3 mocks, 3 philosophies

warfelg

Yea I know we're about to be in the playoffs, but I wanted to do something different with a mock scenario: (1) What if Colbert runs the draft like he historically does, (2) What if Colbert runs the draft to set up the next GM, (3) What if we went completely outside our shell as a team in draft approach. [All draft done via PFN, which I've found to be fair and accurate to needs and big board]

WHAT IF THE DRAFT IS RUN AS NORMAL:

1-20 - Tyler Linderbaum C Iowa

2-52 - Jahan Dotson WR PSU

3-84 - Travis Jones NT UConn

3-97 - Rasheed Walker OT PSU

5-177 - Shaun Jolly CB Appalachian State

6-191 - Tyreke Smith EDGE OSU

7-224 - DaShaun White LB Oklahoma

7-240 - Jaydon Grant CB Oregon State

All in all this is a very safe draft.  Beef on the OL.  Beef at NT.  Speed on the outside at WR.  Filling out depth at spots where we are going to be missing something.  A very typical Steelers draft with catching a falling prospect, a big program player, and a small school gem.

WHAT IF COLBERT WERE TO RUN A "SET UP" DRAFT:

I'm looking at this as running it as the way Ozzie Newsome ran his last draft.  So there will be some twists compared to above.

1-20 - Trevor Penning OT Northern Iowa

TRADE: 52, 97, 2023 3rd to NYJ for 35

2-35 - Malik Willis QB Liberty

TRADE: 84, 2023 6th to LAR for 100, 141, 2023 4th

3-100 - Jalen Pitre S Baylor

4-141 - Calvin Austin III WR Memphis

5-177 - Leo Chenal LB Wisconsin

6-191 - Nick Broeker OL Mississippi

7-224 - DJ Dale NT Alabama

7-240 - Peyton Hendershot TE Indiana

This draft is getting a LT of the future, QB of the future, and speed in the first 4 rounds.  Pitre is a Hilton clone of a smaller box guy who can blitz, play the run, and cover.  Austin is a true lid lifting WR.  And in the end of trades, we basically move down a round in 2023 to get a QB, so at the end we "break even" on our picks.

WHAT IF WE GO COMPLETELY OFF THE RESERVATION:

This is what if we really go out there and Colbert in his last draft just decides, screw it, I'm gonna move down and get players while stocking a great depth of picks for the next GM to continue to allow them to shape the team in their image.

TRADE: 20 to DET for 27, 2023 2nd

TRADE: 27 to CHI for 39, 2023 2nd, 2023 4th

2-39 - Nicholas Petit-Frere OT OSU

2-52 - Jahan Dotson WR PSU

3-84 - Devonte Wyatt DT Georgia

3-97 - Brian Asamoah II LB Oklahoma

5-177 - Josh Jobe CB Alabama

6-191 - Jojo Domann LB Nebraska

7-224 - Aqeel Glass QB Alabama A&M

7-240 - Justin Eboigbe EDGE Alabama

In a draft that's pretty level from 1-15 to 3-5 (IMO) in terms of talent, just a matter of position and preference so why not get some picks for moving down and seeing what's there.  Having 3 2nds in the next draft and 2 4ths could give the next GM ammo to move up in the draft if they choose to.  It's picks to use for a player trade if they choose to.  Or it's just more picks to use to restock the roster with high talent.

• Like 1

Draft #1)

• I think Steeler fans would be disappointed with Linderbaum.  He would have the same issues as Green in anchoring and moving big DTs.
  • Other than that, i like the players.

Draft#2

• Penning is a RT in the NFL
  • Not sure about Willis
  • Like the Trade
  • Chenal  would be OLB backup ( unless you are thinking of him as a thumper).

Draft#3

• I end up liking most of the players here with the exception of Glass.
  • Asamoah is a great pick there.
  • Petit-Frere is a decent 2nd tier LT project
  • Dotson adds speed to the WR
  • Wyatt adds some beef and strength inside the DL.

Love the first draft... really beefed up both lines.. love Travis Jones. Love getting the center ...move green to guard and Dotson to his original OG position. 

Also like draft 2 with the OT and Malik...I don't want another TE. 

Trading does intrigues me... Like jojo's motor and skill set. 

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Easily #2 for me. I don't know the OT but Willis, Austin III, Pitre (positionless), Hendershot would be studs for the Steelers. Chenal is a FB/LB who I haven't delved into. Dale is a trench warrior and one of the better lesser known DL in this draft class.

Pitre is a guy in this latest round of looking surprised me.  I think he's gonna be a guy that goes sooner than anyone expects.  Leo Chenal = Vince Williams as I watched tape. Not super athletic but just at the ball every time.  I'm still iffy on Willis, but I could see Colbert doing something like that to try to give an Ozzie Newsome like parting gift.

Honestly while I see many people are preferring one over another, but this isn't supposed to be a pick one.  More so a couple different directions they could go.  Honestly I can see them just doing business as usual and not do any type of movement.  

Despite what Colbert does in terms of retirement or not, I don't see the Steelers deviating much from their usual MO. The wildcard here is that the Steelers for the 1st time in 18 years might legitimately be looking for QB1 in this draft. I've read reports that Colbert has scouted Howell several times this past season. I hope they don't take him in round 1, but round 2 is a distinct possibility. Of course, a lot will depend on what happens in free agency.

My hope this year is that the Steelers trade down out of 20. In several mock scenarios, other teams are offering 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks for #20 plus some other pick like #177. I think the last time the Steelers traded down was for Big Snack. That worked out pretty good.

