Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

I don’t have a problem having a low depth chart player that excels as a special teams tackler. Slater from NE comes to mind.  The problem is when those players end up needing to play I.e. Kemp playing WR.  You’ll pretty much always have some starters playing on ST.  Especially as “starters” become much more situational.

Here's an interesting possible trade between the Chiefs and Panthers from New Arena. It involves Christian McCaffrey coming to KC for CEH and our 2nd round draft pick this year. Seems steep to me, but when McCaffrey is on the field he's a game changer. Great running and pass catching skills with impressive YAC stats. 

When healthy, Christian McCaffrey is the most productive running back in the league. It was just two seasons ago that the Carolina rusher finished the year with 2,397 yards from scrimmage and 19 touchdowns. McCaffrey’s ability as a dual-threat (runner and pass-catcher) is unparalleled. However, health has been a serious issue for the 25-year-old. Over the last two seasons, McCaffrey has played in just 10 games total. Though this isn’t a Saquon Barkley situation where McCaffrey has looked hindered by his ailments. The Panthers RB was great when he suited up in ’21, averaging over 110 yards per contest over seven games.

Perhaps the most terrifying scenario (for 31 NFL teams, at least) is McCaffrey joining up with Patrick Mahomes and company in Kansas City. From a football perspective, it’s an ideal match. The Chiefs looked out of sorts when opposing teams made a concerted effort to prevent the deep ball. Defenses are okay with giving up the short stuff to KC. We saw Jerick McKinnon break out towards the end of the year because of this. Nobody would be a bigger fan of this than Chiefs head coach Andy Reid. Reid has been historically magnificent in empowering running backs who possess pass-catching skills (see: Brian Westbrook and Kareem Hunt).

Prediction: McCaffrey gets traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire and a second-round pick (No. 58)

5 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I don’t have a problem having a low depth chart player that excels as a special teams tackler. Slater from NE comes to mind.  The problem is when those players end up needing to play I.e. Kemp playing WR.  You’ll pretty much always have some starters playing on ST.  Especially as “starters” become much more situational.

We actually keep two but there are also eight players such as you describe and Sorensen.

For what it may be worth, we may already have Lammon's replacement--Zayne Anderson, also technically a CB. He was an UDFA this season, spent time on PS and impressed when in the game for ST.

38 minutes ago, KCsb said:

Here's an interesting possible trade between the Chiefs and Panthers from New Arena. It involves Christian McCaffrey coming to KC for CEH and our 2nd round draft pick this year. Seems steep to me, but when McCaffrey is on the field he's a game changer. Great running and pass catching skills with impressive YAC stats. 

When healthy, Christian McCaffrey is the most productive running back in the league. It was just two seasons ago that the Carolina rusher finished the year with 2,397 yards from scrimmage and 19 touchdowns. McCaffrey’s ability as a dual-threat (runner and pass-catcher) is unparalleled. However, health has been a serious issue for the 25-year-old. Over the last two seasons, McCaffrey has played in just 10 games total. Though this isn’t a Saquon Barkley situation where McCaffrey has looked hindered by his ailments. The Panthers RB was great when he suited up in ’21, averaging over 110 yards per contest over seven games.

Perhaps the most terrifying scenario (for 31 NFL teams, at least) is McCaffrey joining up with Patrick Mahomes and company in Kansas City. From a football perspective, it’s an ideal match. The Chiefs looked out of sorts when opposing teams made a concerted effort to prevent the deep ball. Defenses are okay with giving up the short stuff to KC. We saw Jerick McKinnon break out towards the end of the year because of this. Nobody would be a bigger fan of this than Chiefs head coach Andy Reid. Reid has been historically magnificent in empowering running backs who possess pass-catching skills (see: Brian Westbrook and Kareem Hunt).

Prediction: McCaffrey gets traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire and a second-round pick (No. 58)

Not happening. 

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

We actually keep two but there are also eight players such as you describe and Sorensen.

For what it may be worth, we may already have Lammon's replacement--Zayne Anderson, also technically a CB. He was an UDFA this season, spent time on PS and impressed when in the game for ST.

Not happening. 

Yeah, at this point I can’t trade for McCaffery.  He’s much better than CEH, but he’s hurt more than even CEH is, not to mention the contract issue.

55 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Yeah, at this point I can’t trade for McCaffery.  He’s much better than CEH, but he’s hurt more than even CEH is, not to mention the contract issue.

Is he really better any more? Certainly he was once and had good games this season but Clyde also had his moments. 30 is old for a RB and CM is 31 next season. 

J

25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Is he really better any more? Certainly he was once and had good games this season but Clyde also had his moments. 30 is old for a RB and CM is 31 next season. 

J

You may be right, as I said I wouldn’t make that trade.  We need to be in at least the same roster level of RB talent we are currently at behind him.  We can’t currently afford to invest more money and picks in the RB position.  We have WAY more pressing needs to address.

Edited by EMAW_KSU
Spelling is hard

This one is a bit different. it focuses on safety. Currently only Juan Thornhill is the only regular undercontract. The team would like to re-sign Mathieu and he is the first player covered. Failing that, there are other options. Jordan Whitehead is in interesting possibility. The others have issues, eg age or major injury.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-targets-safety-jordan-whitehead-marcus-maye-jabrill-peppers/

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This one is a bit different. it focuses on safety. Currently only Juan Thornhill is the only regular undercontract. The team would like to re-sign Mathieu and he is the first player covered. Failing that, there are other options. Jordan Whitehead is in interesting possibility. The others have issues, eg age or major injury.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-targets-safety-jordan-whitehead-marcus-maye-jabrill-peppers/

If we’re going to spend FA money there I’d rather it be to keep Mathieu, otherwise a lower (No, sorry not that far lower Dan) guy and a higher draft pick would likely be necessary.

8 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

If we’re going to spend FA money there I’d rather it be to keep Mathieu, otherwise a lower (No, sorry not that far lower Dan) guy and a higher draft pick would likely be necessary.

That's the first option. If that falls through, there are other options.

Whitehead would be a lot less expensive and he's the highest cost of the alternatives. I could see us going with Devin McCourty and a day #3 draft pick.There is a lot of depth in the safety draft pool. 

I'm up for this:

Draft Roger McCreary/CB, Auburn, at #30 and move him to T. Mathieu's position. He's 6'0", 190lbs. He's been available at #30 for all my drafts at TDN. We'd save a ton of CAP space. He has Safety in his background. He's athletic, a gifted tackler and always a leader in the SEC regarding PBU's.

9 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Hitchens gone  ... now it will get interesting in the LB room ... just two left. I assume DOD and Niemann back on cheap contracts as depth  ... but the front line??

I really don’t feel the need to bring back Niemann.  I feel like we can get the same level player with less accumulated years to pay for.

• Like 1