2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Assuming we end up trading for a starting QB, I think most of our picks will end up being on defense.

The other skill positions are pretty set. I wouldn’t be totally opposed to a mid round RB to replace Gordon but I kind of expect Mike Boone to step up and be the primary backup to Javonte Williams. 

Other than that it’s just RT, but my money is on us running it back with Bobby Massie and Anderson.

On the defensive side we have massive needs in the front 7. Bradley Chubb is our only viable pass rusher at the moment. Malik Reed might be back, but he’s a rotational third guy. We desperately need a starting edge rusher. Our interior DL isn’t particularly good either, we need reinforcements there. We are also pretty thin at LB with a lot of outgoing FAs.

Yep, go heavy on D, especially DL/OLB and secondary.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

IMO, needs ranked:

QB 

Interior DL

Edge

RT

CB (assuming BC & KF are gone)

RB (assuming MG is gone)

That’s how I have it as well. On the surface our Defense looked good because they were stout in the red zone and limited the big play,  while the offense played 1980s football where limiting opportunities for the opponents offense was more important that scoring points.

I’ve had the last 5 days off and was able to rewatch the games from this year. I was very underwhelmed with the defense. Honestly our DL sucked this year. In short yardage situations (other than the red zone where we were stout) it was almost automatic (looking at FO it looks like we allowed them to convert on 69% of 3/4th/goal to go and less than 2. 17th in the nfl)

Only 13% of runs were stuffed (30th), we gave up 4.36 ypc (18th) but when you factor in we gave up the 8th fewest big gain (10+ yards) yards it illustrates how they were just consistently manhandled in the run game. 

Assuming we can get something under center I’d love to see us turn that into a point of strength 

• Like 3

Speaking of IDL, how good was Devonte Wyatt in the championship game? The stats don’t pop, but I thought he was an absolute load. Also, my buddy told me to check out Perrion Winfrey’s games vs Baylor and OK State, apparently he was a game-wrecker inside. I remembered the name from the Texas game, where I thought he was mostly invisible but made a couple truly WOW plays. When I get around to it I’ll let you know.

10 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Speaking of IDL, how good was Devonte Wyatt in the championship game? The stats don’t pop, but I thought he was an absolute load. Also, my buddy told me to check out Perrion Winfrey’s games vs Baylor and OK State, apparently he was a game-wrecker inside. I remembered the name from the Texas game, where I thought he was mostly invisible but made a couple truly WOW plays. When I get around to it I’ll let you know.

Wyatt and Jordan Davis really made life miserable for Bryce Young.   Inside push is always harder to deal with.   After a bit of a rough start, they really held up against 'Bama's run game.   

Georgia's D is ridiculous.   There's probably 9-10 guys who are going to get drafted and maybe all the starters end up playing on Sundays (a few as UDFA's).     Crazy.

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Yep, go heavy on D, especially DL/OLB and secondary.

5 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So everything but ILB then 😂

I actually don’t see much investment in the secondary given the number of draft picks we’ve put into it in recent years (PS2, Ojemudia, Sterns) plus veteran starters Simmons and Darby. I think we could honestly spend three or four top 100 picks on front-7 players alone 

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I actually don’t see much investment in the secondary given the number of draft picks we’ve put into it in recent years (PS2, Ojemudia, Sterns) plus veteran starters Simmons and Darby. I think we could honestly spend three or four top 100 picks on front-7 players alone 

I would also skew more towards the front 7, but at the same time, our CB depth chart looks like it’s Surtain/Darby/Ojemudia and then no one else of consequence, so *some* kind of investment, whether that’s through the draft or free agency, will need to be made there. Ideally you’re probably looking at Ojemudia starting training camp in the 5 spot and hoping he moves up from there. And while I thought Darby was fine this year, he’s only got $3M guaranteed money after 2022, and if he puts up another just okay season, I’m guessing we’ll move on, and then we’ll have another serious need there. I’d probably use a day two pick on a corner.

56 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I would also skew more towards the front 7, but at the same time, our CB depth chart looks like it’s Surtain/Darby/Ojemudia and then no one else of consequence, so *some* kind of investment, whether that’s through the draft or free agency, will need to be made there. Ideally you’re probably looking at Ojemudia starting training camp in the 5 spot and hoping he moves up from there. And while I thought Darby was fine this year, he’s only got $3M guaranteed money after 2022, and if he puts up another just okay season, I’m guessing we’ll move on, and then we’ll have another serious need there. I’d probably use a day two pick on a corner.

When it comes to corner, we seem pretty set at the boundary position but definitely will lack a slot corner going forward. Luckily, it seems those guys can be found later in drafts and can have pretty high impacts. Elijah Molden was a 3rd rounder, Kenny Moore II was undrafted, Callahan was undrafted, etc. 

I agree with most on here, we're really weak on DLine talent which makes sense given they consist of basically cast offs besides Dre'Mont Jones. There unfortunately doesn't seem to be that top talent available this year, not sure about depth in later rounds though. Such a big bummer we missed out on Jeffery Simmons in 2019 by 1 pick. 

8 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing Bryce Callahan to play slot corner if the price is right.

Or better still, Chris Harris Jr is a free agent. Bring him home to finish his career in Denver, George. 

A huge no on CHJ.  He's lost a step in a massive way.    His passer rating when QB's throw his way is way up, ADOT allowed is up, YPC is up.  And the eye test shows it as well.   He got screwed on the DPI call on SNF, but he's being beat far more regularly - so much that he was a backup for 3 games that he dressed.   At age 32, it doesn't suggest that he'll continue to regress, it screams to stay away.

If it's a 1-day contract to let him retire, sure.  Vet min where he mentors young guys, and ends up being the 7th DB, maybe (but sooner or later, you end up needing those guys to play).   But if it's real $ to let him play meaningful snaps - no way. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I was very underwhelmed with the defense. Honestly our DL sucked this year. In short yardage situations (other than the red zone where we were stout) it was almost automatic (looking at FO it looks like we allowed them to convert on 69% of 3/4th/goal to go and less than 2. 17th in the nfl)

I think these situations require top end talent, which we just don't have. Sound technique won't stop 3rd and 1/2/3 in the run game. You need players who are capable of explosive plays in the backfield and we simply dont have them. They are rare, but so important.

Donald, Chris Jones, Hayward, Buckner, Jonathan Allen, Tuitt, etc. We are in dire need of something like these guys.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I think these situations require top end talent, which we just don't have. Sound technique won't stop 3rd and 1/2/3 in the run game. You need players who are capable of explosive plays in the backfield and we simply dont have them. They are rare, but so important.

Donald, Chris Jones, Hayward, Buckner, Jonathan Allen, Tuitt, etc. We are in dire need of something like these guys.

Is there a guy like that in this draft?

41 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Is there a guy like that in this draft?

Nope. At least it doesn’t look like it right now, but we all know guys can pop after the draft, too. I still think Demarvin Leal has the best chance of becoming such a player, but he’ll need to be really committed to his new team’s strength program. I do wonder if getting put into a consistent role at the next level would help him. He moved all over the DL at A&M, and I think it’s possible that, a) he kept his body in the type of shape that could be as adaptable as possible to playing inside and outside, instead of adding some muscle mass to consistently anchor at DT, b) keeping him at one position going forward would allow him to sort of master that craft, as opposed to learning how to disengage IOL’s and then also running the arc around OT’s. 

If you get the sense in your interview with him that he’s got elite work ethic, and you can commit to him being a 43DT full time, you could be convinced to take him in the first round. But I still think he’s more of a David Onyemata type guy, a borderline Pro Bowler at his best, than a true foundational DL piece.

• Like 1