Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

55 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I really don’t feel the need to bring back Niemann.  I feel like we can get the same level player with less accumulated years to pay for.

A Vet Min deal wouldn’t be the worst for Niemann.    Would be rough to lose both guys who were responsible for relaying the plays coming in.    

I wouldn’t be sad if he’s not retained though 

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

According to Onejayhawk, he's only on the team for ST play.

That's what his snap counts say. Do'D had 339 snaps on ST vs 24 snaps on defense, and all but two of those were in the Pittsburgh game. 

Here is coverage on the Hitchens announcement. With Gay and Bolton, we can flesh out with cheap veterans and maybe a day #3 pick.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/starting_linebacker_anthony_hitchens_released_by_chiefs/s1_12680_37240054

Edited by onejayhawk

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Here is coverage on the Hitchens announcement. With Gay and Bolton, we can flesh out with cheap veterans and maybe a day #3 pick.

I think, if the talent is there we could take one earlier than day 3.  Gay has had issues staying healthy and if you get someone with pass rushing skills is it ever a bad thing?  I’m not saying we take a guy in round 1, but sometimes BPA makes sense too.

1 minute ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think, if the talent is there we could take one earlier than day 3.  Gay has had issues staying healthy and if you get someone with pass rushing skills is it ever a bad thing?  I’m not saying we take a guy in round 1, but sometimes BPA makes sense too.

The key is if the talent is there. There is no Michah Paarsons in this draft and we already own the 2nd best LB from that year.

When you say LB you are focusing on things other than pass rush. Those guys are called Edge.  

Most likely we take a DT or an Edge in round #1, tough an OT or WR is also possible. We will almost certainly not take an IOL, RB, QB, or off-ball LB.

J

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

The key is if the talent is there. There is no Michah Paarsons in this draft and we already own the 2nd best LB from that year.

When you say LB you are focusing on things other than pass rush. Those guys are called Edge.  

Most likely we take a DT or an Edge in round #1, tough an OT or WR is also possible. We will almost certainly not take an IOL, RB, QB, or off-ball LB.

J

I agree, I don’t think we take a round one LB.  But a guy like Chenal a true MLB freeing up Bolton and Gay wouldn’t be terrible end of 3rd.

I agree with that last I don’t think any of those positions are round one targets even if BPA, simply because we’ve have holes/needs.

Agreed. The first two picks are considered premium because they are in the top 50-75 picks. Some will say that round #3 picks are premium, but not really. Maybe the top portion of the round. When you are out in the 75-125 region you still expect an eventual starter, but not one straight out of camp. 

That said, I am not looking to take a LB at #94 or #105. This is also a good place to take a safety, swing OT, or developmental WR. Hence, I said day #3

This is a fairly long article on the LB situation post Hitchens. The article likes Darrius Harris as the 3rd LB in a 4-3 and possibly Niemann as a ST ace and backup. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-linebacker-situation-anthony-hitchens-released-nick-bolton-willie-gay-future/?itm_source=parsely-api

Edited by onejayhawk

This one is not bad. It's a look at the potential DT in free agency. Nnadi is one of the less talked about FA. Getting a power DT is a good idea. Jones and Wharton are both penetrating DT but interior pass rush is never a bad thing. One caveat, don't get Suh. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-targets-defensive-tackle-bj-hill-tim-settle-ndamukong-suh/

TouchdownWire published a list of the top 30 players available, which contains four Chiefs. to all you Charvarius Ward haters, he made the list. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-targets-defensive-tackle-bj-hill-tim-settle-ndamukong-suh/

Edited by onejayhawk

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

to all you Charvarius Ward haters, he made the list. 

I like Ward, he’s far from a lock down guy, but there’s certainly value there if he’s not breaking the back.  If someone wants to over pay him, then he’s gone and we move on.  Ward is a value to us because he’sa known quantity, knows the system, it keeps part of the secondary complete and not to be overlooked it gives us options.  I don’t think for a minute us keeping Ward would preclude us from taking a round 1 CB if we really liked the guy there because I don’t think we’re talking a 5 year deal with Ward coming of an ok year where everyone’s last image will be him getting obliterated by Chase in the first Cincy game when we left him on an island repeatedly.