2022 Wildcard Play-off's Steelers vs. Chiefs

Steeler Hitman

I take the morning off and we are running out to DJ being a 4 takes? Yikes…

Reflecting on last night, I can I only say I’m just utterly disappointed in our coaching staff (and for the love of god, please realize I’m bucketing talent and coaching for this conversation? Stay in the bucket here, okay?). Top to bottom. We are severely beaten in X’s and O’s before we even get to Sunday. We have now had 23 games between the Ravens, playing us for the second time, getting 6 extra days to destroy our offensive world, and we still believe the only thing that makes it better is to execute better. Keep banging your head against the wall….but do it a little better. 

It was fun to watch a good coaching staff last night pivot away from their strategy. The Chiefs went from trying to avoid TJ at all costs to attacking him and boy did it work. The way they stopped doubling as much and just started using TJ tendencies against him was pretty awesome. My favorite was when they would line Kelce up flexed outside TJ and Watt would rush inside to avoid a chip, allowing Mahomes to roll outside away from pressure….a chip that never came from Kelce, but he never needed to. His presence was enough. 

Mahomes went about his day rolling to TJs side with the inside rushes. Did we counter their counter? Send a corner right into the face of Pat? No. Twist game to have someone responsible for Mahones roll? No. What did we do? Nothing. Why? Because that’s our MO. Just execute better. 

Same reason we think Bostic and Spillane can cover WR1’s continually. Same reason we haven’t changed ANYTHING on offense despite our inability to even score 10. This team believes if you just do your job better, that solves everything. And I’m sorry, but then no one has any clue what the talent level is at the NFL level. This isn’t try hard, do well high school. Everyone one in the league is capable of winning against their opponent, it’s just a matter of how often. The Aaron Donalds of the world don’t give a damn about your execution. 

I never expected to win last night. I didn’t think it would be close. But I actually thought this team would try, and that’s what I’m so disappointed in. We never tried to beat the Chiefs. We played the game we have played all year and hoped that was enough. Regular season? Fine. We would win enough games to make that tolerable. But in a one game elimination against a team that smokes you? At least I want you to try. There’s no difference between you going 3 and out with a 15 yard sack because you tried Vs three and out gaining 2 yards. There’s no difference losing 50-0 after throwing 4 pick 6’s because you tried. 

This coaching staff didn’t try. They didn’t put out enough of an effort to try. And that part is hard to forgive. 

We can talk talent all we want (just not about DJ as a 4, okay?), but this team will never get better until the coaching does first. We need 2 new coordinators from outside the organization and pressure on the top guy to change. 

Im honestly more scared of that quote than I am of what we do at OL and CB this off-season. If he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong in the headsets….nothing is ever going to matter. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I take the morning off and we are running out to DJ being a 4 takes? Yikes…

Reflecting on last night, I can I only say I’m just utterly disappointed in our coaching staff (and for the love of god, please realize I’m bucketing talent and coaching for this conversation? Stay in the bucket here, okay?). Top to bottom. We are severely beaten in X’s and O’s before we even get to Sunday. We have now had 23 games between the Ravens, playing us for the second time, getting 6 extra days to destroy our offensive world, and we still believe the only thing that makes it better is to execute better. Keep banging your head against the wall….but do it a little better. 

It was fun to watch a good coaching staff last night pivot away from their strategy. The Chiefs went from trying to avoid TJ at all costs to attacking him and boy did it work. The way they stopped doubling as much and just started using TJ tendencies against him was pretty awesome. My favorite was when they would line Kelce up flexed outside TJ and Watt would rush inside to avoid a chip, allowing Mahomes to roll outside away from pressure….a chip that never came from Kelce, but he never needed to. His presence was enough. 

Mahomes went about his day rolling to TJs side with the inside rushes. Did we counter their counter? Send a corner right into the face of Pat? No. Twist game to have someone responsible for Mahones roll? No. What did we do? Nothing. Why? Because that’s our MO. Just execute better. 

Same reason we think Bostic and Spillane can cover WR1’s continually. Same reason we haven’t changed ANYTHING on offense despite our inability to even score 10. This team believes if you just do your job better, that solves everything. And I’m sorry, but then no one has any clue what the talent level is at the NFL level. This isn’t try hard, do well high school. Everyone one in the league is capable of winning against their opponent, it’s just a matter of how often. The Aaron Donalds of the world don’t give a damn about your execution. 

