2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

17 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Honestly we should go full Rams now and flip some of these picks for veterans 

Don’t need to yet - the pick value is only going to increase as time goes by and we get closer to the draft.   The trade market isn’t going to be quite as hot for useful players because of the big cap increase this year and the extended ability to push cap hell further down the road.  

Agree we should be ready to join in bidding but until the first 2 waves of FA are done may not see a hot trade market for non-QB guys.   As the draft approaches though should see more opportunities.  

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Honestly we should go full Rams now and flip some of these picks for veterans 

I don't know if you want to go full Rams...they are losing a bunch of players and coaches.  I don't see them repeating at all, or even contending in a few years. I am hoping Paton is mixing in win now logic, with we need to think five years down the road when Wilson's skills start to ebb a bit. 

5 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I don't know if you want to go full Rams...they are losing a bunch of players and coaches.  I don't see them repeating at all, or even contending in a few years. I am hoping Paton is mixing in win now logic, with we need to think five years down the road when Wilson's skills start to ebb a bit. 

The other issue is that Paton doesn't know what he has with the coaching staff - he'll need some time to see them in action before going all in. He deserves credit for giving Hackett the tools that he needs to succeed - it's up to the coaches now to prove themselves.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here is what we have for the draft now:

2.64 (f/LAR)
3.96 (/LAR)
4.114 (f/SEA)
5.144 (f/DET)
7.248 (f/SF)

Still not all bad, five picks in the top 114. 

We still have a 2nd this year?  That is awesome.  I would have thought both of this year's 2nd rounders were gone in the Wilson deal. 

8 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We still have a 2nd this year?  That is awesome.  I would have thought both of this year's 2nd rounders were gone in the Wilson deal. 

Yeah we traded our natural seconds for Russ, one this year and one next. We kept the Rams’ this year. I’m sure George didn’t want to not have a pick until 96. Seattle knows next years second will likely be a late one to pair with what will be their early natural one next year. 

Gotta say it's nice not to have to debate this year's QB class.  The only guy with any really high ceiling was Willis - and unlike Lance (as a contrast), he didn't even start until he was 21 (which IMO also limits the ceiling nowhere near as high as recent big-tools guys from past drafts).   The other guys are all older prospects - and so it doesn't pass the "success at early stage" criteria, nor does their toolset give the ceiling you want if it's not a polished prospect outside of Willis.

Eventually, we'll have to find our QBOTF - but barring new injury, Wilson should allow the luxury of not having to worry about it for 4+ years, hopefully 5-6.     Truly the best scenario IMO given this year's class.

Edited by Broncofan

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Eventually, we'll have to find our QBOTF - but barring new injury, Wilson should allow the luxury of not having to worry about it for 4+ years, hopefully 5-6.     Truly the best scenario IMO given this year's class.

Think of it this way: the next Broncos starting QB might not have played a high school game yet. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Gotta say it's nice not to have to debate this year's QB class.  The only guy with any really high ceiling was Willis - and unlike Lance (as a contrast), he didn't even start until he was 21 (which IMO also limits the ceiling nowhere near as high as recent big-tools guys from past drafts).   The other guys are all older prospects - and so it doesn't pass the "success at early stage" criteria, nor does their toolset give the ceiling you want if it's not a polished prospect outside of Willis.

One thing I would say is that we should spent to get a decent backup QB in free agency. Wilson is a highly reliable player and has only missed two games his entire career, but you never know when he might pick up an injury.

Obviously if he tears an ACL (god forbid) our season is over anyway, but I think it’s worth having a good backup QB in case he gets like a month long injury during the season. If you go 0-4 in that month, that takes you from competing for HFA to struggling just to make the playoffs, so you’d like a guy that can still make you competitive in that time. I don’t want Brett Rypien to be our backup QB this season.

Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor would be my targets if no one brings them in to compete to start. 

Just now, paul-mac said:

One thing I would say is that we should spent to get a decent backup QB in free agency. Wilson is a highly reliable player and has only missed two games his entire career, but you never know when he might pick up an injury.

Obviously if he tears an ACL (god forbid) our season is over anyway, but I think it’s worth having a good backup QB in case he gets like a month long injury during the season. If you go 0-4 in that month, that takes you from competing for HFA to struggling just to make the playoffs, so you’d like a guy that can still make you competitive in that time. I don’t want Brett Rypien to be our backup QB this season.

Jacoby Brissett or Tyrod Taylor would be my targets if no one brings them in to compete to start. 

Contenders are well served by having a legit backup.  Having said that - I do think we can let the market play out.  Could end up with a Dalton or similar type looking for work.