesota. 

A lot of people have written pieces about how Childress changed once he became a head coach. Never under estimate how authority can change someone. And that seemed to have been Childress’ issue. 

Wasn't Childress also brought in to bring more discipline?