Problem is, who will be on the board at #20? Right now with PFN, I am seeing the QBs not being drafted except Corral. My guess is by the time the draft rolls around, at least three will be gone by 20. Teams reach for QB, they just do. Lions, Giants, Panthers, Falcons, Broncos, WFT, Saints are all possible to take a QB. A case could be made for Philly too. 

Anyway, I take the following guys if we're staying put at #20:

20. Tyler Linderbaum, OC, Iowa
52. Jordan Battle, S, Alabama
84. Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
97. John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
177. Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan
191. Jesse Luketa, LB, Penn State
224. B.J. Foster, CB, Texas
240. Matt Waletzko, OT, North Dakota

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like Metchie, but only around in this area of the draft. He's not a natural hands catcher and that worries me. That isn't an immediate death sentence(I think JuJu was a body catcher at USC too), but it's not ideal. 

Metchie is an excellent catcher of the football. DJ is the best hands catcher on our team but nothing is wrong with cradle catching. Claypool drops balls because he can't get his hands in the right position. If he uses his body, his catch percentage would be way higher. Metchie is an excellent run after catch guy because he has good hands.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like Metchie, but only around in this area of the draft. He's not a natural hands catcher and that worries me. That isn't an immediate death sentence(I think JuJu was a body catcher at USC too), but it's not ideal. 

I was torn about taking a WR sooner, but I think JuJu comes back. So I am looking at replacing Washington. There were a few other WRs out there, but I think Metchie is a good fit for the Steelers.

• Like 1

@jebrick and @warfelg

I am a fan of Tyler Linderbaum. He is a more natural C, than Kendrick Green is and he has the body/physique to add some bulk, weight, and strength. I think he has a mean streak as well.  That can never hurt at OL. He is not going to be a day one all pro at C, but neither were Mike Webster, Dirt Dawson, or Marquise Pouncey. 

I will continue to say that today's NFL expects young men to come in and be experienced men from day one. In some cases and positions, the young men can compete with the big dawgs, but typically it takes time for these guys to develop, grow and mature. Sometimes they even take a step back before going forward again. 

While Linderbaum doesn't have the size of  Landon Dickerson who is actually a converted OT or the natural girth of Quinn Meinerz (whom I pounded the table for the Steelers to draft in round three last year), I think this kid has the OC pedigree to be a very good pro. I would say a higher ceiling at C than Green, who could be a very good pro RG for the Steelers with his talents and style.

I think that we were all in favor of the Steelers getting more of a phone booth mauler/people mover than a fleet of foot mover and great body control shaker.  This year's draft doesn't seem to have as many natural big bodies at the center position with the game ready/top end talent that the Steelers need. 

I think that this draft/free agency needs to ensure the Steelers are stronger and tougher inside and in the middle of their OL and DL. Kendrick Green will learn from this year, but he may be a much better RG than OC. Kevin Dotson will be back and hopefully fully healthy. Dan Moore will hopefully continue to improve and not have a sophomore set-back or slump. RT is a huge concern as we know what we get with Chuks, they won't put Zach Banner on the field and the rest of the OT's are journeyman types at best and not starters to build upon. 

If you get a shot at the best OC, or RT and if they are the BPA, I would have to say that we draft one. 

#1 Pouncey was a day 1 starter

If you are drafting Linderbaum in the 1st round, he had better be a day 1 starter.  If the Steelers bail on Green one season after drafting him I would be stunned.  They need so much help on the oline.  Linderbaum is a smallish C. Green out weighs him by 15-25 lbs.  Linderbaum needs to be in a zone blocking offense.  He will suck at a power running offense.

Why do you think Green will be better at OG?  Do you think he does not have the mental capability to call protection schemes?  Greens biggest problem is that he was forced to start when he would have been much much better off taking a year to learn the position and get stronger.

What they really need is a single decision on the running game.  Green Chuks and Moore work out better in a zone blocking scheme.  Dotson is a power blocker with limited movement for zone blocking.   Turner is a power blocker.  None of them are transcendent olinemen that can do both.  Pick a scheme.  Draft some players.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

#1 Pouncey was a day 1 starter

@jebrick Very true about starting, but I meant playing at an elite or all pro level.

If you are drafting Linderbaum in the 1st round, he had better be a day 1 starter. 

I think he could be, but again his best football would still be ahead of him. I think he will get bigger/stronger.

If the Steelers bail on Green one season after drafting him I would be stunned. 

Not suggesting they bail on Green, but play him at his more natural position OG.

They need so much help on the oline.  Linderbaum is a smallish C. Green out weighs him by 15-25 lbs.  Linderbaum needs to be in a zone blocking offense.  He will suck at a power running offense.

No doubt the size/weight is a factor, but I am looking well beyond year one or two.

Why do you think Green will be better at OG? 

He has played more guard and is built and his style suits what the Steelers do better than at C. He is not a pure mauler, but he can move, he is strong, and would probably be more comfortable playing OG. 

Do you think he does not have the mental capability to call protection schemes? 

Not be at all. I like Green, but as you said he was thrown into the fire too soon. I just think he is better suited for OG. I thought that about Pouncey as well.

Greens biggest problem is that he was forced to start when he would have been much much better off taking a year to learn the position and get stronger.

Do you believe he will be better in 2022, the same or worse?

What they really need is a single decision on the running game.  Green Chuks and Moore work out better in a zone blocking scheme.  Dotson is a power blocker with limited movement for zone blocking.   Turner is a power blocker. 

I don't think Turner is back next year. 

None of them are transcendent olinemen that can do both.  Pick a scheme.  Draft some players.

I agree with you. I would prefer the mean  mauling style of OL's. I think they need to go in that direction. That said Linderbaum is not an ideal mauler, but I don't think he would be in a liability either. I see him getting bigger and stronger. He is a more natural C than Green.