Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

Totals are out, by the way. Cutting him would've saved $13M. Keeping him saves $11.5M. For this year, at least, keeping Clark will now cost $1.5M more than what we expected to pay to cut him. I genuinely can't complain about this.

• Like 1

I’m good with Clark.  Kind of interested to see how 2023 is structured.   Pay cut seems odd,  maybe it’s mostly all guaranteed, or partially voided.    That or he just loves KC

I do think he’s a useful player, especially if he’s the 3rd option. 

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Totals are out, by the way. Cutting him would've saved $13M. Keeping him saves $11.5M. For this year, at least, keeping Clark will now cost $1.5M more than what we expected to pay to cut him. I genuinely can't complain about this.

Agreed. I like this move based on what I've seen so far. I just hope there's an out depending on how his legal issues end up going. I still hope we target an edge rusher early in the draft plus somehow bring back Ingram.

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Agreed. I like this move based on what I've seen so far. I just hope there's an out depending on how his legal issues end up going. I still hope we target an edge rusher early in the draft plus somehow bring back Ingram.

Yeah, we definitely need to go further on the DL. At minimum to get back to where we were last year before the draft, and then hopefully draft an edge of the future early on. I'm fine with Clark and Ingram as rentals the next year or two, as long as we use these drafts to get their heirs. Like, I'd be down with a decently high pick this year and next.

FWIW, Ingram only cost $4M last year. He didn't do anything to hurt his reputation, but I'm not sure he did enough to earn a payday either.

Just now, RedGold said:

Reid still has some growth potential as well.  Maybe not Matheiu but I don’t think he’s done developing.   He’s actually over a year younger than Thornhill. 

I think the age thing can’t be overlooked.  If we draft a safety higher or keep Thorny we have a good young  tandem.

Clark, well, I don’t have to love it, but it saves dead money which is huge.  Makes room on the books for other players.  Basically we keep Clark and add Reid (depending on Reid’s deal structure) for about what Clark was in the book for initially.  I’ll be interested to see if we keep chasing Edge (Z) or look to Receiver and our own linemen now, I guess corner moves up the need list too.

40 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

This simplifies a lot of things. If we can re-sign Ingram, Clark and Danna will have a solid three man DE rotation. The foundation is in place. Now we need to build on it. 

32 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’m good with Clark.  Kind of interested to see how 2023 is structured.   Pay cut seems odd,  maybe it’s mostly all guaranteed, or partially voided.    That or he just loves KC

I do think he’s a useful player, especially if he’s the 3rd option. 

Having a chance at another ring seems to be important. 

36 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I really like the Red signing personally. He may not be Tyrann but at least we didn't just mail it in by resigning Dan to start

You know it's just the last name, right? ;)

We will finally have a true SS. Since Thornhill is a true FS we can do a traditional sngle over instead of the now usual two deep set. Another bonus is that Sorenson does not have a position other than ST. 

Here is some imformation on Reid. We signed him for under $11 Million/yr.
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/03/06/kc-chiefs-free-agent-safeties-consider/3/

Edited by onejayhawk

35 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

That would help. Jones, Clark, and Gay have all shown some ability to provide some energy. Just not the direction/organization.

We need that voice on the back end.  I’m hoping what Mathieu did last year in pulling Thornhill under his wing standing with hill fighting for him…wears off on him.

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

FS we can do a traditional sngle over instead of the now usual two deep set. Another bonus is that Sorenson does not have a position other than ST. 

We play a ton of 3 Safety, don’t speak that hate into air.  Luckily Sorenson isn’t currently on the roster so we can still add others.

21 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I have defended Ward for years, I think he unquestionably has gotten criticized unfairly over his time here, and yet....

I wouldn't have matched that. Good luck in San Fran, Ward.

I wouldn't have hated paying him around 9mil/year. But 14/y is a bit high for me. Sadly, with our signing of Reid, I don't think he'll net us a comp pick.

26 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

We play a ton of 3 Safety, don’t speak that hate into air.  Luckily Sorenson isn’t currently on the roster so we can still add others.

We are clearly shorthanded in the secondary since it looks like both Ward and Mathieu will walk. However, a 3rd S is something we can sign for the minimum. Still, Thornhill, Reid, Sneed, and Fenton/Baker is a solid base to build upon. 

That's the situatio all through the defense. DE: Clark, Danna, hopefully Ingram. DT: Jones and Wharton. LB: Gay, Bolton. We have the starters but no depth anywhere. Some of the starters, eg Danna, Wharton, Fenton, might be best as depth. Still, there are no holes to plug, just chinks to caulk. Upgrades are always welcome. 

18 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Yeah.  I’d almost prefer to just bring Watts back, instead of Sorensen.   There’s is almost 0 way Sorensen doesn’t find a way to PT if he’s on the roster haha. 

I don't. Watts has had a couple of moments in his three years, most likely two but it could be three. this is not an encouraging statistic.