Raiders Offense

MrOaktown_56

On 4/22/2022 at 4:49 PM, Jerry said:

We have like 15M in cap space opening up on the 1st of June.  I would hope Waller is paid and stays for another 2-3 years.

so Waller is turning 30, I would hope we keep him until he's 34-35. Wouldn't mind a 4-5 year deal, he's been the face of the franchise. 

so the

4 core on offense: DC, Adams, Waller, Miller locked up

4 core on defense: Maxx, Chandler, Deablo, Moehrig- hopefully some of the corners and Deablo/Moehrig step up this year. I know Moehrig was a solid rookie, but I think he has the ceiling to be one of the best in the league 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

so Waller is turning 30, I would hope we keep him until he's 34-35. Wouldn't mind a 4-5 year deal, he's been the face of the franchise. 

so the

4 core on offense: DC, Adams, Waller, Miller locked up

4 core on defense: Maxx, Chandler, Deablo, Moehrig- hopefully some of the corners and Deablo/Moehrig step up this year. I know Moehrig was a solid rookie, but I think he has the ceiling to be one of the best in the league 

Just wanted to touch on this again.  I don't understand why we are determined to resign Moreau when DC and Moreau's chemistry this past season wasn't there at all.  When Waller went down DC and Moreau could not get on the same pages to save their lives.  

37 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Just wanted to touch on this again.  I don't understand why we are determined to resign Moreau when DC and Moreau's chemistry this past season wasn't there at all.  When Waller went down DC and Moreau could not get on the same pages to save their lives.  

this is how I would deal with contracts post draft/June 1st 

• Give Waller an extension in early June. He's been one of the face of the franchise and is an elite playmaker
  • Pickup Jacobs 5 year option- I think he has a very good year if he stays healthy 
  • Decline Abram, Ferrell 5th year options. Make them earn that 2nd contract/ make or break year 
  • Let Moreau and Mullen contract expire- easy choice, see how he does with a new coach. Isn't a must sign guy. Mullen, see who steps up at corner this year 
  • I actually would let Hunter Renfrow contract play out. His stock will never be higher, so he will never be as expensive. Unless he takes a crazy team friendly deal. 
Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

this is how I would deal with contracts post draft/June 1st 

• Give Waller an extension in early June. He's been one of the face of the franchise and is an elite playmaker
  • Pickup Jacobs 5 year option- I think he has a very good year if he stays healthy 
  • Decline Abram, Ferrell 5th year options. Make them earn that 2nd contract/ make or break year 
  • Let Moreau and Mullen contract expire- easy choice, see how he does with a new coach. Isn't a must sign guy. Mullen, see who steps up at corner this year 
  • I actually would let Hunter Renfrow contract play out. His stock will never be higher, so he will never be as expensive. Unless he takes a crazy team friendly deal. 

Completely agree with you here.  IMO, Mullen and Moreau are replaceable.  

• 4 weeks later...

Mike Tice thoughts on the Raiders offensive line and it’s players. 

LG John Simpson

Watching Simpson, he was all over the place with this technique, footwork and hand placement. To put it nicely, Tice was not a fan of Simpson and there was just way too many negative plays in the games that we watched. He should be replaced by Denzelle Good, who tore his ACL last season.

Center Andre James

James came into the league as a tackle but moved to center in 2019. Before last season, he only started one game, filling in for former starter Rodney Hudson in 2019. He was being developed in practice to eventually take over since then. Last offseason, the Raiders traded Hudson to the Cardinals and showed their faith in James with a three-year extension. However, James struggled out of the gate. He played better as the season progressed but even in the wild-card game against the Bengals, his performance left a lot to be desired.

“Center is a problem. He just spreads his feet and he just hops around,” Tice said. “He needs really good technique if he’s going to be that small.”

James is a taller, lighter center at 6-4, 300 pounds. He has to come off the ball with some authority but too often he just hops and spreads his feet too wide and is unable to fire off. On this play, his first few steps are hop steps. He can’t strike with force out of this position.

RT Brandon Parker

Parker was inserted into the starting lineup after Week 4 because 2021 first-round pick Alex Leatherwood was struggling outside. Parker was a third-round pick in 2018. He’s mostly struggled in his starts but had a couple of well-played games in 2020. Last season, he was an upgrade over Leatherwood but still allowed eight sacks in 13 starts.

“There’s a lot worse than 75 in the league,” Tice said. “I can tell you that right now.”

Tice suggests that Parker is in the below-average to average starter range. His length and athletic ability show up on film but some of the same technical problems pop up over and over again — he stacks his feet on his pass set and keeps his hands too low.

Overall, Tice seemed to think that Parker has some ability but is concerned that the same technical issues kept showing up– one of them is needing to be more violent with his hands. For a player that was in his fourth year, he should have cleaner fundamentals. Is he just not coachable? Raiders offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo will soon find out.

OL Alex Leatherwood

“I’m a fan of his” was a phrase Tice repeated about Leatherwood throughout our film sessions. In his final two games at guard, there was more good than bad. Tice liked his body angles, ability to bend, violence and competitive nature. He made some big strides at guard, particularly as a run blocker, but the question is: Can he kick back out to right tackle where he was drafted to play?

Though Leatherwood was one of the worst starting tackles in the league before being benched, some context is needed. In the four games he started there, he faced off against Bosa and T.J. Watt and he had to face the Ravens and Dolphins, two of the most blitz-heavy teams in the league. There seemed to be a bit of a snowball effect with the challenges he faced and it resulted in his benching after Week 4.