I never expected to win last night. I didn’t think it would be close. But I actually thought this team would try, and that’s what I’m so disappointed in. We never tried to beat the Chiefs. We played the game we have played all year and hoped that was enough. Regular season? Fine. We would win enough games to make that tolerable. But in a one game elimination against a team that smokes you? At least I want you to try. There’s no difference between you going 3 and out with a 15 yard sack because you tried Vs three and out gaining 2 yards. There’s no difference losing 50-0 after throwing 4 pick 6’s because you tried. 

This coaching staff didn’t try. They didn’t put out enough of an effort to try. And that part is hard to forgive. 

We can talk talent all we want (just not about DJ as a 4, okay?), but this team will never get better until the coaching does first. We need 2 new coordinators from outside the organization and pressure on the top guy to change. 

Im honestly more scared of that quote than I am of what we do at OL and CB this off-season. If he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong in the headsets….nothing is ever going to matter. 

This...all of this.

5 minutes ago, DR43 said:

What makes you say that?

You honestly expect them to fire an OC after 1 year?(not being a - and not saying he did a good job)

Theyll more than likely add pieces to the offense and see if it was the personnel or the OC after next year.

Anyone know what Canada's contract terms are? I too agree Steelers will retain his services, but I would be less confident on that if his contract expired after this season. I only say that as Steelers have at least in the past 20 years, typically letting someone walk rather than fire them. I just don't see the Steelers breaking the trend.

3 hours ago, AFF said:

You honestly expect them to fire an OC after 1 year?(not being a - and not saying he did a good job)

Theyll more than likely add pieces to the offense and see if it was the personnel or the OC after next year.

He shouldve never been promoted to begin with.

If a coach performed as bad as he did, I would absolutely fire him.    I wouldve fired him before the season ended.     

I dont completely disagree with your comment.   They probably will keep him.   But thats because our front office is utter trash filled with glaring incompetence.   

I have zero faith is anyone currently running this team to right this ship.       In house promotions arent going to change the organizational culture, and thats the biggest issue with the Steelers right now.   

This team needs fresh eyes and minds.   Not much will change until that happens.

Ryan Day or Kyle Shanahan could not have made this offense function.  Horrible Oline. A QB with accuracy issues and a weakening arm who would not allow the pass plays to be changed from BA.  WR who can't get open reliably.

Please let Ben retire and put in a real offense that schemes receivers open.  Spend the money and draft picks to build an Oline.  if they run the same crap plays next year, I would clean house.

Edited by jebrick

7 hours ago, 43M said:

He shouldve never been promoted to begin with.

If a coach performed as bad as he did, I would absolutely fire him.    I wouldve fired him before the season ended.     

I dont completely disagree with your comment.   They probably will keep him.   But thats because our front office is utter trash filled with glaring incompetence.   

I have zero faith is anyone currently running this team to right this ship.       In house promotions arent going to change the organizational culture, and thats the biggest issue with the Steelers right now.   

This team needs fresh eyes and minds.   Not much will change until that happens.

Oh trust me...I don’t want him back, I’m just simply guessing what the Steelers will do.

New blood is desperately needed...I said the same thing when they promoted him last offseason.

• Like 2

Mike Tomlin thinks things get better by believing they will get better. Case in point: 

We need to get better and we will be. Why? Why will Matt Canada be better? Im not discounting the Ben issue (picture above in the link I shared about vertical passing). But what did Matt Canada hang his hat on this year that’s anyone believe it gets better. 

Tie Tomlin's job to Canada…

Please remember that Canada changed zero percent of the passing plays because of Ben.  If you want to ***** at the running game that  is all Canada.  We can see next season but I would hope that they throw out most of the passing plays and design a scheme that their players can run.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Please remember that Canada changed zero percent of the passing plays because of Ben.  If you want to ***** at the running game that  is all Canada.  We can see next season but I would hope that they throw out most of the passing plays and design a scheme that their players can run.

Even at that there was the QB element to the run game that was missing.

• Like 1