Colts staff interview requests

Wyld Stallyns

- Jaguars and Bears requested an interview with DC Matt Eberflus for their Head Coaching positions 

- Bears requested an interview with Asst GM Ed Dodds for their GM position 

- Panthers requested an interview with WR coach Mike Groh for their OC position 

- Panthers requested an interview with RB coach Scottie Montgomery for their OC position 

38 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Tell me about Dodds plz.

He was an intern with the Raiders from 2003-06, then went to Seattle (2007-16) where he rose up the ranks from college scout, to national scout, to Senior Personnel Executive. He joined the Colts in 2017 as Vice President of Player Personnel and elevated to Asst GM in 2018.

I’ve heard some people suggest that he doesn’t necessarily want to be a GM but I’ve also heard people say that he would only do it if it is the right job.

You should go check out the Colts YouTube page and watch all the “With the next pick” series from over the years. He is somewhat featured in that series. 

• Like 3

On 1/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

He was an intern with the Raiders from 2003-06, then went to Seattle (2007-16) where he rose up the ranks from college scout, to national scout, to Senior Personnel Executive. He joined the Colts in 2017 as Vice President of Player Personnel and elevated to Asst GM in 2018.

I’ve heard some people suggest that he doesn’t necessarily want to be a GM but I’ve also heard people say that he would only do it if it is the right job.

You should go check out the Colts YouTube page and watch all the “With the next pick” series from over the years. He is somewhat featured in that series. 

Thanks for the info! What do you guys think of him as a potential GM? I wonder how much involvement he's had in helping you build your team.

23 hours ago, TheRustonRifle said:

I certainly hope so, as Flus seems to be gone.  Now, I am not complaining, as I hate that style of defense.  Whomever his "possible" replacement is hopefully wants to play more press coverage and blitzes more.

Ballard is going to want to stick with some form of 4-3 defense (no dome team ever won a Super Bowl with a 3-4). Under Dungy we ran a Cover 2 (Tampa 2) where the outside corners pressed (before releasing long routes) but the rest of the defense played zone coverage. Flus ran a version of Cover 2 which was mostly zone coverage.

I’m not sure if that is doable, but if not, we need to upgrade our safety depth to make sure we can cover better. 

15 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Ballard is going to want to stick with some form of 4-3 defense (no dome team ever won a Super Bowl with a 3-4). Under Dungy we ran a Cover 2 (Tampa 2) where the outside corners pressed (before releasing long routes) but the rest of the defense played zone coverage. Flus ran a version of Cover 2 which was mostly zone coverage.

I’m not sure if that is doable, but if not, we need to upgrade our safety depth to make sure we can cover better. 

I would prefer to have an aggressive 4-3, with pressing corners.  Indy’s personnel doesn’t really have the flexibility to go to a 3/4 atm.