Hyde - Truth and Myth (134 MB)

skibrett15

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Literally nobody here except for Palmy wanted the Packers to re-sign Hyde.  Literally everybody here complained about him, myself included.  I'm glad he's having a good year in Buffalo, but he wouldn't have had a good year here because he can't do what he was asked to do here.  That's the truth of it. 

For what it's worth.. I was one of the Hyde supporters. I wasn't screaming for GB to resign him, but I always felt like Hyde took way too much heat. Dude made a ton of clutch plays for us during his tenure here. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hyde would be playing the same role as Jones/Burnett were he on this team in 2017. 

He might play instead of Brice if the team was committed to Jones/Burnett at ILB/S.  If he is playing the same role as Jones/Burnett it's a problem with the scheme.  Pretty clear that Hyde would be a better player option than Brice in every capacity.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're seeing the truth with Turnovers in the NFL. A guy with 12 picks in a season isn't just a great DB. He's also been lucky as hell. 3 Tipped ball interceptions is a lot in a season, to say nothing of half a season.

Sure.  I mean, Randall has 2 already also and no one is calling him a great DB.  It also means you catch all the tipped balls in your area, and get to some that are out of your area.  Luck is preparation meeting oppty and all that...

3 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

For what it's worth.. I was one of the Hyde supporters. I wasn't screaming for GB to resign him, but I always felt like Hyde took way too much heat. Dude made a ton of clutch plays for us during his tenure here. 

I wanted him back until I saw the money. Then it didn't make sense.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

At $6M/year, that was too big a price to pay for what he was bringing to Green Bay.  He wasn't going to supplant HHCD or Burnett at safety, and he wasn't a very good corner.

Clinton-Dix and Brice - not Burnett - are the safeties. Hyde would/could have replaced Brice. He wasn't a great corner, but he was better in the slot than Rollins. He could also get you out of a game on the boundary like he did last year against the Lions (where he had an INT in coverage on Tate). He was also a decent punt returner. I could be wrong, but I also don't think he ever missed a game with an injury, which is pretty astonishing in Green Bay.

$6 million/year would be pretty easy to justify especially considering some of the other contracts on this team.

22 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

$6 million/year would be pretty easy to justify especially considering some of the other contracts on this team.

Justifying those 6 million may be easy, fitting them is not. You add those 6 million to resign Hyde (not even counting that we don't know if he wanted to stay here or not), you're not signing Brooks (3.5m) + Dial (750k) + Kendricks (2m).

I thought the blemish on TT was that he signed too many of his own guys and not enough outside guys, but I guess it's the opposite now.

I'm not even a TT lover but this kind of revisionist history really makes it hard to not defend him.

5 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I thought the blemish on TT was that he signed too many of his own guys and not enough outside guys, but I guess it's the opposite now.

I'm not even a TT lover but this kind of revisionist history really makes it hard to not defend him.

You're barking up the wrong tree with this. I've already called out the hypocrisy.

I've not claimed that Hyde should have been re-signed or that not re-signing him was the wrong move, though I could see how you could infer that if you read into it too much. I'm just sayin' he'd be an upgrade and/or better value than guys currently on the Packers roster, specifically Cobb, but also Brooks and Bennett who have both contributed next to nothing. That doesn't mean that those were bad signings at the time (since you have to explain everything to the nth degree on here), but to this point they have been bad signings.

7 minutes ago, LargeFarva said:

You're barking up the wrong tree with this. I've already called out the hypocrisy.

I've not claimed that Hyde should have been re-signed or that not re-signing him was the wrong move, though I could see how you could infer that if you read into it too much. I'm just sayin' he'd be an upgrade and/or better value than guys currently on the Packers roster, specifically Cobb, but also Brooks and Bennett who have both contributed next to nothing. That doesn't mean that those were bad signings at the time (since you have to explain everything to the nth degree on here), but to this point they have been bad signings.

I misunderstood you then, thought you were advocating that he should have been resigned, my bad.

I agree that he would be a nice piece to have if possible and all this talk about how he wouldn't be playing the same role here makes me wonder again whether we're getting the best out of our players. I'm not worried that revisionist history happens with Hayward and Hyde - I'm worried that they are playing better in a different scheme. Most people agreed with letting those players go because they weren't special or needed here. Maybe the scheme that benefits them hinders some other DBs instead, but it's still something to chew on.

I also agree many of the FA signings have been underwhelming, either due to production or injuries, but I guess it's the nature of the game. It just goes to show that holes aren't plugged that easily.

59 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I agree that he would be a nice piece to have if possible and all this talk about how he wouldn't be playing the same role here makes me wonder again whether we're getting the best out of our players. I'm not worried that revisionist history happens with Hayward and Hyde - I'm worried that they are playing better in a different scheme. Most people agreed with letting those players go because they weren't special or needed here. Maybe the scheme that benefits them hinders some other DBs instead, but it's still something to chew on.

There are so many factors to consider it's tough to say. It's kinda the same thing with House, though. For whatever reason, he wasn't a scheme fit in Jacksonville, but he's been the Packers best CB and one of the best CBs in the league (40.2 QB rating allowed per PFF).

Sure, Hyde is a bit better than Bryce when you move Burnett to LB, but ideally, Jones will progress and take the ILB reps leaving Burnett at S. Even if he doesn't, Hyde isn't worth close to that contract for that role. He's a decent player, might make a pretty solid S, but he wasn't going to beat out Burnett or Clinton-Dix for reps there so you aren't even going to consider making him a competing offer if someone like Buffalo wants him to start.

10 hours ago, LargeFarva said:

Clinton-Dix and Brice - not Burnett - are the safeties. Hyde would/could have replaced Brice. He wasn't a great corner, but he was better in the slot than Rollins. He could also get you out of a game on the boundary like he did last year against the Lions (where he had an INT in coverage on Tate). He was also a decent punt returner. I could be wrong, but I also don't think he ever missed a game with an injury, which is pretty astonishing in Green Bay.

Brice wasn't slotted to be our starting safety, and it wasn't until after camp and preseason that we knew that they viewed Kentrell Brice as our starting safety next to HHCD.

10 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Is there a thread on the old site right after he signed with Buffalo? That's what I want to see. I want to see what I even said lol

Didn't see one, did find this though:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585229

There is probably more discussion elsewhere but it's pretty clear the general idea was let him test the market, if it's soft, make an offer. It definitely wasn't soft. He got a high bar deal for his ability, and we all pretty much agree he's not worth that here.

Archived