Against an elite rusher, if you turn toward the sideline, they are going to take the inside lane. That is exactly what Bosa did. He spun inside and Leatherwood had to hold him with his inside arm. Luckily for him, Carr got rid of the ball and no flag was thrown. Though it did look like Leatherwood progressively got sloppier with his technique as the game progressed, Tice noted that he thought that Leatherwood wasn’t afraid and kept battling.

“You’re not going to have to worry about 70. Can he move back outside? Maybe. But he’s going to be OK,” Tice said.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

LG John Simpson

Watching Simpson, he was all over the place with this technique, footwork and hand placement. To put it nicely, Tice was not a fan of Simpson and there was just way too many negative plays in the games that we watched. He should be replaced by Denzelle Good, who tore his ACL last season.

Center Andre James

James came into the league as a tackle but moved to center in 2019. Before last season, he only started one game, filling in for former starter Rodney Hudson in 2019. He was being developed in practice to eventually take over since then. Last offseason, the Raiders traded Hudson to the Cardinals and showed their faith in James with a three-year extension. However, James struggled out of the gate. He played better as the season progressed but even in the wild-card game against the Bengals, his performance left a lot to be desired.

“Center is a problem. He just spreads his feet and he just hops around,” Tice said. “He needs really good technique if he’s going to be that small.”

James is a taller, lighter center at 6-4, 300 pounds. He has to come off the ball with some authority but too often he just hops and spreads his feet too wide and is unable to fire off. On this play, his first few steps are hop steps. He can’t strike with force out of this position.

RT Brandon Parker

Parker was inserted into the starting lineup after Week 4 because 2021 first-round pick Alex Leatherwood was struggling outside. Parker was a third-round pick in 2018. He’s mostly struggled in his starts but had a couple of well-played games in 2020. Last season, he was an upgrade over Leatherwood but still allowed eight sacks in 13 starts.

“There’s a lot worse than 75 in the league,” Tice said. “I can tell you that right now.”

Tice suggests that Parker is in the below-average to average starter range. His length and athletic ability show up on film but some of the same technical problems pop up over and over again — he stacks his feet on his pass set and keeps his hands too low.

Overall, Tice seemed to think that Parker has some ability but is concerned that the same technical issues kept showing up– one of them is needing to be more violent with his hands. For a player that was in his fourth year, he should have cleaner fundamentals. Is he just not coachable? Raiders offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo will soon find out.

OL Alex Leatherwood

“I’m a fan of his” was a phrase Tice repeated about Leatherwood throughout our film sessions. In his final two games at guard, there was more good than bad. Tice liked his body angles, ability to bend, violence and competitive nature. He made some big strides at guard, particularly as a run blocker, but the question is: Can he kick back out to right tackle where he was drafted to play?

Though Leatherwood was one of the worst starting tackles in the league before being benched, some context is needed. In the four games he started there, he faced off against Bosa and T.J. Watt and he had to face the Ravens and Dolphins, two of the most blitz-heavy teams in the league. There seemed to be a bit of a snowball effect with the challenges he faced and it resulted in his benching after Week 4.

Against an elite rusher, if you turn toward the sideline, they are going to take the inside lane. That is exactly what Bosa did. He spun inside and Leatherwood had to hold him with his inside arm. Luckily for him, Carr got rid of the ball and no flag was thrown. Though it did look like Leatherwood progressively got sloppier with his technique as the game progressed, Tice noted that he thought that Leatherwood wasn’t afraid and kept battling.

“You’re not going to have to worry about 70. Can he move back outside? Maybe. But he’s going to be OK,” Tice said.

where did you get this information/? 

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Teds article that came out a couple days ago 

nice, I think Good is going start at LG. I feel like I'm the only guy concerned he is coming off a major injury and over 30. Could see another season of Simpson. Which is why I wish we would sign Erek Flowers

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

RT Brandon Parker

Seeing a theme here that the Cable linemen have technical issues that should have been addressed.  I really hate Cable.  Hopefully better coaching can let the talent shine.  

As for Tice I wonder which couple games he thought Parker looked good in.  Could it possibly the games Miller was hurt and Parker was playing LT which just happened to be his two best games of his career?

• Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 8:00 AM, agarcia34 said:

Teds article that came out a couple days ago 

It just struck me that if the article just came out why does he have to reference games from 2020 when talking about Parker having good games?  He had 13 starts at RT in 2021 and only 4 total starts in 2020.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, agarcia34 said:

Center Andre James

Saw someone talking about Parham getting reps at center and potentially starting over James, can't find it right now though. Ideally Leatherwood can move back out to RT, I think he has the ability too.

Miller - Good - Parham - Elumenor - Leatherwood

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Saw someone talking about Parham getting reps at center and potentially starting over James, can't find it right now though. Ideally Leatherwood can move back out to RT, I think he has the ability too.

Miller - Good - Parham - Elumenor - Leatherwood

I saw it as well. Wouldn’t be mad. Still a chance they sign someone else too. 

2 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

I saw it as well. Wouldn’t be mad. Still a chance they sign someone else too. 

Our OL is honestly the hardest group to project, I think the only guy that's definitely locked into a starting job is Kolton Miller at LT.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our OL is honestly the hardest group to project, I think the only guy that's definitely locked into a starting job is Kolton Miller at LT.

I have to agree. I think they are hoping for some cream to rise to the top over camp. I like it but I’d love one vet addition also. 

3 hours ago, FloydFan said:

I have to agree. I think they are hoping for some cream to rise to the top over camp. I like it but I’d love one vet addition also. 

Yeah one thing that I like about our group is that most of the guys we have can play multiple spots, Daryl Williams would still make sense as a late addition. It's just difficult to fix so many holes in one offseason. Hopefully Parham/Leatherwood pan out so we have three good young OL and can add the final pieces next offseason.

• Like 2