Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

11 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

This will hurt our defense so badly.  It also has a significant impact on draft plans.

The leadership more than the play on the field is where it's gonna sting in my opinion. He's a firecracker for sure and gets the guys hyped. Not sure who would take up that mantle if he bails out. Sneed isn't a vocal guy, Ward is borderline mute (if he comes back)...Fenton? Idk gonna be different for sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I’m in the same boat, zero surprise.  Just hurts that other people are walking into free agency as we continue to deal with this long term deal.

I personally believe this was the plan all along. Keep him at around 16 milli til the cap explosion next year then deal him out. He started coming on towards the end of the year so I'm not hating the player but yeah it sucks that we're not gonna be able to keep all our guys.

But on the other hand, we do need to keep refreshing the roster as the defense got pretty stagnant last year. I am excited to see what Veach pulls outta his *** once free agency starts

Edited by Chiefs_5627

I have to agree that OB Jr is the player to tag, if you are going to tag anyone. However, it locks you into certain contract requirements. Just note that if Mathieu walks, it's him walking, not the team giving him up.

I think they want to re-sign Ward and Hughes. Ward could get too pricy and I think Hughes is almost certain to do so. If it happens it happens. Sneed, Fenton, and Baker is as good as they had for the SB win. Fenton player important minutes in that game. 

J

10 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Just note that if Mathieu walks, it's him walking, not the team giving him up.

I disagree too a point.  We have no idea right now what he’s asking vs what’s being offered do you can’t say that.  I think both party’s would like to stay together and I do think is possible Chiefs brass could have said see what’s out there then give us a shot if you don’t like our deal.

Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler...

Charvarius Ward: He has emerged as a key player in the cornerback market and should be paid quite well. Expect the Chargers and San Francisco 49ers to be interested, among others. He might not be paid as much as, say, a J.C. Jackson or Carlton Davis. But don’t be surprised if he’s awfully close.

Wish we could keep him. Hopefully he goes to the NFC and we get a decent comp pick out of him.

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Per ESPN's Jeremy Fowler...

Wish we could keep him. Hopefully he goes to the NFC and we get a decent comp pick out of him.

If Ward get anywhere near JACKSON he is horribly overpaid, and I really like him.  We can’t get sucked into that.  If the CB market is going to blow up this year then we’re better off getting after DL in FA and addressing  secondary in the draft I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Hughes is particularly dreadful. Cut bait

I cannot agree. Hughes was a decent nickel. He was physical at the LOS and a willing tackler. You don't ask for much more than that from your third of fourth CB. Like the whole secondary, the lack of pass rush was telling. Hence the focus on DL. 

In any event, he is drawing some attention on the FA market. The price is the question.

Just now, mayanfootball said:

After every WR would catch the pass because Hughes didn't know how to turn around and find the ball.

WR make catches because that's their job. hughes is not frontline player but he's decent depth and he can develop. 

J

• Like 1

The bottom line is, we can’t keep everyone, nor can we afford to just let everyone walk and bring in an entirely new defensive unit for the most part.  That’s where guess like Hughes if he’s cheap, Baker come in to play.  If we lose Ward, Hughes and Mathieu we have serious issues in the secondary, and that’s assuming we tender Baker.  Losing those three guys, and looking at FA/Draft I would think first round switches to DB and we’re after a younger FA Safety and at least One Edge.  I say this only because the Edge crop is so deep in the draft this year.

• Like 1