2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I am intrigued to see what top tier QB play does to our interior OL. Will Wilson's quick throwing game and movement in the pocket make them look better, or are they as bad as they played last year? In truth, I wouldn't be opposed to any OL position being drafted after the 2nd round. Nobody on that interior OL can begrudge us drafting competition.

Keep pounding that drum. No ones paying any attention.

Edited by AKRNA

One guy I'd like us to consider drafting is Isaiah Likely from Coastal Carolina. If he went to a bigger school, he'd be talked about as an early R2 pick, IMO. There's a chance we could land him R3. He's not an inline blocker, but he's a dynamic and fast TE that can play a similar role to Albert O.

28 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

One guy I'd like us to consider drafting is Isaiah Likely from Coastal Carolina. If he went to a bigger school, he'd be talked about as an early R2 pick, IMO. There's a chance we could land him R3. He's not an inline blocker, but he's a dynamic and fast TE that can play a similar role to Albert O.

Seems pretty clear TE is a given, what will be interesting is if we go inline vs. move, college production vs. tools.   The issue with getting the college producers is that usually their success is based on being more advanced with technique/route running - but often maxxed out physically, and that doesn't translate as well with the jump.   

Guys like Jelani Woods are drawing more attention because of the emphasis on NFL-level elite tools (recognizing that he's nowhere nearly as refined).   Likely could fall into early Day 3 if guys like Woods keep rising up, FWIW.    Likely's tweener status (not just as a move guy, but he fits more of the Delanie Walker TE than the prototypical TE set teams look for) could make him a value target later on.

Edited by Broncofan

On 3/23/2022 at 11:46 AM, AKRNA said:

Keep pounding that drum. No ones paying any attention.

I don’t check into this forum enough to know what is satire and what is real.

I do know there is a strong or at least was statistic that Russell Wilson makes his OL worse because he holds onto the ball too long.  It’s part of what ruined him in Seattle.  

25 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I do know there is a strong or at least was statistic that Russell Wilson makes his OL worse because he holds onto the ball too long.  It’s part of what ruined him in Seattle.  

It's one of his 2 weaknesses, for sure.

The stat that's telling is that @broncosfan_101 alluded to in other threads - when Wilson throws "in-rhythm" (2.5 secs or less) - he's top 3 in the league....right behind A-Rod.   The Hackett system is a really good fit, if you get him guys who can win early (or he feels good enough to throw 50-50 balls)....which we do have in spades.

Either way though, with our 2nd/3rd T's only signed for this year, and Glasgow reaching the stage of his career where decline can come (and why he took the pay cut this year), and a salary that's far from a lock to see him return in 2023 - we should absolutely keep going after OL depth, especially in a draft that's better in the trenches.   Where we'll draft, it's more about 2023+ anyways.

Edited by Broncofan

32 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It’s the drawback of being able to create plays the way he does. You’re not going to make every play you extend and sometimes it can be ugly. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Actually I should have just highlighted the need for IOL. 

Paton's excellent work in FA really now allows us to mine talent first, while filling needs as we move along.   Having 5 picks in the first 120 (albeit in the 64-115 range), I would be disappointed if we didn't hit EDGE/DL/OL/ILB, but that's more because of how deep those positions are this year.     We don't HAVE to reach for a guy super early because he's the best guy at a position. 

And to be clear, we can make the argument for pretty much any position but QB/WR and maybe S, that we're going to want more depth.   Only Bolles is signed past this year for T that we can feel good about (Compton isn't a guarantee to work out),  Glasgow is not worth 9M+ if his play keeps sliding, and Risner we'll have to decide on.    TE is a clear area long-term as well.   On D, we have players at all spots, but in 2+ years, every position other than S will be missing guys we rely on now.   Now, need can be a tiebreaker if the talent difference is minimal (and that will be likely the case at some point in Rd3-4), but we shouldn't see a "who the heck is that guy" type pick Elway was famous for, either (to be fair, Elway was a Day 3 genius, but those day 2 picks outside of Simmons from 2013-17....man).

18 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

What Paton has done in FA is fantastic but really only stage two of a 3-yr plan IMO

Absolutely.   If we didn’t have a 4th place schedule I don’t think we’d be in shape to contend at the same level as the Chiefs or Chargers.   But with Hill gone and a 4th place schedule and all the moves we’ve made - it’s there.   

But to remain contenders completing depth additions would help immensely.   Even if you hit on FA it’s only a value / solution for 1-2 years in most cases.  

• Like 1

Hey I was right about Paton’s free agency approach. I don’t think there’s any position right now that we need production from a day two pick to be a playoff team. The first two days of the draft will be littered with edge players, and I think we’ll take at least one of them. The RB class is CRAZY deep, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Paton/Hackett were aggressive with that position again. Not trade-up-in-the-2nd again aggressive, but I’m quite sure we’ll grab one before the 5th round.

Besides those two positions, I don’t really know. Would always like to see more investment in the DL. But then it’s bargain hunting szn

On 3/25/2022 at 4:12 PM, Broncofan said:

With the recognition on how important OL is, it would be a moderate surprise if Tyler Smith lasts to 64.   But if he did no argument whatsoever in going there.  

Honestly I expect Paton to try and trade up in R2 and/or R3. While Denver does have some holes, I think if there’s an impact guy who slips it makes sense to move up from 64 to try and snag him if possible. 

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Honestly I expect Paton to try and trade up in R2 and/or R3. While Denver does have some holes, I think if there’s an impact guy who slips it makes sense to move up from 64 to try and snag him if possible. 

Yeah I think it would be a strong move especially given the price to move up from 64 to say 50 wouldn’t be that high. 

Our roster lacks depth for young impact guys beyond S and WR, but it’s hard to see 8 guys making the squad and those that couldn’t make the squad would have to be on PS (with no guarantee they could all be snuck through).  So trading up to get more impact guys makes a ton of sense esp since the cost isn’t nearly so high as trying to move up in Rd1 or move back into Rd1 from the 40’s.   It’s a benefit to the success Paton & Elway (his last 1-2 drafts) have had to get us this far where consolidating multiple picks for a better player makes so much sense esp in mid-Rd2.

Edited by Broncofan