Looking Ahead to Week 11

onejayhawk

Week 10 is our bye. It would have been nice about a month ago, in the middle of that deathmarch early schedule. After the bye we get one genuinely bad team, NYG, two mediocre teams, NYJ and Miami,  all three of our division, and Buffalo. That's 10-30 so far. Only two defenses, Denver (#2) and Buffalo (#10) are in the upper half of the league. Four are in the bottom 10. Only Oakland's offense is top 10, and five of the seven are bottom half.

All this is preface to the possibility that we may do fairly major work on the lineup and schemes over the break. Our long term injury losses can be dealt with more systematically. Roles and assignments can be revised. On top of that, we are near certain to hit the Giants healthier than we are. It's a good time to do some fairly major work.

What do you think?

J

They also need to find a coverage design that does not include Berry. ILB has been a long term issue. Two weeks may let them integrate Ragland more fully. He is definitely the run stuffing type. Also, special K may have some impact in big packages. LB that weight 270+ are rare.

J

On 11/3/2017 at 11:24 AM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Simple explaining that even I get.

Sutton's use of 2 and 3 man fronts is galling to me. Like the Author states, there's too much beef attacking us at the LOS and it's little wonder that RB's rip off chunks of yardage. When Sutton used 4 man fronts recently, we slowed down the run game and put pressure on the QB (Oakland, 2nd.half). Then Sutton gets a brain cramp and reverts back to a 2,3 man line. Of course we get pummeled. It really is basic math on the LOS.

In 2014 I did some research that December that showed teams with a 4-3 defense were able to stop the run better than 3-4 teams. I also discovered that the 4-3 teams held 8 of the top 13 pass defenses (and 6 of top 10). I've cut alot of corners in explaining what I discovered. Suffice it to say post-season saw Seattle play NE, both 4-3 defense teams.

Like the author states, Sutton deploys his offense to stop the pass 1st. So he loads up with DB's and shorts the Dine. But a 4-3 defense can stop the run without sacrificing pass defense. Conclusion, Mr. Sutton, fix the math at the LOS and deploy more 4 man fronts.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

4-3 and 4 man fronts are different. We do run 4 man fronts. 

C'mon man. Nobody stays in ANY base defense anymore for a whole game (let alone 3 downs in one series). KC needs to run 4 big DL's more often than they do. Call it what you want. We gotta plug more gaps and eliminate some double team blocking.

And what do you call Bob's stupid 3-1-7 (or i've seen a 3-8 if my eyes weren't crossed)? It invites a "terrorist" RB truck attack that's what.

It isn't a 4-3 vs. 3-4 problem. If we converted to a 4-3 it wouldn't actually change our personnel that much (we'd be moving Hali/Kpass/Houston/Ford all to DE in order to run a proper 4-3.) So it'd be the same people out there just with a slightly different alignment and name.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

It isn't a 4-3 vs. 3-4 problem. If we converted to a 4-3 it wouldn't actually change our personnel that much (we'd be moving Hali/Kpass/Houston/Ford all to DE in order to run a proper 4-3.) So it'd be the same people out there just with a slightly different alignment and name.

And that's a problem too. Houston isn't a DE. Kpass is. Ford isn't a DE. Hali isn't a DE. Only Kpass has the requisite weight to pull it off.

Hali is quite a good DE. He He was drafted as a DE and started in the 4-3. When we converted there was a concern that he could not play two point. Houston, in contrast, is a LB in the Von Miller mode. He would be fine as a 4-3 Sam. Ford is more a rush package player in 4-3. We never seem to employ a rush package.

J

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Hali is quite a good DE. He He was drafted as a DE and started in the 4-3.

That was a long time ago. Hali is too old and without knees now. No,he's not a DE.

CJ, RNR, Bailey and Jenkins are our listed DE's. I'd use Kpass there too. With Logan and Miller, there's material to deploy 4 man fronts more consistently than we are. The idea is simple. The math is simple. Stop the run at the LOS and then let the DB's do their thing.

Andy Reid and Bob Sutton have had years to work on getting their defense right. Instead guys are old and getting older. Injuries happen but where's the capable backups? Spent on building the offense? Where is the "change-of-pace" that's needed to combat an offense throughout a game, Mr. Sutton?

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

That was a long time ago. Hali is too old and without knees now. No,he's not a DE.

CJ, RNR, Bailey and Jenkins are our listed DE's. I'd use Kpass there too. With Logan and Miller, there's material to deploy 4 man fronts more consistently than we are. The idea is simple. The math is simple. Stop the run at the LOS and then let the DB's do their thing.

Andy Reid and Bob Sutton have had years to work on getting their defense right. Instead guys are old and getting older. Injuries happen but where's the capable backups? Spent on building the offense? Where is the "change-of-pace" that's needed to combat an offense throughout a game, Mr. Sutton?

Except our 3-4 listed DE don't exactly translate to a 4-3 DE

4 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:
6 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Except our 3-4 listed DE don't exactly translate to a 4-3 DE

Maybe in a perfect world, but that's what we're stuck with isn't it? And doesn't that go a long way to explaining why I had to ask my last question. Where is the "change-of-pace" that's needed to combat an offense throughout a game, Mr. Sutton?

Archived