Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

I live in WI, not too far from the Shadows of Lambeau.  Z is pretty widely loved and the guy flat out produces.  That being said, like this move if it didn’t cause holes elsewhere such as safety/tackle.

As I think we’ve all said rankings aren’t changing much right now so we’re circulating the same draft guys.  Like that this could be different news.

Charvarius is one of the less costly possible re-signs. We have Sneed and Fenton still under contract. It's hard to gauge how high a priority this is. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/28/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-charvarius-ward-outlook/

The Combine begins today. Here is some basic info on the Combine itself. We will see who attends to do what.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-kansas-city-chiefs-schedule-tv-streaming-participants/

Edited by onejayhawk

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Charvarius is one of the less costly possible re-signs. We have Sneed and Fenton still under contract. It's hard to gauge how high a priority this is. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/28/2022-free-agency-kansas-city-chiefs-charvarius-ward-outlook/

The Combine begins today. Here is some basic info on the Combine itself. We will see who attends to do what.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-nfl-scouting-combine-kansas-city-chiefs-schedule-tv-streaming-participants/

Here’s the thing, Fenton is ok, Ward is good, Sneed is clearly the best we have.  That being said, none of them qualify as shut down, and I wouldn’t call any of them ball hawk type players.  Is the only thing I like about Elam as a potential fit that I’ve seen mocked to us.

If we don’t keep Ward we are hurting at CB, especially in today’s  pass happy NFL where we are 3 wide the majority of the time.  Fenton played ok when he had to, but I’m not counting on him to be the guy.  Either way we need a third if not a second.

I’d go up to 9-10 Mil for Ward.   Not as versatile as Sneed, but imo he locked down his position better than any of our other DB’s.

Wouldn’t go any higher than that though.  That’s about right for a good starting CB, albeit not elite 

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I’d go up to 9-10 Mil for Ward.   Not as versatile as Sneed, but imo he locked down his position better than any of our other DB’s.

Wouldn’t go any higher than that though.  That’s about right for a good starting CB, albeit not elite 

I think he gets around 4yrs/38mil with around half guaranteed. Small cap hit year one with an out year four. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Here’s the thing, Fenton is ok, Ward is good, Sneed is clearly the best we have.  That being said, none of them qualify as shut down, and I wouldn’t call any of them ball hawk type players.  Is the only thing I like about Elam as a potential fit that I’ve seen mocked to us.

If we don’t keep Ward we are hurting at CB, especially in today’s  pass happy NFL where we are 3 wide the majority of the time.  Fenton played ok when he had to, but I’m not counting on him to be the guy.  Either way we need a third if not a second.

While it is true that all our CB are physical more than coverage, that is the system. We crowd receivers at the line rely on S and and pass rush. That's why the DL has priority over secondary. 

Andy Reid had comments today about our free agents. The short version is that they want orlando Brown back, things are undecided about Mathieu (meaning they want him to take less than market), and Ward will wait to see what the offers are like. Ward is a top 30 FA. He could get priced out of our range.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_gm_brett_veach_sounds_off_on_kcs_plans_for_top_3_free_agents/s1_16631_37259939

The Combine Weigh in is done. Reults will follow for those who participate.
https://www.walterfootball.com/combine

The Georgia DT were interesting. Wyatt came in at 6'3", 307 as expected. Davis was 6'6", 340. Others of note, Jermaine Johnson 6'4", 259 making him legit DE size. OT Daniel Faalele was 6'7", 387. 

Edited by onejayhawk

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Andy Reid had comments today about our free agents. The short version is that they want orlando Brown back, things are undecided about Mathieu (meaning they want him to take less than market), and Ward will wait to see what the offers are like. Ward is a top 30 FA. He could get priced out of our range.

Losing Mathieu and Ward would be devastating for our draft.  There’s no question we need help on the DL, but again we would also need a starting Safety and a starting CB.  I would argue the talent at Edge and Safety is deeper than CB in the draft.  Without knowing the FA aspect I again say a CB at 30 wouldn’t shock me.

Just now, EMAW_KSU said:

Losing Mathieu and Ward would be devastating for our draft.  There’s no question we need help on the DL, but again we would also need a starting Safety and a starting CB.  I would argue the talent at Edge and Safety is deeper than CB in the draft.  Without knowing the FA aspect I again say a CB at 30 wouldn’t shock me.

DL is the priority. If that is all that gets done, then we patch together the rest and do our best with what we have. If we are not a Super Bowl team, neither are 29 other teams. It's better to solve one problem than half-fix several. 

That said, I suspect Ward will be back. Even if he's not, we can always search for the Hughes and Bakers of the NFL world. It's about time for Sneed to take over in any event.

J

13 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

DL is the priority. If that is all that gets done, then we patch together the rest and do our best with what we have. If we are not a Super Bowl team, neither are 29 other teams. It's better to solve one problem than half-fix several. 

That said, I suspect Ward will be back. Even if he's not, we can always search for the Hughes and Bakers of the NFL world. It's about time for Sneed to take over in any event.

J

Again, Sneed “taking over” doesn’t fill a hole when he’s already a starter.  And I’m all for fixing the DL, remember I’m the one you were arguing with when I said Clark had to go because he absolutely has done nothing to earn his money in the last two years, while people getting paid a quarter of his salary were out performing him in the regular across the league.

• Like 1

I expect we go DL round one if we stay at 30.  I could see us trade back and then I think anything becomes a play within reason.  I suspect we see a similar plan to last season where we do FA and draft.  But remember, last year, OL was the priority, but where did we go with our first pick? Obviously the trade played a role there too, so we just don’t know.  

What I’ve figured out with Veach is this, he’s not afraid to pull the trigger, not afraid to make a move and not afraid to think outside the box.  If there’s a DL they feel they need to have, taking up wouldn’t shock me though with our Cap situation less picks certainly seems like a bad idea.

51 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Again, Sneed “taking over” doesn’t fill a hole when he’s already a starter.  

Yes sir.   I'm happy with DL at #30. But there's a possibility we go Safety, like with D.Hill? In that case i'd like us to get a CB sometime before round 4 expires if we don't trade up for another pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Again, Sneed “taking over” doesn’t fill a hole when he’s already a starter.  And I’m all for fixing the DL, remember I’m the one you were arguing with when I said Clark had to go because he absolutely has done nothing to earn his money in the last two years, while people getting paid a quarter of his salary were out performing him in the regular across the league.

It does fill the hole. Sneed takes over as lead CB. Fenton,  Baker, or a FA can take over the other side and the slot. It's not optimal, but there are no holes. 

When you say fix the DL, you need to consider it in the context of how they fixed the OL a year ago. It needs to be the first and second option until you have six players who can do the job. Reed and Clark are bigger shoes to fill than Ward and we need to upgrade. 

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Yes sir.   I'm happy with DL at #30. But there's a possibility we go Safety, like with D.Hill? In that case i'd like us to get a CB sometime before round 4 expires if we don't trade up for another pick.

There is that possibility, but I doubt it. The depth at safety is sufficient that we can and probably should wait. I think a swing OT or WR is more likely, though re-signing OB Jr will change that.

J