2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

Didn’t see this thread anywhere so figured I would create it and see if we can get it pinned.

Anyway to start.  I haven’t watched much football all year, been busy.  Had a friend send me some highlights of Jameson Williams wanting me to compare him to other recent Alabama receivers.

Top 2 things I noticed.  Speed and he played special teams fearlessly.  That tells me he’s tough and loves football (Terry McLaurin was a terrific special teams players and one of my favorites in that draft class for that reason).  Factor in he tore his ACL in the national championship and kept trying to get on the field…..that is a player I am hoping to draft 7 of.  

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him. I’ve only been able to watch a handful of games this year, mostly SEC. I have no idea where these guys rank compared to everyone else but these guys caught my eye at some point this year:

Josh Pashel, edge, Kentucky 

Derek Stingly, CB, LSU

Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

Evan Neal, OT, Bama

Nakobe Dean, MLB, Georgia

Henery Too too, ILb Bama

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him. I’ve only been able to watch a handful of games this year, mostly SEC. I have no idea where these guys rank compared to everyone else but these guys caught my eye at some point this year:

Josh Pashel, edge, Kentucky 

Derek Stingly, CB, LSU

Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia

Evan Neal, OT, Bama

Nakobe Dean, MLB, Georgia

Henery Too too, ILb Bama

I think if we keep #9, Nakobe Dean is an incredibly intriguing option. I like Stingley too, but not sure we dip into the R1 CB pool again. 

Assuming we keep 9, I think the position will be: QB, DL, OLB, RT. Mostly likely one of the first 3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I think if we keep #9, Nakobe Dean is an incredibly intriguing option. I like Stingley too, but not sure we dip into the R1 CB pool again. 

Assuming we keep 9, I think the position will be: QB, DL, OLB, RT. Mostly likely one of the first 3.

I like Dean, he's been impressive this season but as much as ILB has been an issue in the past, it feels like we have some good prospects at the position in Browning, Young, Jewell and AJ. (we should definitely resign Young and one of Jewell or AJ IMO).  A pairing of Stingley with Surtain would certainly be impressive but could also draw more flack on to Paton without having a QBOTF. 

As of now, I really like DeMarvin Leal or Jordan Davis, either would improve our DL. It seems with both Mahomes and Herbert, we need to keep them a little rattled to have a shot at winning. This draft seems heavy in talented EDGE rushers so maybe wait on that until 2nd or 3rd rd  

It’s early, but I don’t think this draft class is very good. It’s always good to have 6 picks in the top 110, and I’ll never complain about it, but if we had these picks in last year’s draft, I think we’d really be cooking. 

With that said, there are at least two positions that look rich and deep, and they seem to match up with major needs: pass rushers, and offensive tackles. Everyone knows about our long term need at RT, but I bet Paton is looking at Garett Bolles’ regression back to being simply good instead of the borderline all-pro version of 2020, and realizing that there’s only $8M guaranteed to him after 2022. It looks like there’s gonna be 3 OT’s worth the 1.9 pick, and I wouldn’t count out the possibility of picking one to play RT long term, but to also give us a contingency in case Bolles’ 2020 was an anomaly. 

• Like 1

Maybe unpopular take but if 1.9 isn't traded for a starting QB (Rodgers, Wilson) then I would advocate for the same thing I did last draft, which is to trade down, pick up a 1st next year and keep trying to set us up for a premier QB. Very early, but there isn't a QB this draft that sounds promising enough to invest a premier pick in. Next year there is potentially a couple that have really stood out (Bryce Young and my fav so far CJ Stroud) and Jake Haener looks promising as well. Those three I would take before any other QB in this draft. Additionally, by trading down this year, we can sacrifice todays roster for tomorrows when we ideally have that star rookie QB. 

That said, 

If we do make the selection, Kyle Hamilton was a superstar safety that might be there due to injury. We have some prospects and safety that we drafted last year in Sterns and Johnson, but Hamilton is on another tier as a prospect (up their with the top prospects in the past decade, if not the best). 

