Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

Just now, Chiefs_5627 said:

Chiefs re-signed FB Mike Burton to a one-year contract.

One of the few teams that still employs a fullback, the Chiefs put Burton on the field for 94 offensive snaps last season. He also played over 200 snaps on special teams.

From rotoworld

2 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Who do you feel we overpaid for last year? Besides Sorenson because that’sa cop out, nobody knew he’d regress that badly.

Thuney + Brown. Their cap hit last year was cheap at ~8mil combined. But it isn't all about year one. We're about to pay a LG ~18mil/year and also a LT ~16+mil/year. One of those moves would be good without the other. I'm still kinda hoping we trade Brown, move Thuney to LT, and let Allegretti play LG. I know it isn't happening though.

20 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thuney + Brown. Their cap hit last year was cheap at ~8mil combined. But it isn't all about year one. We're about to pay a LG ~18mil/year and also a LT ~16+mil/year. One of those moves would be good without the other. I'm still kinda hoping we trade Brown, move Thuney to LT, and let Allegretti play LG. I know it isn't happening though.

Thuney did alright at LT, but I don’t think that’s the best long term plan.  Not to mention then we basically end up using the pics to replace the player and hope they’re as good.  Is a lot of money, no doubt, but remember the Super Bowl when we tried to cobble together a line?  There’sa reason we stuck money into the O-line.  PM2 was still hearing those footsteps this year.

Just now, EMAW_KSU said:

Thuney did alright at LT, but I don’t think that’s the best long term plan.  Not to mention then we basically end up using the pics to replace the player and hope they’re as good.  Is a lot of money, no doubt, but remember the Super Bowl when we tried to cobble together a line?  There’sa reason we stuck money into the O-line.  PM2 was still hearing those footsteps this year.

I still think we gave up too much, even if Brown played well enough.    

It’s common for Veach to set his eyes on one target and make sure we get them.. no matter what it takes.

I think we are both just refreshed to see we didn’t just run out and pay right away. 

Also I hate the SB argument,   No team is going to be able block that TB team down to their 5th/6th Tackles.    I mean this year we were down to Wylie as our 4th..  If injuries hit us the same this year,  Prince Tega and whomever would have been playing.  We didn’t really upgrade that much at Tackle from the previous year.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Feel like this Frank Clark/Tyreek extension money is holding up progress too.  Bet we’re REALLY wishing we’d locked up Cheetah before the Kirk deal dropped.

If they extend Clark at more favorable terms, then it both releases cap money and reduce the number of FA we need to sign. 

2 hours ago, RedGold said:

I actually like that we haven’t seen any signings from KC yet.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

I sympathize. Highest priority first.  

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I agree. But I also fully expect Veach to overpay for at least one player each offseason.

History is on your side. 

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Who do you feel we overpaid for last year? Besides Sorenson because that’sa cop out, nobody knew he’d regress that badly.

Thuney

There is an actual move. We re-signed Burton so now we have a FB. Burton was quietly an excellent pickup last season. I expected Noah Gray to be our FB.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/3/14/22978477/report-chiefs-bringing-back-michael-burton-on-one-year-deal

Edited by onejayhawk

1 minute ago, kingseanjohn said:

Bye Mathieu, it was nice having you in KC the past three years.

I don't hate this, can't say I love it either. Safety still needs to be addressed in the draft at some point.

I agree, but I think this probably eliminates a round 1 guy like Hill, maybe someone that falls to round 2/3 but even then I think it’s more likely a mid.

Reid has known leadership traits, so that’s a positive.

I'm....fine with this? I don't dislike Clark, the issue has literally always been that the cost exceeds the play. He isn't a BAD player, just an overpaid one. But if his cap hit drops down to about $15M, considering it would've been $13M to cut him....that's not a bad deal. Just kind of blown away that Clark was open to a straight pay cut.

35 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Bye Mathieu, it was nice having you in KC the past three years.

I don't hate this, can't say I love it either. Safety still needs to be addressed in the draft at some point.

I like it. I don't think he's as good as Mathieu, but he is a good bit younger. Still need a solid third guy, but that's easier to get, when we're basically replacing Dan there anyway.

Concern for me is still more about leadership. The secondary didn't really seem to know what was going on when Mathieu wasn't back there. Gotta hope someone else can step up in that regard, still.

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

I like it. I don't think he's as good as Mathieu, but he is a good bit younger. Still need a solid third guy, but that's easier to get, when we're basically replacing Dan there anyway.

Concern for me is still more about leadership. The secondary didn't really seem to know what was going on when Mathieu wasn't back there. Gotta hope someone else can step up in that regard, still.

I read about Reid, seems like he’sa leader, though maybe not as fiery as Mathieu.  Need someone to pick up the heat aspect.

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm....fine with this? I don't dislike Clark, the issue has literally always been that the cost exceeds the play. He isn't a BAD player, just an overpaid one. But if his cap hit drops down to about $15M, considering it would've been $13M to cut him....that's not a bad deal. Just kind of blown away that Clark was open to a straight pay cut.

Yeah, I’m not crazy about keeping him, but when you look at what Ogbah got paid, and what we’d have in dead money to cut him it is what it is.  More flexibility in the draft is the name of the game.  Guess he meant what he said about KC was home now.  Wonder what the out is if he goes to jail.

3 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I read about Reid, seems like he’sa leader, though maybe not as fiery as Mathieu.  Need someone to pick up the heat aspect.

That would help. Jones, Clark, and Gay have all shown some ability to provide some energy. Just not the direction/organization.