Graham Glasgow takes pay cut

broncosfan_101

31 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Probably doesn’t need it’s own thread, but maybe we’ll get some discussion about the 2022 OL here. 

Anyways, as the title says, Glasgow took a $5.3M pay cut to stick around, with some playing time incentives that could bring back up to $1.4M of that. As per Field Yates on the twitter.

It certainly makes him more attractive as trade bait. He's not unseating Meinerz and you don't pay backup IOL that much. Maybe they're tired of Cush although he keeps showing improvement.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

It certainly makes him more attractive as trade bait. He's not unseating Meinerz and you don't pay backup IOL that much. Maybe they're tired of Cush although he keeps showing improvement.

When your other 4 IOL’s are still on their rookie deals, while not ideal, you can pay a backup $7M. Plus, his new cap hit is $7.1M, but it would’ve been $3M this year to cut him (plus another $3M next year). So essentially, we brought him back for $4.1M. All good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

When your other 4 IOL’s are still on their rookie deals, while not ideal, you can pay a backup $7M. Plus, his new cap hit is $7.1M, but it would’ve been $3M this year to cut him (plus another $3M next year). So essentially, we brought him back for $4.1M. All good.

Great deal, no doubt about it. I just think Paton see's him as a draft pick rather than a roster guy. I'd expect another mid round pick on the IOL this year to replace Schlottman as a backup. Maybe higher. Cush will be the key. If they're happy with his continued, if slow progress we're set on the IOL. If not, Meinerz, who has improved immensely in his 1st year will take over there. That kids an IOL star in the making.

Oh yeah, thanks for starting this thread. Actual football talk. 

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

I think the most standard roster formation has 9 offensive linemen, 4 tackles and 5 interior guys. Keeping Glasgow around, the 5 interior guys seem to be set; Risner, Muti, Meinerz, Cush, and Glasgow. I do wonder how often a team returns an entire positional unit from one year to the next, especially after a coaching change. If Munchak were to stick around (which I, with absolutely no knowledge of anything, believe to be a real possibility), that would probably help the odds. 

The state of the tackle group is much more questionable, as only Bolles is under contract, with Anderson being an RFA. I think Anderson has shown more than enough to be the 3rd OT, while getting a fair shot at competing for the starting RT job, but I’d love to see at least a day two pick brought in as a potential long term solution. 

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think the most standard roster formation has 9 offensive linemen, 4 tackles and 5 interior guys. Keeping Glasgow around, the 5 interior guys seem to be set; Risner, Muti, Meinerz, Cush, and Glasgow. I do wonder how often a team returns an entire positional unit from one year to the next, especially after a coaching change. If Munchak were to stick around (which I, with absolutely no knowledge of anything, believe to be a real possibility), that would probably help the odds. 

The state of the tackle group is much more questionable, as only Bolles is under contract, with Anderson being an RFA. I think Anderson has shown more than enough to be the 3rd OT, while getting a fair shot at competing for the starting RT job, but I’d love to see at least a day two pick brought in as a potential long term solution. 

I'm a bit interested in Bailey at RT. He's a sleeper but the few snaps I've seen him play he looked pretty good. This'll be his 4th year and maybe ready to break out. I really don't like the idea of Anderson starting at RT unless we've got someone else on the roster that can fill in for Bolles. Anderson's really a great guy to have as a swing OT.

As far as a draft pick, wouldn't surprise me. In todays NFL you really need an OL factory, churning out a new starter or backup every year. Always at least two guys on rookie deals.

I like Anderson as the swing OT and Bailey as the 4th OT. For the RT starter, I genuinely wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back Bobby Massie on the cheap. This was the first year in a long time that I felt the OL wasn’t one of our main weaknesses and that’s testament to coach Munchak. I think we should run it back, largely.

Glasgow will have to beat out Meinerz or move to Center and beat out LC3 

LT - Bolles 

LG - Risner 

C - Cushenberry/Glasgow 

RG - Meinerz/Glasgow 

RT - Massive/other FA/draft pick 

Swing OT - Anderson 

4th OT - Bailey 

Swing G/C - Glasgow/Cush/Meinerz

5th G/C - Muti 

Does anyone know what this means for his guaranteed money this year? 

Honestly, I thought he looked completely cooked this year. He looked in pain at the end of every snap, and his lateral movement looked shot to pieces.

Meinerz definitely out-performed him. Fortunately for Glasgow, Muti certainly didn't impress in his playing time (especially down the stretch). Can't hurt to have a veteran like him in camp to help the young guys; just don't be surprised to see us take interior Lineman from round 4/5 onwards I'd say.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Does anyone know what this means for his guaranteed money this year? 

Honestly, I thought he looked completely cooked this year. He looked in pain at the end of every snap, and his lateral movement looked shot to pieces.

Meinerz definitely out-performed him. Fortunately for Glasgow, Muti certainly didn't impress in his playing time (especially down the stretch). Can't hurt to have a veteran like him in camp to help the young guys; just don't be surprised to see us take interior Lineman from round 4/5 onwards I'd say.

He’s got 6M of dead money they can’t be moved or reduced from his 1st 12M signing bonus.  3.1M 2022 salary guaranteed.  1.4M bonuses below.  

Since the 6M can’t be saved the key number is 3.1M.  It’s also the number team trading for him takes on (plus the bonuses).    As a swing G that’s totally fine.   Starter for a team very much a bargain.   I share your concern overall re: risk of decline but at that number it’s hard to lose.   Depth matters so much.   At same time if we got trade value from him in a mega deal far more preferable than the other younger OL.    Win-win decision here imo.  

• Like 1