40 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

Maybe unpopular take but if 1.9 isn't traded for a starting QB (Rodgers, Wilson) then I would advocate for the same thing I did last draft, which is to trade down, pick up a 1st next year and keep trying to set us up for a premier QB. Very early, but there isn't a QB this draft that sounds promising enough to invest a premier pick in. Next year there is potentially a couple that have really stood out (Bryce Young and my fav so far CJ Stroud) and Jake Haener looks promising as well. Those three I would take before any other QB in this draft. Additionally, by trading down this year, we can sacrifice todays roster for tomorrows when we ideally have that star rookie QB. 

Let's make it easy and trade down with the team that will have the #1 pick in the 2023 draft.

• Like 1

Just now, grizmo78 said:

If you want to write out a more productive response than just sarcasm, happy to engage more! 

I'm in agreement and jumped a few steps ahead. I wonder how many trade calls teams in the top 10 receive during a typical year. I'd like to believe there's some strategic planning going on and the teams that have the best odds at the worst record (in this scenario) would be more favorable trade partners. Playing it out, who are those teams?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

I'm in agreement and jumped a few steps ahead. I wonder how many trade calls teams in the top 10 receive during a typical year. I'd like to believe there's some strategic planning going on and the teams that have the best odds at the worst record (in this scenario) would be more favorable trade partners. Playing it out, who are those teams?

Always hard to tell via text! 

The giants traded down from 11 to 20 but that was for a more regarded QB prospect that I think anyone this year is. Around that range though, Saints at 18, Eagles, Steelers, and Dolphins (whose position depends on playoff outcomes) would be my main targets. 

This is supposed to be a relatively deep draft in areas we are needing that I don't think a drop that far would be too detrimental talent wise, especially considering how many picks we have overall. Something like trading down from 1.9 to 1.18 with the saints for next years 1st would be enticing enough. Then trade up from 1.18 with our 3rd with baltimore for 1.14 to take Tyler Linderbaum (C) could be a nice way to have our cake and eat it too. 

Edited by grizmo78

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

It’s early, but I don’t think this draft class is very good. It’s always good to have 6 picks in the top 110, and I’ll never complain about it, but if we had these picks in last year’s draft, I think we’d really be cooking. 

With that said, there are at least two positions that look rich and deep, and they seem to match up with major needs: pass rushers, and offensive tackles. Everyone knows about our long term need at RT, but I bet Paton is looking at Garett Bolles’ regression back to being simply good instead of the borderline all-pro version of 2020, and realizing that there’s only $8M guaranteed to him after 2022. It looks like there’s gonna be 3 OT’s worth the 1.9 pick, and I wouldn’t count out the possibility of picking one to play RT long term, but to also give us a contingency in case Bolles’ 2020 was an anomaly. 

EDGE and RT are pretty deep for sure. If we don’t keep 1.9 I’d feel good about going EDGE and T on Day 2.  Very likely it would be justifiable as BPA overall imo.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

The Giants, Jets, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Lions are always drafting  near the top of the draft over the last decade. Of those, the Texans and Giants seem to be the most poorly run and with the QB least likely to take a step forward next year. 

that’s who I’d target in a trade down. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

The Giants, Jets, Texans, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Lions are always drafting  near the top of the draft over the last decade. Of those, the Texans and Giants seem to be the most poorly run and with the QB least likely to take a step forward next year. 

that’s who I’d target in a trade down. 

Agree with the theory but I suspect Giants having 2 top 10 picks at 1.5 & 1.7 will limit their desire to trade up to 1.9 from Rd2.   They already have the ammo to get their top 2 targets. 

If we trade back it’s almost certainly going to be for a team looking to get QB who’s way behind.   Like NO, PIT.   It would be a calculated play that they could crater with a rookie QB.   

If we do trade with a team I hope it’s the mega deal for an elite QB; but if it’s plan B/C realistically it’s trading back to high teen’s low 20’s and hoping that team pulls a Bears 2021 (1.7). 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1